Dodge Challenger/Charger owners w/Police wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes Ford Super Duty is 160 lbft. The work vans E350 get the impact wrench on the steel wheels and survive.

Prior to 2014...

110 for the aluminum wheels.

140 for the police wheels.

The owner's manual for 2014 models says 130 and makes no distinction between the two.

So...what does your owner's manual say?

Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
Prior to 2014...

The owner's manual for 2014 models says 130 and makes no distinction between the two.

You know I looked and found the 130 foot pounds you mentioned. I looked in a 2013 manual and it says 110..,,,,what changed between 2014 and 2013 to warrant a 20lb change?

Where does it mention 140lbs for prior to 2014 for steelies? Fwiw that's what I have my wheels set at

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
Prior to 2014...

You know I looked and found the 130 foot pounds you mentioned. I looked in a 2013 manual and it says 110..,,,,what changed between 2014 and 2013 to warrant a 20lb change?

Where does it mention 140lbs for prior to 2014 for steelies? Fwiw that's what I have my wheels set at

So I did some digging, and I have an addendum to my previous post:

I found the 140 ft/lbs reference in the Charger Police Supplement Manual for 2010.

In 2011, the Police Supplement lists 133 ft/lbs.

By 2012, 110 ft/lbs was the only listing in the Police Supplement, and this is still the requirement for 2014 according to the most recent Police Supplement Manual.

So, the current torque ratings for 2014 models are 110 ft/lbs for the police wheels and 130 ft/lbs for all others.

All manuals can be found here by clicking on this text.

Thanks for the information and the link...well I'll be darned...

Why would they keep flipping the foot pounds around from year to year?

Its not like there were any changes in the model...

So I'm sitting at 140 lbs on each wheel...am I doing any damage?

Well I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the lug nuts? I know if you want to use the dog dish hubcaps you need to use special lug nuts. I'm using standard lug nuts that came with the rims from Tire Rack

Bumping this back up...

I got this info from a Dodge Technician over on th Charger Forum

2006-2010 models- 110 lb-ft torque for all wheels except police, 140 lb-ft torque for police wheels.

2011-2014 models- 110 lb-ft torque for aluminum wheels, 133 lb-ft of torque for steel wheels.

He said the information comes from Chrysler Dealer Connect which all the Chrysler techs use for their information.

Why such a difference on what is in the manuals and supplements vs what this tech is saying is provided by Dealer Connect?

I'm at 110lbs right now which is what the 2014 Police Supplement states....not the 133 he is saying

I'm at 110lbs right now which is what the 2014 Police Supplement states....not the 133 he is saying

Well ... you THINK you are at 110lbs.

When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated? It is very common to see 10-15% error in torque wrenches most people use. This would put your "110lbs" at anywhere from an actual 94lbs to an actual 127lbs.

Further, the torque value for your application (street use of steel wheels) is not that critical - a few pounds either way will not make any difference in real life.

My suggestion to you is to split the difference in what you think are acceptable specs for your application - which I guess are 110lbs and 133lbs. That would put your compromise torque value at 122lbs.

So ... torque your wheels to 122 lbs and be happy. Re-check torque after 500 miles to assure everything is still fine, and enjoy your ride.

HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Well ... you THINK you are at 110lbs.

When was the last time you had your torque wrench calibrated? It is very common to see 10-15% error in torque wrenches most people use. This would put your "110lbs" at anywhere from an actual 94lbs to an actual 127lbs.

Further, the torque value for your application (street use of steel wheels) is not that critical - a few pounds either way will not make any difference in real life.

My suggestion to you is to split the difference in what you think are acceptable specs for your application - which I guess are 110lbs and 133lbs. That would put your compromise torque value at 122lbs.

So ... torque your wheels to 122 lbs and be happy. Re-check torque after 500 miles to assure everything is still fine, and enjoy your ride.

HTH

FWIW I have never, ever put a torque wrench to a wheel. I just have acquired a "feel" for proper tightness. Never had any issues whatsoever will galling, wheels coming loose, etc. IMO you're overthinking this.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

FWIW I have never, ever put a torque wrench to a wheel. I just have acquired a "feel" for proper tightness. Never had any issues whatsoever will galling, wheels coming loose, etc. IMO you're overthinking this.

I think you are probably right on the overthinking part....now it's more of a why does it say one thing in the Owners manual and the techs are being fed something else...and why from 2013 to 2014 a change in foot lb values?

Other than that you are spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back