Oil Life Monitor on 2014 Chevy Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the oil life monitor on a new 2014 Impala. The car was just bought brand new with 90 miles on it. However the oil change monitor is saying there is only 60 percent left. Should I make the dealer change the oil or do you think that the monitor is just wrong? I can't see where it could possibly be 60 percent already.

Thank you in advance for the advice and if anyone is aware of this topic being already discussed I'd be happy to look at the thread but I was unable to locate it with the search.

It could be that part of the monitor's algorithm is based purely on time. Most manufacturers recommend an oil change at least every year, so if the car has been on the lot a while, good part of that year may have expired.

You may find the IOLM won't move very quickly at all once you start accumulating miles.

The monitor is correct short drives on and off starts will dramatically drop the OLM especially in cold weather winter driving as the oil gets contaminated faster.

Yes demand the dealer change the oil, make them get the engine hot then change it.

90 miles on the odometer? Your oil will be fine for some time. Most here seem to recommend changing the factory fill early.. Perhaps at 3000-4000 miles. I'd personally go that route myself. Maybe even change it sooner.

As for the OLM, dealers are known to crank down the settings so you'll be back more frequently for oil changes. Figure out how to change it back to read 100% yourself. If the dealer truly did this, they will have an excuse as to why they did it and will fight you on switching it back.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
90 miles on the odometer? Your oil will be fine for some time. Most here seem to recommend changing the factory fill early.. Perhaps at 3000-4000 miles. I'd personally go that route myself. Maybe even change it sooner. As for the OLM, dealers are known to crank down the settings so you'll be back more frequently for oil changes. Figure out how to change it back to read 100% yourself. If the dealer truly did this, they will have an excuse as to why they did it and will fight you on switching it back.

Then again, perhaps it was short tripped as a demo for 40 or so two mile test drives or was a "mule car" to run around to vendors in the area and thus the OLM is reading correctly. I would let it run down to about 20% (or 1-2K miles) and dump it, thereby removing the break-in metal that is/will be floating around in the oil.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
90 miles on the odometer? Your oil will be fine for some time. Most here seem to recommend changing the factory fill early.. Perhaps at 3000-4000 miles. I'd personally go that route myself. Maybe even change it sooner. As for the OLM, dealers are known to crank down the settings so you'll be back more frequently for oil changes. Figure out how to change it back to read 100% yourself. If the dealer truly did this, they will have an excuse as to why they did it and will fight you on switching it back.

Then again, perhaps it was short tripped as a demo for 40 or so two mile test drives or was a "mule car" to run around to vendors in the area and thus the OLM is reading correctly. I would let it run down to about 20% (or 1-2K miles) and dump it, thereby removing the break-in metal that is/will be floating around in the oil.

Quite possible and I thought of that after reading other replies.

40% in 90 miles seems like a lot to me though. At least with my dads Ford, you can see what its original oil life setting was at. It allows you to start fresh oil at basically any percentage you want. I wonder if the OP has that feature on his car.

*If it is indeed correct, I agree with FX4 on changing it early.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Quite possible and I thought of that after reading other replies.

40% in 90 miles seems like a lot to me though. At least with my dads Ford, you can see what its original oil life setting was at. It allows you to start fresh oil at basically any percentage you want. I wonder if the OP has that feature on his car.

*If it is indeed correct, I agree with FX4 on changing it early.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check if it allows to be reset to another percentage other than 100.

I really appreciate the replies, sounds like it would be best to try and get the dealer to change the oil and if they won't use my first free oil change sooner rather than later.

With 90 miles of demo rides having the salesman telling the driver to "get on it" and then moving the car around on trips of 100 feet or so and having it parked for extended periods of time over the past year could mean that in reality it's ready for an oil change right now.

90 miles on a new car is allot, it had to have been used for some sort of light commute or something, get it changed or put a few more miles on it then change it what ever makes you feel comfortable.

Good choice in cars by the way.
thumbsup2.gif

First of all, no dealer can do anything to a GM OLM except reset it. Anyone can reset almost any OLM any time by turning on ignition only and pressing the gas pedal to the floor 3 times.

Check the build date as Danno suggested. The GM OLM will call for a change after one year no matter the miles. As also stated above the OLM will drastically drop when short tripped especially in colder weather.

Change the oil early if you like, no harm will be done. Just note that you will be extremely unlikely to ever notice any real benefit...

The OLM on my 2011 Cruze dropped while the car sat parked in the garage...it obviously takes TIME as well as miles into account.

This car was probably built in early 2014...that, and a few test drives have caused your OLM to drop.

If it were mine, I'd change the oil at 1K.

I want to really thank everyone for posting all the great info. I called and got the build sheet and it was made in Sept. 2013. Therefore the dealer has agreed to change the oil and give me a tire rotation for free that doesn't count against my free ones from GM.

Again, without the knowledge you all gave me I'm not sure I would have gotten it done free.

Thanks!

Must have been some 90 really hard miles! Based on time alone, I would demand they change it, but as mentioned previously get the car REALLY hot and then have them change it. Your owner's manual should state to change the oil when the OLM gets down to the low percentage rate (usually around 20% or less) or every 12 months. I usually change the oil two times during one OLM cycle just to make sure I always have fresh oil and a new filter. It's cheap insurance.

When was the car produced? Look at the production label and make sure it's changed by the one year mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I usually change the oil two times during one OLM cycle just to make sure I always have fresh oil and a new filter. It's cheap insurance.

Does that mean you change the oil when it's at 50 percent? Some guys will say you're wasting oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I usually change the oil two times during one OLM cycle just to make sure I always have fresh oil and a new filter. It's cheap insurance.

Does that mean you change the oil when it's at 50 percent? Some guys will say you're wasting oil.

I usually go by mileage more than the OLM percentage indicator. I did my first oil change at 1.754 miles and the second one at 5,221 miles. I plan on going no more than 4K miles between oil changes. It's cheap insurance and always ensures I have fresh clean oil and a new oil filter.

I know the OLM in my Cruze Diesel hits 0% at precisely 7,500 miles no matter how you drive it...7,500 miles is the factory recommended OCI

There have been some people who bought their cruze diesel brand new only a month after production with 5 miles on it and their OLM said 40% so I wouldn't read into it too much....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kory
I know the OLM in my Cruze Diesel hits 0% at precisely 7,500 miles no matter how you drive it...7,500 miles is the factory recommended OCI

There have been some people who bought their cruze diesel brand new only a month after production with 5 miles on it and their OLM said 40% so I wouldn't read into it too much....

That's why I go by miles, not the OLM percentage and I only use a high quality synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. My OLM drops very quickly. My OLM got pretty low at about 5K miles (15%), but I had already changed the oil early on and just didn't reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back