Apple vs. Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to contribute some to that always-on conversation about Apple vs. Android. I've had multiple examples/versions of both systems. I started with a Motorola Droid 2 and moved to an HTC Incredible 2...both had Android 2.x...Froyo I think. Then I moved to an iPhone 4s, starting with iOS 6, then to iOS 7, then to iOS 8. And now I've recently switched to a Motorola Droid Mini, with Android 4.4.4 KitKat. We also have an Acer tablet in the house, with Android 4.0.3 Honeycomb, an iPad 4 in the house, with iOS 8, and my wife's iPhone 5s, also with iOS 8.

These are my thoughts on where Apple excels and where Android excels, because both do, at least in my opinion, in certain situations. Obviously, these points are subjective because they're from my personal perspective.

Where Apple wins...
- Small detail, but I love the small silence switch on the side of the phone, above the volume rocker. You can feel, in an instant, whether your phone is silenced or not. This switch is smaller on the 6, but still tactile. It's nice and big on the 4 and 5. This was a nice feature to have.
- Polished interface. They've always had a very refined look and feel to their user interface. I think this advantage is shrinking, especially with Google's new Android 5.0, but Apple still has a very nice-looking product.
- Closed ecosystem. With the very tight controls Apple has on its hardware and software, it's pretty difficult to find a lousy app on the App Store...lousy meaning something that will have memory leaks or other things that would crash the phone. There's certainly a downside to the closed nature, as well, but few acknowledge the upside of it.

Where Android wins...
- Versatility. I really missed widgets in iOS. I love having a full screen view of my calendar. I like setting up my icons the way I want, instead of being forced into a left-to-right, top-to-bottom orientation. I like being able to pick the apps that I want the OS to use, whether that's from Google, Microsoft, Disney, or anyone else. iOS doesn't let me do any of that.
- Latest hardware. I don't need most of the latest zoomy tech, like the bump thing where Samsung users can bump phones to share stuff. But I'll tell you what I do like: inductive charging. My Droid Mini supports that right out of the box. It's pretty cool to just set your phone down on a pad and have the battery topped off. Apple just recently put NFC in the iPhone 6, but they left out inductive charging.
- Interoperability. Apple stuff works with Apple stuff. Android stuff tends to work with more. For instance, I can do screen mirroring with our Roku in the living room. Better than AirPlay (where you have to use an AirPlay compatible app) and better than Chromecast (where you have to use an app compatible with that), the Wireless Display feature completely mirrors my screen to our television. So if I want to share pictures or a quick Google Maps route or anything else on the TV, it's a simple press of a button. And Google is, for the most part, completely agnostic to hardware. I'm sync'd to my stuff whether I'm using my phone, my Windows computer, a Mac computer, a Linux computer, my Chromebox, etc. Apple syncs to Apple. Which is fine if you own all Apple. If you own anything else, it's more difficult to achieve that seamless integration.
- Open ecosystem. The danger (though it's lessening, with improved sandboxing in the OS) is an app that can crash your system. In general, though, most apps these days are high quality apps. I like being able to access all of my files on the phone with a file explorer/desktop computer. I can see my Downloads folder, and I drag and drop files other than just pictures. That's often pretty handy.

Where it's about a draw...
- Phone connectors...even though I generally don't like non-standard stuff, Apple's 30-pin and newer Lightning connector are nice. I'm particularly impressed with the Lightning connector. It's versatile and also rather durable. The microUSB connector, while ubiquitous, also may be less durable after years' of use. That said, the microUSB connector IS so popular, I can find charging cords anywhere.
- Reliability was pretty poor in my experience with earlier versions of Android. Our Motorola Droid 2 phones were lousy...both of them. That may have been the hardware as much as the software. I have found the recent Droid lineup to be very good; they were engineered when Google owned Motorola, so there is a very nice integration between the hardware and the software. I was, honestly, less impressed with the number of bugs in the Apple OS beginning with iOS 7. Some of the bugs continue unfixed. The screen rotation while in Messages is a continuing one. When that happens, I have to close the app by swiping it out of the task list and re-opening it again. iOS 7 pretty much buried my 4s, but my wife's continued to run fine, which is the phone I used and even updated to iOS 8. So I'd say that neither has a 100% reliability record for me, and I'd call this a draw.
- Memory management/hardware requirements and quality. Both OSes manage open apps in a similar way...you use them in the foreground, then they go to the background when you open something else. They stay resident in memory until that memory is needed. iOS seems to run on lower-spec hardware better than Android, but phone cost isn't dependent on the number of processor cores, so this is sort of a moot point to me. My Droid Mini experiences excellent battery life and weighs about the same as my iPhone 4s. iPhones have long been famous for excellent build quality in a sea of plastic phones, but I feel that that gap has closed considerably. My Droid Mini, for example, has a Kevlar chassis that feels incredibly rigid. So here again, I don't feel there is a big difference with either choice.
- Ecosystem integration. Apple has long been famous for this, but I think Google has come at least to their level, and possibly beyond it when considering cloud services. Everything, including Gmail, Maps, Drive (cloud), Photos (cloud), Contacts, Calendar, etc. is completely integrated and synchronized where ever you go. I've said before that I thought the iCloud's strategy of not offering drag-and-drop functionality was a strategic mistake. Apple, in my opinion, has always been a step behind in their services. Their hardware integration, however, has always been very good.

In the end, I don't feel that one is better than the other...only better for certain people than the other choice might be. I appreciate the advantages that both systems bring to the table.

The question is why do apple folks spend days inline for a phone? Then feel like they won the lottery when they receive it.

I agree.

This has probably been one of the most honest and really non-biased takes on the two that I've read.

It would be nice to use a Messages app on a PC like the Mac has, but that would probably get in the way of their computer sales. Doesn't Android/Google already do this with Google+ or something?

I myself had a BlackBerry 8820 which was OK at the time. I then had an HTC Incredible 2, then an iPhone 4 and now my iPhone 5s on AT&T. I liked the Android a lot, but one big thing that I liked about the iPhone at the time, and I might be the only one who says this, the lack of integration.

I felt as if the Incredible (which I know can be turned off or not setup) wanted to integrate every aspect of my electronic life. Account here, link here and sync there. Yes it is nice, but I felt overwhelmed at one point.

Other than that though, it was a nice phone, and was probably was still one of the best 3G data performers I had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
The question is why do apple folks spend days inline for a phone? Then feel like they won the lottery when they receive it.

Spinning over: but after spending days inline for a phone, you feel you won the lottery.

Therapy.

I agree heavily with your summary.

One is not better than the other, one is only better for certain people than the other. They both have pros and cons.

I use a Galaxy Note 2 with 4.4.2 as my personal phone and an iPhone 4S with iOS8.1 as my work phone. I personally prefer Android, but there are certain things about iOS that are nice.

My single biggest preference to Apple vs Android is how Apple handles OS updates, straight to you. You can only get that kind of deal if you have a Nexus device, otherwise you have to wait for the manufacturer to tweek it, then wait for your carrier to tweek it and then maybe you will get an update.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I agree.

This has probably been one of the most honest and really non-biased takes on the two that I've read.

It would be nice to use a Messages app on a PC like the Mac has, but that would probably get in the way of their computer sales. Doesn't Android/Google already do this with Google+ or something?

I myself had a BlackBerry 8820 which was OK at the time. I then had an HTC Incredible 2, then an iPhone 4 and now my iPhone 5s on AT&T. I liked the Android a lot, but one big thing that I liked about the iPhone at the time, and I might be the only one who says this, the lack of integration.

I felt as if the Incredible (which I know can be turned off or not setup) wanted to integrate every aspect of my electronic life. Account here, link here and sync there. Yes it is nice, but I felt overwhelmed at one point.

Other than that though, it was a nice phone, and was probably was still one of the best 3G data performers I had.

You can setup messaging through Google Hangouts, which is on every platform and web-based for computers.

I used (still have) an Incredible 2. I loved the phone. Got it unlocked and it's now my international phone if I ever need one again.

Ginger or Mary Anne?

Personally, I think windows phone beats them both. That said, I have many android phones because no one has yet made an i phone or a windows phone with an integral VHF (or UHF) two way radio. Are you listening MS?

My wife loves her i junk. They work extremely well within their envelope.

Nice comparison that I see as more objective than subjective and I agree with the thoughts. I have had both systems (i4, i5 and Galaxy 2, 3, 4, & 5). Both has their + and - and in the end it is what works best for the individual. I tend to see Android as more "gadgety" than Apple, and as an IT person that is, perhaps, what appeals to me more than iOS.

Originally Posted By: Win
Personally, I think windows phone beats them both.

We have about 2200 phones in my area of responsibility and the split shifted within the last year to Android>iOS>Windows (formerly iOS>Android>Windows). We do have a small percentage of Windows phone users and (IMHO) they are **diehards** having endured early Windows phones from HTC and the like that were (more or less) functional bricks. I have a new Nokia Windows phone on my desk that I am testing and it IS pretty solid. The biggest issue I see thus far is the number of apps for Windows versus Android/iOS.

I've said this before. For some reason every time I see very successful people pull out their phone it's an iphone. Met with two high six figure earners yesterday. Phones? Iphone 6. I asked a friend who travels internationally for work. Why Iphone? It works. it's almost like they're beyond bickering about which is better. They value performance and that's the iphone.

Originally Posted By: redhat

To add a comment here: I have not yet tried Google Hangouts. However, at least for Motorola users, there is something called Motorola Connect. It's an extension for Google Chrome that acts as an SMS/MMS texting console interface for your phone. In other words, you can send/receive texts on your computer, through your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.targetnotif&hl=en

I use the SMS/MMS texting console a lot. As long as your phone has connectivity to the network...or in other words, as long as the extension can communicate via your phone...you can text from your computer's keyboard. It's not quite as slick as Apple's iMessages on an OS X computer (since that's done through Apple's own servers rather than through the cellular network), but it's close.

I don't do any of the other stuff that it says is included, like the watch face thing, power pack, step counter, etc. I use only the texting console. And it works great.

But it's a Motorola-only thing. I agree: Google would probably find a lot of success in designing a simple texting interface that works similar to this, but is less complicated than Hangouts. I understand that Hangouts require both sides to have a Google account. Texting through a cellular network, obviously, is agnostic to platform.

Originally Posted By: webfors
What about the camera & video? IMO one of the most important aspects to consider.

Camera totally blows on every android box I own. Video somewhat better, tolerable at least.

Excellent camera and video on my Nokia windows phone, and the iPhone has a terrific camera and video as well. That's the one thing Apple really has going it for it imo.

edit: I should add all my android boxes came direct from China, because of the unique features they offer. I have no experience with the mainstream stuff offered by carriers here.

Last edited:
I appreciate the write up. It is a good one. I finally found a phone I truly, truly liked (I-Phone 4). It was everything it was suppose to be and it worked without turning it off and on all the time! The 5 didn't offer much and I wasn't waiting for the 6. I got the Galaxy 5 and love it.

Positive side, these phones are amazing now and much more reliable than models in the past. Negative side, they cost as much as a laptop, sometimes more!

With all this tell me what it means if a flip phone is good enough and it's actually used to make phone calls and the battery only needs to be re-charged once a week. Is a flip phone now considered a "stupid phone"?

Re; airplay, you don't need to use an airplay compatible app. You can mirror your whole screen.

But, regardless very well written subjective review (unbiased though).

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I've said this before. For some reason every time I see very successful people pull out their phone it's an iphone. Met with two high six figure earners yesterday. Phones? Iphone 6. I asked a friend who travels internationally for work. Why Iphone? It works. it's almost like they're beyond bickering about which is better. They value performance and that's the iphone.

My dad (in that category) has an old Blackberry. I believe the one person I know with a net worth in the high 10 figure range has very little use for a cell phone as I've never seen her carry one.

Generally, I'd somewhat agree with you that people who need a phone for work and to just work will have an iPhone or a Blackberry. My boss has owned both. Currently on an iPhone now. He likes how Apple manages photos. Other than that, and some music apps, he doesn't really care, he just wants it to work.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Re; airplay, you don't need to use an airplay compatible app. You can mirror your whole screen.

Thanks for the correction. I understood that you had to use an app that supports AirPlay. From Apple's site, it does appear to be exactly like Wireless Display on Android: your screen is simply mirrored on the big screen.

What I think is smart about Wireless Display is the view on the TV is in portrait mode if that's how the screen on your phone is. There are significant black voids on the side, as it keeps the correct orientation and ratio. When your phone switches to landscape mode, the display on the TV switches to landscape and fills the screen. Pretty slick.

AirPlay probably works the same way.

Originally Posted By: webfors
What about the camera & video? IMO one of the most important aspects to consider.

That's actually a great point that I didn't mention, because I rarely use the camera for "critical" photos anymore. I'll use it to take a snapshot of a cut-open oil filter here or there, but not a lot.

Yes, Apple's cameras have far exceeded those of Motorola's for a long time. Some Android cameras are very competent; Samsung's cameras seem to be very good lately. I give my Droid Mini's camera a 6/10. My iPhone 4s was probably an 9/10 (for a phone camera, and for how I used it). My wife's 5s's camera is superb...I've not seen a better camera on a phone that I wanted to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back