Parking brake shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bvance554
This is the first time I've ever heard them referred to as 'parking brake shoes' but as has been stated repeatedly it is surprising they are in need of replacement if they are in fact drum brakes. I've driven a car to 250k and sold it with the original rear brake shoes. Have you removed the drums? Because the parking brake going to the floor isn't a tell tale sign of it must be time to replace the brake shoes.

It's not a drum, it's a disk with shoes inside as a parking brake.

The parking brake shoe spec for my 04 Camry is 2mm new,1mm replace.I always use the parking brake and the shoes look almost new after almost eleven years. The shoes are wearing a lot better than old Hosteen.

Jeep parking brake shoes tend to have the lining come loose and bind up inside the "hat". That can cause strange vibrations and ABS behavior. Owners swear they never drove with the parking brake on so the adhesive must be failing, possibly due to moisture or corrosion.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

The rotors come off pretty easily.

Oh heck.. Piece of cake then.

Like suggested above, I just use needle-nosed pliers, although, some of them have retaining hardware, where old-school brake shoe tools can be helpful.

I've had rotor hat P-brakes be such a problem, not being able to release the rotor, that I had to break a bunch of P-brake hardware to force the rotors off. Rustbelt nightmare.

If I ever run into this situation again, I'll do like a shop Tech once told me. "Drive it around the parking lot with the P-brake on" This should remove enough P-brake pad and rust to allow the rotors to come off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back