Hot water heater install cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced our water heater last year with a 40 gal. gas heater. Total cost was $750 bucks and yes there was some plumbing needed. I know this for a fact as I helped the plumber as I know him personally and count him as a friend. No permit needed in Indiana.

Here's the one he put in, ya, he probably got a discount, but he and his family need to eat too.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2421939-c-8690.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Replaced our water heater last year with a 40 gal. gas heater. Total cost was $750 bucks and yes there was some plumbing needed. I know this for a fact as I helped the plumber as I know him personally and count him as a friend. No permit needed in Indiana.

Here's the one he put in, ya, he probably got a discount, but he and his family need to eat too.

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2421939-c-8690.htm

Yikes.. I didn't realize these power-vent water heaters are twice the price of old-school draft vent models. That very well could have played into the OP's cost concerns.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Smcatub

A plumber needs a permit for about anything aside from snaking a drain or changing a wax ring here where I am. They're generally under $40, though.

Kinda depends on the specific municipality. I'm in the E.Aurora area and permits are not needed, unless it's new construction, an addition, etc. OTOH, I believe areas like Kenmore or Tonawanda NY require licensed contractors for water heater replacements. Crazy.

$40 for a water heater permit in Cheektowaga, and an additional $25 per inspection after the first if the plumber's work fails. The homeowner can DIY but technically required a permit and inspection still.

And I'm seeing $30 for a 'fixture' permit - so they charge and inspect for a faucet being replaced? Wow, I didn't realize that was the case...

I also am seeing that moke detectors need to be brought up to code with the issuance of any interior work permit, too, which kind of sucks, as I think they'd make you ditch all of your battery operated detectors and put in hard-wired ones.

Interesting--I'd think they couldn't require to have installation of wired smoke detectors, since you'd have to run wires.

I've checked into, and I only need to pull a permit it will cost more than a grand. If it's a repair though, no permit required. Changing to vinyl siding? Permit. Changing to metal roof? Permit. Stripping shingles and replacing with shingles? No permit.

Smoke detectors degrade over time. It is recommended to replace them every ten years. Maybe yours are just over that age?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
but is it common practice to rip off people like this?

yes

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
What am I missing?

reality

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Smoke detectors degrade over time. It is recommended to replace them every ten years. Maybe yours are just over that age?

I know mine need replacing. Been meaning to call the town FD and see about a recommendation about detector placement--I think one is badly located.

[Side note: I'm kinda miffed that the prior owner who installed dual power detectors did not bother to install one in the basement--just a battery powered one down there. ??? I'm guessing it's to code but ???]

^It's more than just A/C power that is needed. If you want to do it properly you have to buy a compatible detector and wire it together with the rest of your detector "network" so if one goes off they all go off. As long as you can hear it battery power is fine.

Really can't hear it in the basement I don't think. I can run the air compressor and barely hear that--a smoke detector aimed downward isn't going to be audible.

I'd like to see an honest number on how many electric water heaters
get replaced by plumbers who know darn well the leak is from a replacable heating element failure. The old heater they "kindly remove" gets a new 20 dollar element and is sold to a slumlord somewhere. Around these parts that's called an "honest businessman". When a new unit was 250 bucks the rip off was a little easier to pull off. Never replace an entire unit unless you're sure it's not just the replaceable element which is leaking.
Down in South Florida they use common hose fittings and a PLUG on the water heaters to make them easy to whip in and out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Really can't hear it in the basement I don't think. I can run the air compressor and barely hear that--a smoke detector aimed downward isn't going to be audible.

That's why you would want the three wire networked type. That way, when the one in the basement goes off they all go off.

I know--just have to pick a series, and figure out how to splice it in. But right now the living room detector is maybe 12 feet from the stove, and I'm not sure that is a good spot for it. Ironically, it's the upstairs one that usually trips when cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back