Second Teir Sythentics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
Trying to establish tiers doesn't make much sense to me. Certainly not by brand. It would only make sense to me if it were according to testing requirements met. And even then, the “order” of the teirs would likely change somewhat with different engine applications.

+1

I think there are "special" oils that offer additional benefits at the extremes (Amsoil, Redline and the like), the ultra-premium extended intervals from the big-boys... and then everything. Unless you are operating at the extreme edges of needs, the difference in the benefits just are not there. I say M1 is a better oil than my Havoline Syn (but not by much) but M1 is not going to give me any additional benefit... sure is not going to make any of my engines last longer.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
But even the oil makers have tiers, so it's not arbitrary for us to put oils in tiers.
Mobil has Mobil 1 EP, then Mobil 1, then Super Synthetic, then Super 5000, then Special.
AMSoil has Signature Series, XL, and OE.
Valvoline has Synpower, Durablend, and Premium Conventional.

Yes, but each of the maker's levels do not add up. I would put Synpower on the same level as Mobil Super Syn. And no matter how the UOA come from Castrol, it just has way too high of a seagull and Gulf Shrimp content for me to ever consider it anything other than a scum-sucking bottom feeder.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
But even the oil makers have tiers, so it's not arbitrary for us to put oils in tiers.
Mobil has Mobil 1 EP, then Mobil 1, then Super Synthetic, then Super 5000, then Special.
AMSoil has Signature Series, XL, and OE.
Valvoline has Synpower, Durablend, and Premium Conventional.

Yes, but each of the maker's levels do not add up. I would put Synpower on the same level as Mobil Super Syn. And no matter how the UOA come from Castrol, it just has way too high of a seagull and Gulf Shrimp content for me to ever consider it anything other than a scum-sucking bottom feeder.

This is the source of the debate; is Synpower Valvoline's equivalent to M1, or SuperSyn? At the big-box stores I go to, VSP is more expensive than M1, and much more expensive than SuperSyn.

Tri-nuclear moly is widely used.
This is the reason that moly levels have been falling in most oils that use it.
I'm not at all convinced that you get more by paying more for synthetic oil.
There are too many users who've had good results with less costly synthetics.
SSO's main claim to fame is the ability to do really long drains.
As with M1 EP, UOAs don't always support the idea of doing really long drains with either oil and there are also UOAs of long drains using what some would call third tier syns where the oil looks very good.

I don't know about tiers. Seems subjective to me. Do I want my engine to last 500K miles? No. Do I want to give it better than average protection at a decent price? Yes. That's why I have QSUD and Lubrigold in my stash.

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
I take it some view house brand synthetics same as name brand dino?

Yes and alotta guys will tell you that ST synthetic is not as good as a premium conventional like PYB.

The only reason I would worry about tier in an engine at all is if it was a high strung engine (turbo'd, DI, performance)

Otherwise, it makes little difference.....

Ran Napa and ST syns with no issues.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back