Kreen treatment plan on 2004 Liberty 3.7l burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed reading your account. Sounds like you're frustrated with the results. I've used BG109 engine flush on the sled with good results, but I didn't have the oil comsumption problem you do.

You can search for it under my name and read up on my experience. Good luck!

About 1300 miles into the Pennzoil Platinum change. I've added a quart and am probably in the ballpark of the same dipstick level as after the change. So I'd say I'm now slightly more optimistic that I did improve it some.

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Sorry for the delay.

I think I only got marginal results in the end. I think I am burning a quart/1000mi. This test was imprecise at best because of not having measured the consumption before. I just dumped the Rotella for 10w30 Pennzoil Platinum and will monitor again.

i would use high mileage oil from now on, maybe try an additive like motor honey, and change the oil more often like every 3,000 miles, and check your oil at least weekly,always keep top off oil with you

No need to add a viscosity thickener alone as that will just deplete the additives by volume; aka replacing 1 quart of formulated oil with something that has minimal additives.

OTOH, Lubro Moly's motor oil saver will thicken but has additives FWIW.

However, a High Mileage like MaxLife syn blend or full syn in appropriate grade is your best bet.

+ Maybe Motor Oil Saver.

If I was dealing with consumption and was attempting to see how a lube choice would affect that, I'd go for a HM oil like that with PERHAPS the Motor Oil Saver to prevent burning through at such a rate.

At this point, you'd be concerned of valves leaking or piston rings sticking to let through too much blow-by. That is assuming not much in the way of external engine leaks of course.

Last edited:
The Liberty still doesn't get a lot of miles but my tracking of the consumption is still indicating very close to around 1qt/a bit more than 1000mi. I'm likely to sell the car before I try much more- I'm wanting better gas mileage and generally safer car for my college age daughter to drive when home. It doesn't even have ABS- it was an option.

Thanks for the update dean... Was right there with you hoping for more success.

Good call on replacing the car for your daughter: ABS in NJ winters... A must

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back