Updated - Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note Pennzoil confirms no GTL stock in non-Platinum products.

good info for sure, but wheres the TBN # important to longer drains. HTHS is another important spec left out! typical dodging of questions but better info than most except Amsoil, they show it all!!

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
4 year shelf life?

If little to no additives to "settle out," then...

Yes...

Heck 4 years?! Pfft..

I use some SJ classification still from my stash.

Why is it that pennzoil does not double seal their jugs of oil? Most other quality oils have the regular cap (like Pennzoil) and also a silver seal.. It seems like Pennzoil jugs are always the ones leaking.. I see this all the time at wal mart even the guy that stocks the shelves knows it, he says that is why he only puts a limited stock of Pennzoil out on the shelves. Some say its because they don't totally fill up all their jugs and if someone notices they blame it on leakage.. Who knows but their must be a reason.. Even super tech and Smittys (two good oils priced to sell) does it. Can anyone from Pennzoil answer this? Your oil is great but the leaky containers are messy..

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
4 year shelf life?

“up to four years if stored properly.“ I guess most people store their oil improperly.

Originally Posted By: benjy
good info for sure, but wheres the TBN # important to longer drains. HTHS is another important spec left out! typical dodging of questions but better info than most except Amsoil, they show it all!!

But they have been honest it is a Grp III.

is the "Natural Gas" they advetise the gas collected from the areomatics in the refinery stack?

Last edited:
My issue with not double sealing the containers is the possibility of tampering with the product, some store employee switching out the Full Synthetic with the PYB or another conventional oil and the buyer would never know.

I love their responses on OCI, talk about not committing, basically just stick to what the manufacturer recommends, hmm, so why bother with a high priced synthetic? Ah, supposedly cleans better etc.

amsoil has been "sliding" lately!!! they no longer tout PAO base oil because its now used sparingly + will not say anything about what base oils are used in what product!! the MA rated premium "synthetic" i had been using in my bikes, formerly PAO base oil is now just group III dino, a better add pack but cheaper base oils sold at the same $$$$. i have quickly lost my faith in Amsoil products!!!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is this stuff clear, or close to it?
Might be nice for keeping the staining factor down during changes...

?

An oil discolours due to heat. All base oils are basically clear. Oils are coloured to give us that golden hue that we are accustomed to. The staining comes from varnish, which comes from break-down and break-down components adhering to the metal surface.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

?

An oil discolours due to heat. All base oils are basically clear. Oils are coloured to give us that golden hue that we are accustomed to. The staining comes from varnish, which comes from break-down and break-down components adhering to the metal surface.

I was just keying on Pennzoil describing their GTL oil as a "pure, clear base"...had no idea that base oils are generally clear. Generally don't get a lot of fresh oil on me during a change, but a few drops from the funnel or the sides of the containers do manage to find their way onto my clothes at times.

I noticed from Pennzoil's own data sheets that the NOACK % is actually a little lower for the Platinum product than for the Ultra Platinum in 5W-30. I realize that one number is not the be and end all for any oil, but the Ultra product is advertised as keeping pistons cleaner than the "plain" Platinum and I thought a lot of those deposits came from stuff gassing out of the oil at high temp and then sticking on the metal parts of the engine. Maybe the Ultra has extra additives that can clean this stuff off better?
I think I need some education here and I'm sure there are folks here who can provide it!

Hey Virtus_Probi - With regard to the color (including those the Pennzoil Platinum line formulated from natural gas), motor oils are all going to be a honey color when they become a “finished” motor oil (base oil + unique additives). Motor oils are typically comprised of approximately 80% base oil and 20% additives. While our natural gas base oil does start out clear, it becomes more of a honey color when it has been fully formulated into a finished motor oil. To be technically correct (in regards to the ASTM Color Conversion Table – aka ASTM D 1500), you’ll find that even our synthetic motor oils will fall in the approximate range of 1.5 -2.5 on the color scale, the light pale to pale color range.

This video may provide more insight: https://youtu.be/owqkmJPNKwk

Hope this helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck

Hey Virtus_Probi - With regard to the color (including those the Pennzoil Platinum line formulated from natural gas), motor oils are all going to be a honey color when they become a “finished” motor oil (base oil + unique additives). Motor oils are typically comprised of approximately 80% base oil and 20% additives. While our natural gas base oil does start out clear, it becomes more of a honey color when it has been fully formulated into a finished motor oil. To be technically correct (in regards to the ASTM Color Conversion Table – aka ASTM D 1500), you’ll find that even our synthetic motor oils will fall in the approximate range of 1.5 -2.5 on the color scale, the light pale to pale color range.

This video may provide more insight: https://youtu.be/owqkmJPNKwk

Hope this helps! – The Pennzoil Team

Thank you, Gena!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back