Pre-built system opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted something for no more than this amount of money. I can upgrade memory, and other things in the future as budget allows. I have built a desktop in the past, but for the price it's hard to compete with this. I also have an old Vista machine to rob keyboard, mouse etc from.

The one I tried to link to comes with the AMD-A8-6600K CPU, Win 8.1, ASUS AM88XM-A motherboard, added card reader, and case fan.

Opinions? Thanks Pat

http://www.ecollegepc.com/amd-dual-core-trinity-cpu-value.html $527 out the door.

Last edited:
$240 is not bad, but it's an A4 CPU compared to and A8, and no OS, or shipping included. Though it does have an SSD. I also have a new SSD 128 samsung ready to go into something.

I can't seem to get a list of all the included components.

did you just want a utility PC or do you really want to upgrade it and play PC games (meaning the latest AAA games)?
If you're OK instead with not having the upgrade path to stick in a high end video card to play high end pc games, you can get a lot for your $ just going with a cheap desktop dell.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i384...ds=dell+3847+i3

IF you intend to replace parts, you can downgrade the specs if you're going to throw out parts anyway.

Last edited:
I want a computer I can work on without bloatware, and can be upgraded without proprietary motherboards etc. Gateway and Dell come to mind to mind that I have owned and want to stay away from.

Not into games. Pictures, music, maybe light music editing in the future, and internet with youtube etc. Want to stay with Win 8 and fairly high CPU for future proofing this to last awhile. Thanks

I dunno, things have changed since you last bought a dell. Read some of the reviews (search for bloatware, most are pleasantly suprised there isn't much).

I have a custom-ordered rig for myself, but I bought a new haswell i3 dell for my mom, stuck in more ram and an SSD and it didn't have too much bloatware, and is super fast. Just like 2-3 things to uninstall. If uninstalling 2-3 things is that much of a dealbreaker to spend $200 extra for, then so be it.

As far as the mobo, yes it maybe more locked down, but they'll support today's chips if you want to swap in an i7 down the line to replace an i3. If you're buying for some not-yet-developed future chip or upgrade, you'll be obsoleted out by a chipset change so it's is a bit of a lost cause. So, if you have to upgrade the mobo, you might as well redo the whole rig.

Additionally, these are prebuilt and sold by amazon, so you don't need to deal with Dell (where I've also had a loathsome time with), and you get the box in 2days.

Just trying to address your concerns for which I think aren't such big issues, final decision is yours though.

Last edited:
First, let me say, I am an Intel person.

Go with a I5 (don't worry about the K's).

AMD screwed themselves over and are not that competitive with Intel anymore. While pricing on AMD APU's look good (granted the integrated Radeon tends to perform better than Intel's HDgraphics)... performance when it comes to the editing power, not that great.

If you're just looking to surf the web, an AMD A4 or A6 should suffice.

Search newegg for the best deals (free shipping is always good). If you have a microcenter near by, use them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back