new guy with a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moto367
Not disputing any of you guys but I'm having a hesitant time to let the oil go that long btw/ changes. I understand the manufactures have done their homework, etc. but man...10k miles?!?! At the very least should I change the filter maybe every 4k? Thanks for all the replies and help. I have much to learn.

Do not change the filter early. As a filter loads up it becomes more efficient. So changing it early actually allows larger particulate through the filter which in theory causes more wear than smaller chunks.
I run mid tier filters like the fram tough guard for 20000 miles/30000kms,so if you use a top notch filter like the fram ultra it's actually made to hold more contaminants and will easily do your 10000 mile interval.
There are lots of us here who are running extended drains and extended filter changes,and not a single person has had an oil related issue.

Hi Moto376! Yes, the 0W-20 oils are all synthetic oils – and Pennzoil actually has two 0W-20 full synthetic options: Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 motor oil with PurePlus Technology and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 motor oil with PurePlus Technology.

We are perplexed as to where the “synthetics tend to fling off moving parts more than conventional oils” comment comes from. We aren't familiar with that theory and we don’t necessarily subscribe to it.

And finally, with regard to the “0W” viscosity question: simply put, a multi-viscosity motor oil name indicates two viscosity measurements – one viscosity measure is at a “winter temperature” (the lower number with the W next to it), and one is at “engine running temperature” (the higher number). So, for example: a 0W-20 multi-viscosity motor oil has a Cold Cranking viscosity of “0W,” measured at minus 35C (minus 31F); the same 0W-20 multi-viscosity motor oil has a Low Shear Viscosity of “20 wt,” measured at 100C (212F); etc.

In addition, you are correct - all things being equal, synthetics should flow to your engine’s top-end quicker than a conventional mineral oil as they have lower pour points to begin with. Hope some of this info helps Moto367! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Pao isn't polar,but poe's are,as are group 3 synthetic basestocks so the answer to your question is yes and no.
Most common syns use a group 3 basestock which are polar however most extended drain oils contain a higher concentration of pao but in all honestly it's a non issue.
As far as pumpability goes that's only an issue in extreme cold,so if you live in a warmer climate it's not a huge deal.
Your engine requires a 0w-20 because they are all synthetics and have a high minimum standard because of the long drains expected of it.
As all here will confirm I'm not a mobil fan at all however their afe 0w-20 is the best oil for the price on the shelf. There might be better oils out there but they cost significantly more and might perform marginally better.
So stick with the afe and follow the oil life monitor and the wheels will fall off the car before the engine wears out.

Curious why you are not a Mobil fan , and why their 0w20 is regarded as one of the top. I have a new CRV I need to maintain. Thanks

Quote:
synthetics have the tendency to "fling off"

All that counts are the results. My Volvo turbo had 202,000 miles when I sold it, most on synthetic 5W-40, ran very strong and smooth, and some of the factory machining marks were still visible on the cam lobes. Don't over-think these things. All that counts are the results.

No, a 0W oil won't run off the parts too fast. The 0W means two things--it meets the cold viscosity standards at a lower temperature than a 5W, and it gives a sliver better gas mileage. Neither is very important unless you live in a frigid winter region.

Is the 20 wt part of the oil adequate? The engine maker thinks so, and backs it with their warranty money. A 100,000 hp very large diesel engine uses 30 wt crankcase oil. A 90,000 hp 777 jet engine uses 5 wt. It all depends on what the engine is built to run with.

The only problem I have with Mobil I 0w-20 on the dipstick is seeing it. Even with 5000 miles on the oil, the level is hard to discern on the dipstick. My Camry V6 thanks me for using Mobil I every time I take it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back