Techron right before oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I got a smog test recently after running Royal Purple's relatively still new Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner...and the results were the best I've ever seen on this 1992.

21.gif

I didn't do an oil change after, though. However, very surprised the results were this smooth.

Granted, I have a new distributor and replaced ECU due to EGR not being properly operated by the 'bad' ECU. This was resulting in bad emissions/failing last year. Once replaced it passed easy, this year was even better though new distributor was installed a couple days before getting the emissions tested.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
So I have been reading up on Techron. As I read I see where people add it right before a oil change. the bottle says nothing about doing this. What is the reasoning for this? I always just dump it in a nearly empty tank refill and drive.

Chevron did a study on the usage of techron. In the paper (been posted on this site many times) they found that the oil thickened after using Techron in the gas. Due to this, they advised to run it just before an oil change.

They made no statements of risk or damage done if you don't follow those recommendations.

Thanks I will look for it. I see you are in the KC area too.

The only way the additives could ever contaminate the oil is if your rings or cylinder walls are severely worn. If that's the case, your going to notice a loss of performance and fuel dilution in the oil, and the gas will be much more of a problem than the proportionately small amounts of additives mixed in with the gas. This would also be much more of an issue with a diesel engine than a gas engine being they run double the compression and upwards of 30k psi at the rail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrmason
The only way the additives could ever contaminate the oil is if your rings or cylinder walls are severely worn. If that's the case, your going to notice a loss of performance and fuel dilution in the oil, and the gas will be much more of a problem than the proportionately small amounts of additives mixed in with the gas. This would also be much more of an issue with a diesel engine than a gas engine being they run double the compression and upwards of 30k psi at the rail.

We only have the study to go by. If you have a study done by a lab that discredits the original study, I'd really like to see it. It makes sense that it would cause oil to thicken, though sense it is designed to breakdown carbon structures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrmason

Not quite true,

Even on a brand new engine with zero miles on it there is still ring end gap and blowby, so additives can always contaminate your oil regardless of the condition of cylinder walls or rings.

For years prior to joining Bitog I'd add a bottle of FI cleaner once or twice a year. Carb cleaner every 3-4 months. Much like millions of other people I never gave it any thought as to its impact to my oil.

I'm sitting here looking at a bottle of Redline FI cleaner here's the directions:

Add entire bottle to fuel tank for quick cleanup of fuel system. For best results use one bottle at least every 3,000 miles and add entire contents before filling tank.

Then the go on to say how it is harmless to the 02 sensors, the CC, etc. and it is safe for repeated use.

Redline is well respected here, and considered one of the better FI cleaners. If adding it prior to an oil change was so important, why don't they state it on their label. Please note they also state using it every 3,000 miles, and it is safe for continued use.

I use it before an oil change, but honestly think that is something blown way out of proportion here.
27.gif

Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Redline is well respected here, and considered one of the better FI cleaners. If adding it prior to an oil change was so important, why don't they state it on their label. Please note they also state using it every 3,000 miles, and it is safe for continued use.

Who said it was so important? You love to turn small things into large drama.

No drama. I'm bringing up a point that's all. Some people make a big deal out of nothing was the point I was bringing out. Why the hostility? Especially this time of the year. Chill out....

No drama. I'm bringing up a point that's all. Some people make a big deal out of nothing was the point I was bringing out. Why the hostility? Especially this time of the year. Chill out....

Keep up with backpedaling. Nobody is being hostile towards you, just asking why you make up things to get folks riled up. It is obvious you don't want to answer for some reason.

Keep up with backpedaling. Nobody is being hostile towards you, just asking why you make up things to get folks riled up. It is obvious you don't want to answer for some reason.

Riling people up, you've got to be kidding. I simply stated if adding a FI cleaner before an oil change was so important why doesn't a GREAT company like RL advise people to do so. If anything that should relax people knowing they aren't going to harm their engine using a FI cleaner between oil changes, not rile them up.

Did that answer whatever question you were asking?

A funny thing. Trav said the same thing but you decided to go after me instead. LOL

Last edited:

Good point you have there Demar. Some people tend to complicate simplicity. Me I drive to the gas station, dump the bottle in the tank fill'er up and drive. If it happens to be before an oil change great, if not no biggie.

Badtlc- What drama? The guy brought up a good point. You got something to say, say it nice, it's Christmas. Geezzzzzzz-RD

What's their reason for including instructions related to your oil change?

I don't rely on them to tell me when to use it, let alone when I should change my oil. Of course they'd want me to use it every 3k and as 'maintenance' dosing in between full bottle treatments.
wink.gif

UOAs confirm it puts more insols in the oil. So...there is that. How much longer do you want to have an 'aggressive' cleaning that results in 'potentially' more crud for your engine to have filtered out or cause perhaps particle streaking?

For peace of mind, use it and change the oil.
thumbsup2.gif

The original Techron research established 3k miles as the interval when deposits got bad enough that they required removal.

But that was with the vehicles of that day, with the fuel of that day.

As Trajan said, if you consistently use top tier fuel, you most likely will not need to add anything.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I don't rely on them to tell me when to use it, let alone when I should change my oil. Of course they'd want me to use it every 3k and as 'maintenance' dosing in between full bottle treatments.
wink.gif

UOAs confirm it puts more insols in the oil. So...there is that. How much longer do you want to have an 'aggressive' cleaning that results in 'potentially' more crud for your engine to have filtered out or cause perhaps particle streaking?

thumbsup2.gif

What happens to the millions of people who never heard of a uoa and read the bottle and use it as directed? You think they're wrecking
15.gif
their engines?- I doubt it. There is nothing wrong with doing it before you drop your oil, if that makes you comfortable. But i wouldn't lose a minutes sleep doing it at any point during your run cycle. If I could see some kind of white papers proving that using a injector cleaner and not changing your oil is going to ruin an engine, i'd be real concerned. I think the FI cleaner makers would be a bit worried themselves, co's like Red-line and Chevron test their stuff. I think we tend to over analyze these things. Now adding the cleaner every 3K miles, no need if you use good gas.-RD

Originally Posted By: rockydee

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

What happens to the millions of people who never heard of a uoa and read the bottle and use it as directed? You think they're wrecking
15.gif
their engines?- I doubt it. There is nothing wrong with doing it before you drop your oil, if that makes you comfortable. But i wouldn't lose a minutes sleep doing it at any point during your run cycle. If I could see some kind of white papers proving that using a injector cleaner and not changing your oil is going to ruin an engine, i'd be real concerned. I think the FI cleaner makers would be a bit worried themselves, co's like Red-line and Chevron test their stuff. I think we tend to over analyze these things. Now adding the cleaner every 3K miles, no need if you use good gas.-RD

No, I suppose one particle streak won't cause an engine to blow up. That wasn't exactly my point, though. Nor hardly what I was suggesting. I'm simply referring to perhaps optimal use for those that care enough. If you don't care, move along the meticulous decision making isn't for you.
smirk.gif

Hey, use conventional every 3k miles or 3 months. Don't do UOAs and just follow the directions. Why are we even on this site?

19.gif

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

15.gif

No, I suppose one particle streak won't cause an engine to blow up. That wasn't exactly my point, though. Nor hardly what I was suggesting. I'm simply referring to perhaps optimal use for those that care enough. If you don't care, move along the meticulous decision making isn't for you.
smirk.gif

Hey, use conventional every 3k miles or 3 months. Don't do UOAs and just follow the directions. Why are we even on this site?

19.gif

I'm here for the same reasons you are I bet. I have no idea what your credentials are I won't bore you with mine, lets just say I been around the block, and know my way around an engine.

When you've logged over half a million miles on two engines w/o a rebuild give me a holler. I know how to maintain them, and its not with dino and 3K changes, uoa reports, or adding fi cleaner and dumping my oil. If it works out that way, great, if not I don't lose one bit of sleep over it.

Sorry it bothers you that my opinion differs from yours. I don't go after people who don't agree with me, and ask why they're here. It seems I'm not getting that same level of respect from you. A lot of people get all hot under the collar for nothing.-RD

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

15.gif

smirk.gif

19.gif

I'm here for the same reasons you are I bet. I have no idea what your credentials are I won't bore you with mine, lets just say I been around the block, and know my way around an engine.

When you've logged over half a million miles on two engines w/o a rebuild give me a holler. I know how to maintain them, and its not with dino and 3K changes, uoa reports, or adding fi cleaner and dumping my oil. If it works out that way, great, if not I don't lose one bit of sleep over it.

Sorry it bothers you that my opinion differs from yours. I don't go after people who don't agree with me, and ask why they're here. It seems I'm not getting that same level of respect from you. A lot of people get all hot under the collar for nothing.-RD

Honestly, it felt like you attacked my post. So...yeah. Maybe re-read what I wrote after the tit-for-tat between the previous comments, and notice your response.

Did you not catch my attempt to directly talking about the matter at hand instead of imputing motives to people? Not the goal of my post at all. I'm saying hey lets ignore what a bottle says that is only dealing with advertising how to use their product in of itself. Including oil change instructions or not does not support/disprove methods post-cleaning in any way objectively.

I don't have a problem with alternate strategies, but I simply described what is proven to take place on the small-scale. Did I state it's the only way things should be done? I did not mean to imply anything on those that do w/e the heck they want to do with their cars as opposed.

This doesn't make those that 'dont' do the OCD version neglectful, but at the same time there are numerous experiences of neglected apps getting treatments; through fuel and crankcase, that have bad results after. (hey, maybe they just clogged the fuel filter?)

No, what I try and attempt to bring to discussion is the way to eliminate risk. I was attempting to provide an objective contribution and you attacked it, making it personal. That's why you got the response you did.

Not that it makes it right. That's the entire point. I just wanted to be objective sir, nothing personal. Passion vs hot-head can easily be misconstrued through typing, email, or text. Please, re-consider the point of what I contributed.

Describing the dynamic of what happens after adding fuel system cleaner to your fuel in a concentrated dose is within it's own context.

Now, how can we POSSIBLY prove or discuss what that means over the engine's life? There is no one scientifically documenting their experience.

So, if we reason that adding FSC to a dirty fuel system adds insolubles to the engine oil prove to me it isn't perhaps 'best' to remove those insols by way of a follow-up oil change?

(granted, how many people even honestly buy and use reputable detergent-type FSC that own cars since you wanted to include the entire driving world by your post?)
whistle.gif

Most of the time and in general this doesn't matter in terms of what can be measured. Do you think an engine ever failed after treatment of the fuel system with an in-tank cleaner? That's not what I think. This wasn't an effort to make some personal argument over experiences. Objectively speaking, though it could matter without you ever knowing it at the SAME TIME. lol Which is the entire point.

However, I am sorry about being direct in an attempt of objective discussion. Not the goal and I didn't mean to offend.
frown.gif

The previous comments before mine got me wanting to get to the point and stop attacking people.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that I treated with Royal Purple's MaxClean FSC during this OCI a couple tanks before emissions testing, and I'm not really losing sleep with the emissions test results I got.
smile.gif

11.gif
13.gif

However, I am sorry about being direct in an attempt of objective discussion. Not the goal and I didn't mean to offend.
frown.gif

The previous comments before mine got me wanting to get to the point and stop attacking people.

Fair enough!

When you asked why are we here you got me. So I went back at ya, two wrongs=n/g! No harm no foul, we're good. Merry Christmas-RD
cheers3.gif

Good point you have there Demar. Some people tend to complicate simplicity. Me I drive to the gas station, dump the bottle in the tank fill'er up and drive. If it happens to be before an oil change great, if not no biggie.

Badtlc- What drama? The guy brought up a good point. You got something to say, say it nice, it's Christmas. Geezzzzzzz-RD

No, he doesn't have a point. Nobody in this thread has claimed it was important to only use a cleaner right before an oil change. That is demar making up claims to rile up the masses. He creates imaginary arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back