Why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Quaker State. I wait until someone has it on sale or runs an oil change special and by it then. If it's all truly the same, then why not have a particular brand? I also like Havoline. My grandfather used a good bit of Havoline, as did a mechanic my dad worked for when he was my age or thereabouts.

I used to be picky and stay with one brand.Todays motor oils are a lot better now so i get what ever is on sale.I usualy get Castrol GTX Quaker State Pennzoil and like to try out MotoMaster Formula 1 conventional

Originally Posted By: Indy
I used to be picky and stay with one brand.Todays motor oils are a lot better now so i get what ever is on sale.I usualy get Castrol GTX Quaker State Pennzoil and like to try out MotoMaster Formula 1 conventional

How do you find the Formula 1 conventional? I just picked up a jug of 5w20 from CanTire on special and will be using it for the first time for my next fill.

Well Oily_hair i made a statement that i would like to try the MotoMaster Formula 1 conventional and i am due for a oil change soon on my wifes car and my truck which both call for 5w20.Its on sale and gee wizz 13.69 is a good deal

Yup, it's a great deal and I would have loved to go wild buying more jugs but I already have PYB and Valvoline WB jugs in my oil supply.

NAPA brand oil. I do a ton of business with my local NAPA for where I work. So when I need to do an oil change I just call them and have them send over their house brand when its on sale.

For my own car, I prefer Redline because of its properties, resistance to shear, high HTHS for a given weight etc.

For any other car I'm working on I prefer triple qx, it meets SPF and I get it CHEAP!

What is conventional wisdom on the Pennzoil Natural Gas stuff?
Seems like it would be the best thing going if their claims of engine cleanliness are true. Im being woo'd by their marketing...

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
What is conventional wisdom on the Pennzoil Natural Gas stuff?
Seems like it would be the best thing going if their claims of engine cleanliness are true. Im being woo'd by their marketing...

I would be interested also to get an answer on this

I use Exxon products (usually Mobil Super 5000) because my family owns stock in the company. If not for that, I would probably run PYB because I like the color of the bottle.

i used to only use M1. When i found BITOG i started branching out and using a little of everything. My top choices are Valvoline and M1. the only reason is i like supporting Exxon/mobil and Ashland. Both are American companies and i like that.

If we could Get Kendall full synthetic oils here i would like to use those as well. i like the look of the bottles...

Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
I prefer Amalie because it is an iconic, great American oil and has been since 1903. They have a cool history and contributed heavily to the industry like that they invented multi-viscosity oil. My grandfather used it since the 1950's, my dad used it since the 1960's, and I've used it all my life too. It's always kept our engines clean, running well, and all that stuff. Most people don't realize that many other oils like Valvoline and rotella are made (blended) by Amalie in the Amalie facility. I hope Amalie gets out of just being known regionally (Florida and up the East coast) and gets their name back out there, because their oil is awesome!! Buying Amalie is easy from amaliestore.com , they have free shipping too!!

As opposed to Schaeffer, an American company that has been involved in oils since 1839? In fact the oldest lubricant manufacturer in the U.S. And I get free shipping on the Schaeffer also!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
I prefer Amalie because it is an iconic, great American oil and has been since 1903. They have a cool history and contributed heavily to the industry like that they invented multi-viscosity oil. My grandfather used it since the 1950's, my dad used it since the 1960's, and I've used it all my life too. It's always kept our engines clean, running well, and all that stuff. Most people don't realize that many other oils like Valvoline and rotella are made (blended) by Amalie in the Amalie facility. I hope Amalie gets out of just being known regionally (Florida and up the East coast) and gets their name back out there, because their oil is awesome!! Buying Amalie is easy from amaliestore.com , they have free shipping too!!

As opposed to Schaeffer, an American company that has been involved in oils since 1839? In fact the oldest lubricant manufacturer in the U.S. And I get free shipping on the Schaeffer also!

Right....nothing wrong with Schaeffer. So it's not "opposed" to Schaeffer having a great history and/or being an American company. I actually happen to like Schaeffer, but 'prefer' Amalie. I thought the question was why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i used to only use M1. When i found BITOG i started branching out and using a little of everything. My top choices are Valvoline and M1. the only reason is i like supporting Exxon/mobil and Ashland. Both are American companies and i like that.

If we could Get Kendall full synthetic oils here i would like to use those as well. i like the look of the bottles...

I like the fact that you care if it is an American company. I am the same way. M1 and Valvoline are both great oils and I've used them both. There are too many great American companies producing oil for us to give our business to away to foreign companies. Amalie Oil actually blends for Valvoline in their Tampa, Florida facility.

i have an oil leak and for some reason super tech (any flavor) leaks out faster than other oils, so i no longer buy super tech

I love the brand name "Wolf's Head." (Possibly because one of my cats is named Wolf. One of these days I'm going to fasten the "head" part of their logo onto his carrier.) But I've never used it -- I don't think the company sells it around NO.

Except for the big jump in oil usage that Castrol Edge caused, or contributed to, in my 3800-powered Park Avenue, I've never had a bad experience with any of the quality oils. So, much as I hate to admit it, marketing does ride around in the back of my head and work to influence me. (Example: "Castrol GTX is made for today's smaller engines!")

The Jeep 4.0 seems to like the high moly Pennzoil conventional oils. Its about the same price for other comparable oils at WM so I just stick to it. Occasionally I but individual quarts for $3 each when my BITOG'R inner self wants to escape.

Big_3_Only said:
I prefer Amalie because it is an iconic, great American oil and has been since 1903. They have a cool history and contributed heavily to the industry like that they invented multi-viscosity oil. My grandfather used it since the 1950's, my dad used it since the 1960's, and I've used it all my life too. It's always kept our engines clean, running well, and all that stuff. Most people don't realize that many other oils like Valvoline and rotella are made (blended) by Amalie in the Amalie facility. I hope Amalie gets out of just being known regionally (Florida and up the East coast) and gets their name back out there, because their oil is awesome!! Buying Amalie is easy from amaliestore.com , they have free shipping too!! [/quote

This is interesting, I have a warehouse not far from me in Indiana. Thought provoking website, I wonder about the Wolfs Head too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back