Drove my Ecopia 422s in snow for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning we had 3" of snow on the ground. It was pretty slick because the temps have been around 32F for a while. I have never been and never will be a tire expert but I was happy with the performance. I never had any unexpected wheel spin when starting. No ABS chatter when stopping. Of course the wheels would spin when I goosed the gas to see how slick it was and ABS kicked in when testing how slick it was for breaking. I always test both before I head out of my subdivision so I don't get surprised.

Side streets were untouched snow and were fine. Highways were slushy and wet. Never felt on the edge or anything. Traffic was mainly moving at 45mph. I had some stops going up hill and had no problems getting going.

I'm sure I'll get to test them out in some deeper snow soon enough but for now I just thought I'd share.

I've read that Bridgestone's Ecopia line is competent in the snow. They have a lot of tread siping that should be good for that. How's the tire otherwise? Good wet traction? Handling?

They make both the Ecopia EP422 and the Dueler H/L Ecopia EP422 in the right size for our CR-V, and I'm considering both this spring. '422' is for Earth Day (April 22), and I'm hoping to wait until then to catch a potential sale.

I put on the Dueler H/L Ecopia 422 on my Element this year. My old Toyo Open Country HT (still has 9-10/32nds on it) were slipping and sliding all over in any kind of rain, not to mention cold weather.

I only had the new tires on for a couple thousand miles (before snow), but in the rain, it was much better. It was noticeable when accelerating from a stop in slightly wet condition, and I tend to accelerate fairly slowly, plus the Element is not a torque monster.

The tires were yielding pretty good gas mileage. Checking the specs, I saw that they were 5lbs+ lighter per tire in the same size compared to many other options. They were also dead silent. The Element isn't a luxury car, but below 50mph, I couldn't hear any road noise. Above that, the wind noise takes over. At the same time, I switched from the stock alloys to RSX wheels, shaving a couple more pounds per corner. I don't know if it's the tire or the lighter combination, but the ride quality improved as well.

I decided to go with snow tires this season due to a good deal, so I can't comment on snow traction. We've been light on snow in Chicago this season so far, so I haven't had to test out the snows either.

btw, the EP422 is the one marketed towards cars, the Dueler 422 (without EP) is marketed towards crossovers/SUVs. I'd probably get the Duelers for a CRV, if only for the better tread life.

Edit:
Was curious between the difference of the same size EP422 and Dueler H/L 422. Other than the treadwear rating, at the same size, 225/65R17, the Duelers are H rated while the EP422 are only T rated, but at a $20 premium on TR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've read that Bridgestone's Ecopia line is competent in the snow. They have a lot of tread siping that should be good for that. How's the tire otherwise? Good wet traction? Handling?

They make both the Ecopia EP422 and the Dueler H/L Ecopia EP422 in the right size for our CR-V, and I'm considering both this spring. '422' is for Earth Day (April 22), and I'm hoping to wait until then to catch a potential sale.

I don't really push the car to its limits so I'm probably not a good one to answer, but here goes:
- They are quieter than the previous Turanzas
- Wet grip is good. Never had trouble starting or stopping on wet asphalt or concrete. I don't know that they are great but it takes a fair amount of effort to spin the tires when wet.
- The ride is not as firm as the previous turanzas. Even though they are the same size, they ride like they have a taller sidewall if that makes sense. I like the comfortable ride since I'm getting older.
- Dry traction seems good. I haven't ever had ABS kick in or had wheel spin in dry conditions other than one time which wasn't on the tires. I have had to slam the brakes a few times on the interstate and the stops always felt under control and secure.

- MPGs...I wish I could give a definitive answer on this. It most definitely did NOT get worse when putting on new tires, so that is good. But my daily commute has been under construction since I bought these tires and I have been unable to get some consistent round trips to work under my belt. If I had to guess, i'd say right now they probably added about .5 MPGs but I hope to have a better answer to that next summer when the construction should be done and I don't see so many traffic jams.

Thanks. I think these are the tires that I *should* get. I keep getting lured by cheaper options, but from all accounts, these likely tick most of the boxes for me.

yeah, they would typically be more than I would spend but the stars aligned for this. I really liked what I read on these tires and my previous turanzas (OEM) developed sidewall cracking. Bridgestone warrantied them out via my local Firestone Auto and gave me 65% off of the Ecopias. It is the first time I have paid for a top shelf tire brand.

I pushed these tires in the rain this morning to see how they did. It took a lot of effort to get them to spin from a standing start. Pushing brakes hard I was never going fast enough to get ABS to kick in. They felt good to me.

Glad to read the Ecopias are working well for you. I bought a used 2007 Tahoe in August and put Dueler H/L Alenza plus on it. This is the 2nd Gen Alenza that comes with an 80,000 mile warranty. So far, these tires have been a very good match for this big, heavy truck. They are smooth and quiet. No snow here yet so I'll be interested to see how they work in 4WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back