2014 Chevy Impala: GM Oil, or Dino Substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
I assure you many people are running around right now with even less than half a sump.

But most of those are probably not driving a later model GM car. They have an oil level sensor in the pan that will illuminate a warning on the dash disply if the level is low...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
It's possible the service adviser doesn't recommend synthetic because it leaks more....and most customers never ever check their oil. A full sump of semi may be better than half a sump of synthetic.

A current model year car with 20K on it and leaking that much oil? I think there would be a larger issue than whether or not use use a synthetic or a blend.

The ops car with 20k is unlikely to leak anything, but as cars get older, leaks happen. When leaks happen, synthetic makes it worse.
Later model cars seem to leak a lot less as they age than their predecessors. IMHO, when you have a leak develop that is visibly showing or that leaves signs on the driveway, the oil type will not lessen that kind of a leak in any appreciable or long term way. I tend to think this is a myth that is still continued from days gone past (synthetic versus conventional). From an objective point of view, though, what is the average age/mileage when cars develop these types of leaks? I think that HM oil that shows 75K as "high mileage" is laughable with the cars we have today lasting 300K or more.

It's possible the service adviser doesn't recommend synthetic because it leaks more....and most customers never ever check their oil. A full sump of semi may be better than half a sump of synthetic.

A current model year car with 20K on it and leaking that much oil? I think there would be a larger issue than whether or not use use a synthetic or a blend.

The ops car with 20k is unlikely to leak anything, but as cars get older, leaks happen. When leaks happen, synthetic makes it worse.
Later model cars seem to leak a lot less as they age than their predecessors. IMHO, when you have a leak develop that is visibly showing or that leaves signs on the driveway, the oil type will not lessen that kind of a leak in any appreciable or long term way. I tend to think this is a myth that is still continued from days gone past (synthetic versus conventional). From an objective point of view, though, what is the average age/mileage when cars develop these types of leaks? I think that HM oil that shows 75K as "high mileage" is laughable with the cars we have today lasting 300K or more.

When to use Hi Mileage oil is debatable, but I have personally seen leaks lessened by Maxlife as opposed to M1 or even M1 HM. I'm more pro-synthetic than not, but was just giving a possible cause as to why a service adviser would say to avoid synthetic. Many people do not have the luxury of parking in a driveway and would not notice even a visible leak. Cars that sit outside in the weather will likely develop leaks with age, even if the miles aren't that bad. Newer cars are likely better at resisting leaks long term.

We have had vehicles in our fleet with half a million miles and not a drip or a smear of oil anywhere. ALWAYS parked outside, admittedly in a nice climate here.

IME newer cars simply do not leak oil anymore, even at high mileages if maintained well...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Then it is interesting to note that in Wal Mart the Dexos Certified M1 is exactly the same sale price as "ordinary" synthetics.

The last I looked, all the majors (castrol, QS, pennzoil, M1 etc) all had that greedly little logo... save super tech.

dexos : don't ever cross omnipotent sociopaths

I greatly appreciate everyone's informed suggestions and obvious passion. It's clear that there are several options, so it appears that I'll have to run the numbers to figure out whether it's cheaper to: 1) buy a 5-gal. jug + extra quart from Walmart or elsewhere + filter; 2) order the Kendall synthetic, which divides neatly into 6-qt oil changes; or 3) simply pay the $39.95 or whatever at the dealership or service station.

Money is an issue, so it behooves me to look for specials, both for jugs of oil and for full oil changes. The dealerships here typically want $59.95 for oil changes, so in that instance it would be cheaper to buy the components and take it somewhere.

I just bought a bunch of Napa Gold oil filters (#7045) on sale to use in the wife's 2012 Impala; if my 2014 Impala takes the same size, I'm OK for a while in regard to filters. I have a few unused oil filters (for my traded-in vehicle) for which Napa has agreed to give me store credit, so perhaps that credit will knock down the prices of Napa's 5W30 dexos-compatible oil jugs to a competitive level for my first purchase. This will enable a fuller search for what I can find for the change after that.

I've asked a buddy (a doggoned good shade-tree mechanic) whether there are any price-alert websites for motor oil; he's aware only of www.slickdeals.net but says that he hasn't seen oil advertised there for a very long time. In lieu of such a search site, I'll probably shop individual sales or look at Walmart first.

Originally Posted By: TBoneTX1234
I greatly appreciate everyone's informed suggestions and obvious passion. It's clear that there are several options, so it appears that I'll have to run the numbers to figure out whether it's cheaper to: 1) buy a 5-gal. jug + extra quart from Walmart or elsewhere + filter; 2) order the Kendall synthetic, which divides neatly into 6-qt oil changes; or 3) simply pay the $39.95 or whatever at the dealership or service station.

4) 2 5qt. jugs at Walmart and just rotate in the opened jug each change
5) oil change special where you can pick from loose quarts or 5 qt. jug... Advance Auto has put QS Synthetic and Havoline Synthetic on sale for $19.99 to $21.99 a couple of times this year.

I've asked a buddy (a doggoned good shade-tree mechanic) whether there are any price-alert websites for motor oil; he's aware only of www.slickdeals.net but says that he hasn't seen oil advertised there for a very long time. In lieu of such a search site, I'll probably shop individual sales or look at Walmart first.

Go to the Product Rebate, Sales and Promotion Section of BITOG here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Product_Rebates,_Sales_and_Pro

One of the requirements of dexos that exceeds that of API-spec oils is that GM has included additional types of rubber for seal dimensional stability testing. This should improve the effectiveness of sealing, and reduce leaks over the life of the engine.

I have a 2006 impala 3.5 with 150k miles. I have used full synthetic since I bought the car with 30k miles on it with an OCI of 5k miles. Still runs great with no issues.

I used valvoline synpower exclusively from 30k to about 100k, switched to M1 until about 140k, and now I use PP.

Last edited:
I just scored 48 quarts of Castrol GTX SynBlend (listed on the dexos-1 certification list) for $1/qt at AutoZone.com. Had to do it in groups of 6 at the first store and groups of 12 at the other two stores. This should hold me for about 4 years. Garage space is sadly limited...

I just scored 48 quarts of Castrol GTX SynBlend (listed on the dexos-1 certification list) for $1/qt at AutoZone.com. Had to do it in groups of 6 at the first store and groups of 12 at the other two stores. This should hold me for about 4 years. Garage space is sadly limited...

Great score and congrats. AZ has these clearance sales every year around this time. You're all set.

thumbsup2.gif

Money is an issue, so it behooves me to look for specials, both for jugs of oil and for full oil changes. The dealerships here typically want $59.95 for oil changes, so in that instance it would be cheaper to buy the components and take it somewhere.

I just bought a bunch of Napa Gold oil filters (#7045) on sale to use in the wife's 2012 Impala; if my 2014 Impala takes the same size, I'm OK for a while in regard to filters. I have a few unused oil filters (for my traded-in vehicle) for which Napa has agreed to give me store credit, so perhaps that credit will knock down the prices of Napa's 5W30 dexos-compatible oil jugs to a competitive level for my first purchase. This will enable a fuller search for what I can find for the change after that.

I just went to the DEXOS approved oil site and found that Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 5W30 is approved. I bought four cases from a local distributor last year in March ($42 plus tax per case). I haven't used any yet since I have replaced both vehicles I purchased it for with new vehicles. It does not have the DEXOS label on it. Is it safe to assume I can use the oil I bought last year? If so, I am one happy camper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back