Apple vs. Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrific camera and video. Excellent camera and video. Ugh. As with audio, it's all terribly compromised on a smartphone vs. a dedicated device. What is it, a 2mm lens, infinite focal length? With a gazillion megapixels, because megapixels is a marketing term that sells? Just don't use the adjectives terrific and excellent. They're useful for accident and ebay auction pics, but even then details are lacking.

We can all easily tell when someone nearby has someone on speaker on a smartphone, and it does not sound like a human being is next to them talking to them. It sounds like someone trapped inside a sea shell, all shrunken down and yelling out the crack between the halves, and you occasionally understand a word among the dozens of artificially boosted, compressed, and time-sliced chipmunk phonetics. That's not terrific or excellent.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is a flip phone now considered a "stupid phone"?

The correct industry lingo is "dumb phone."

definition "dumb"

adjective
offensive
(of a person) unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.
"he was born deaf, dumb, and blind"
synonyms: mute, speechless, tongue-tied, silent, at a loss for words; More
(of animals) unable to speak as a natural state and thus regarded as helpless or deserving pity.
temporarily unable or unwilling to speak.
"she stood dumb while he poured out a stream of abuse"
resulting in or expressed by speechlessness.
"they stared in dumb amazement"
NORTH AMERICANinformal
stupid.
"a dumb question"
synonyms: stupid, unintelligent, ignorant, dense, brainless, mindless, foolish, slow, dull, simple, empty-headed, stunned, vacuous, vapid, idiotic, half-baked, imbecilic, bovine; More

I think we all know the definition of 'dumb,' but thanks anyway.
smile.gif

I was just giving you the industry term. Not saying that I agree or disagree with it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Re; airplay, you don't need to use an airplay compatible app. You can mirror your whole screen.

Thanks for the correction. I understood that you had to use an app that supports AirPlay. From Apple's site, it does appear to be exactly like Wireless Display on Android: your screen is simply mirrored on the big screen.

What I think is smart about Wireless Display is the view on the TV is in portrait mode if that's how the screen on your phone is. There are significant black voids on the side, as it keeps the correct orientation and ratio. When your phone switches to landscape mode, the display on the TV switches to landscape and fills the screen. Pretty slick.

AirPlay probably works the same way.

You're welcome!

And, yep it works just as you described.

The dumb phones are actually pretty good these days.

Has anyone besides me bought one of the new FireFox phones?

I do have to say, that the call quality on my flip phone was MILES ahead of my iPhone..

On the iPhone 6, I have to swipe to answer, and then say hello 3 times before the person on the other end hears me.

What an excellent review - very non biased

Speaking of cameras, according to dXoMark, who conducted a thorough test of phone cameras, the top phone cameras are iPhone 6 followed by the Galaxy S5/xperia z3 and then the Nexus 6 in that order. The Nexus 6 was a shocker since it is made by Motorola. They also pointed out that even avg phone cameras today are better than dedicated cameras from five years ago.

I agree that iOS and Android are very close and personal preference probably trumps everything else.

My general feeling is if someone cares about a great camera, great media content(iTunes) and ease of service (Apple stores), they should go iPhone.

For people who care about customization, multitasking, long battery life (with the right phone) and interoperability across apps and platforms, go Android.

My current iPhone is good, but by far, my best phone was...

My grey Motorola RAZR V3xx. A 3G flip phone in the hey-day of 3G with an NVIDIA GoForce 4800 and a fast CPU, this RAZR was really quick! Excellent reception, long battery life and it was sleek. It was the phone to have.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I've said this before. For some reason every time I see very successful people pull out their phone it's an iphone. Met with two high six figure earners yesterday. Phones? Iphone 6. I asked a friend who travels internationally for work. Why Iphone? It works. it's almost like they're beyond bickering about which is better. They value performance and that's the iphone.

Did you take a picture of them with your droid?

Originally Posted By: racer12306
You can setup messaging through Google Hangouts, which is on every platform and web-based for computers.

My wife installed Hangouts on her iPhone today and we've been using that to text today. It seems to work well for that. It seems to be Google's "answer" to iMessage...I can use it anywhere I'm on Chrome, and it goes through Google's servers (I think) rather than cellular, so I don't necessarily have to have a good phone connection, like I do with the Motorola Connect extension.

I know Hangouts can do a ton more, including VoIP calling and video calls...will be fun to play with it some more.

I love Hangouts with Google Voice integration. I can text from all my devices, everything syncs and when someone calls all my devices ring and I can answer it from any of them.

Great review and pretty much matches my opinion on these systems.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Terrific camera and video. Excellent camera and video. Ugh. As with audio, it's all terribly compromised on a smartphone vs. a dedicated device. What is it, a 2mm lens, infinite focal length? With a gazillion megapixels, because megapixels is a marketing term that sells? Just don't use the adjectives terrific and excellent. They're useful for accident and ebay auction pics, but even then details are lacking.

We can all easily tell when someone nearby has someone on speaker on a smartphone, and it does not sound like a human being is next to them talking to them. It sounds like someone trapped inside a sea shell, all shrunken down and yelling out the crack between the halves, and you occasionally understand a word among the dozens of artificially boosted, compressed, and time-sliced chipmunk phonetics. That's not terrific or excellent.

+1000
Yup, a proper way to compare the cameras on smartphones would be terrible, less terrible, least terrible, not excellent or even good.

My 10 year old, 6MP DSLR will blow every top of the line smartphone out of the water, same goes for my 5 year old camcorder for video and audio.
Same goes for the games. Gee, I played better stuff on my Commodore 64, yet those terrible games and their availability are very important in each review you read. That's why Windows and Blackberry phones get such poor reviews from the main stream reviewers.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Great review and pretty much matches my opinion on these systems.

Originally Posted By: spackard

+1000
Yup, a proper way to compare the cameras on smartphones would be terrible, less terrible, least terrible, not excellent or even good.

My 10 year old, 6MP DSLR will blow every top of the line smartphone out of the water, same goes for my 5 year old camcorder for video and audio.
Same goes for the games. Gee, I played better stuff on my Commodore 64, yet those terrible games and their availability are very important in each review you read. That's why Windows and Blackberry phones get such poor reviews from the main stream reviewers.

Most people do not have an SLR hanging around their necks 99% of the time. So the camera quality of a device I do have on me 99% of the time is very relevant.

This is not a SLR vs smartphone camera shootout. That's like comparing a Toyota Yaris to a STi in a thread about economy cars.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I love Hangouts with Google Voice integration. I can text from all my devices, everything syncs and when someone calls all my devices ring and I can answer it from any of them.

The VoIP option now works pretty well too. Works perfect on my nice home wifi, and pretty good on a hotel wifi.

Apple iOS wins over Android in screen touch/feel/usage etc. Apple has lots of coin to spend on getting that down pat due to limited set of configurations with complete control of Os and hardware. Android it is not baked well into OS and maker dependent.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Apple iOS wins over Android in screen touch/feel/usage etc. Apple has lots of coin to spend on getting that down pat due to limited set of configurations with complete control of Os and hardware. Android it is not baked well into OS and maker dependent.

Although to be fair, iOS8 has had a lot of bugs and crashes and doesn't seem that well integrated with the large capacity iPhone 6s. iOS crashes at double the rate as Android 4.4.4. Lots of people with iPhone 6 pluses of the 64gb and 128gb varieties routinely go into randomly boot loops and blue screens. I was going to get an iphone 6 plus until it became apparent that there are some issues that Apple needs to work out. I might op for an iPad mini instead.

Going back to my reliability comment, I rated them about a wash, but my experience with them has really flipped. I had a real tough time with Android in the "early" days, when 2.1 Eclair was common and 2.2 Froyo just came out. It could have been hardware, it could have been Motorola's Motoblur skin, or it could have been Android itself. I don't know...but it was pretty bad for us. My HTC Incredible 2 was a ton better. HTC Sense was, back then, pretty good in my opinion. My wife's then-new iPhone 4s, however, just blew the Androids out of the water for us, in terms of solid reliability. It just didn't crash--ever. The lack of a battery door on the back wasn't an issue--we never had to restart the phone. I'd have to do battery pulls on our Droid 2s all the time. Even my HTC needed it some.

But that was "back then". iOS 6 seemed to be incredibly reliable. Then I moved to iOS 7. It nearly broke my phone. Battery life was horrible. Lots of software bugs. Lots of them. My wife's iPhone 4s took to iOS 7 better than my phone did. Which was odd, because that unit-to-unit variability isn't supposed to happen with that closed architecture--that's what a closed system is supposed to prevent. Then iOS 8...maybe slightly less buggy than iOS 7, but not by a whole lot. Here's an example of a pervasive software bug in the Messages app:

IMG_0557.PNG

I could rotate the phone to landscape mode, and the keyboard would rotate, but the app behind it wouldn't. So you couldn't see what you were typing. I had to force-close the app and open it back up, thinking to myself, "gee, this is the kind of stuff I had to deal with on our old Droids..."

So far, Android 4.4.4 KitKat has been great on my phone. I haven't experienced a single bug/failure/crash/reason to force-close an app. The comment that Android is not very well integrated with the hardware and can vary with manufacturer can be true, and it does vary greatly with manufacturer. That's one of the big reasons I bought a Motorola phone; Google used to own Motorola until very recently (sold to Lenovo I think), and the Motorola Droids use what is a nearly-pure version of Android, without much of a skin at all. There are some Motorola-specific apps that come pre-loaded, but the user interface is pretty much stock Android. And KitKat looks pretty nice. I do allow that iOS has a very polished look-and-feel to it...but it's not the reliable system anymore that I knew from the iOS 6 days...at least not on my particular 4s. My wife's 5s has taken iOS 8 pretty well. Our iPad 4 has iOS 8 as well, and it seems to work well on that.

I look at it much like the quality/reliability of import vs. domestic cars, Apple being the "import" and Android being the "domestic" marques. It could be said years ago that the "import" marques held a certain advantage in the quality department (especially in interior quality), but I think it's generally true that any historical difference is pretty much gone today. It now boils down more to user preference than an objective difference one way or the other.

Another good post Hokiefyd

I will say though that Android Lollipop on our Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 are buggier than Kitkat. For example, the screen doesn't always rotate on the Nexus 7 and voice command on the Nexus 6 is not as reliable as on my Moto X.

I've really come to like Kitkat because it is just an incredibly smooth and stable OS. And this article seems to support this statement: Information week: Stable Mobile OS

I realize that Lollipop is a major new release so I'm sure over time, they will smooth it out. But in the meantime, I'm hoping they keep 4.4.4. on the MOto x as long as possible. I don't mind being an early adopter on one or two devices but not all my devices.

I think I can only echo what others have said. We are a house divided. The boys have Android and the girls have iPhone.

Early Android was rough. I was never happy with my original, company issued, Galaxy S. It crashed, I had battery life issues, etc.

The S3 that replaced it has been rock solid. After three years of hard use, I ended up cracking the glass in the upper RH corner, just missing putting the crack over the front facing camera.

The way I see it, if you like or want to have ultimate configuration freedom, choose Android. While not 100% open, it's far more open than Apple.

If you want a smart phone that you can hand your wife and say, here, use this, get her an iPhone.

My bride just moved to at 64gig 6+ and loves it.

Merry Christmas oilBabe!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Apple iOS wins over Android in screen touch/feel/usage etc.
Could not agree more - you pretty much get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back