Looking for advice - Honda 3.5l v6 timing belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice on a timing belt change for a buddy's '07 Honda Pilot 3.5 V6 w/120K miles...overdue!

Which brand TB belt?

Should the TB tensioner be replaced?

Replace the water pump too?

Is this a do it yourself project?

He does have the skill but, are there any special tools needed?

Other than the serpentine belt for Alt, P/S etc, are there any other parts that should be changed? Tensioner?

What about cam/crank seals? They're not leaking now!

Last edited by a moderator:
PM him and see if he still has that step-by-step download.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Thanks Man! This is a good write up by Hokiefyd!

Thank you!
smile.gif

Though, I'll make sure that my buddy infact want's to do the job for certain before I ask Hokiefyd for something that he paid for!

Last edited:
I do a lot of these 3.5 belts, its an easy job. OE or Aisin kit is the way to go.
The Aisin kit is all the same brands and part# as the OE i took off. Aisin TKH002 is the one for this vehicle, $177 all inc from Rock Auto. Its a good high quality kit, i highly recommend it.
Quote:
AISIN kit includes the following components:

AISIN Water Pump
AISIN Hydraulic Tensioner
Koyo Idler Bearing
Koyo Tensioner Bearing
Mitsuboshi Timing Belt
Water Pump Gaskets & O-Rings

I just changed the belt in my 3.4L Tacoma 5 months ago. I realize it's a different vehicle, but looks like a similar job. I went on to several forums and was able to get pieces of information to do the job. If your buddy is mechanically inclined, it's not too bad of a job. It just takes a lot of time (though I think I'd be faster doing it again).

My Tacoma was on the original belt at 125,000 miles. I was getting concerned but when I pulled it apart the belt wasn't that bad at all. I think it could have gone another ~30K easily. However, my waterpump was weeping, so it's good I changed that. Some forums recommended changing the cam seals and main seal. I had no signs of leakage so I left them.

*Right! If the seals aren't leaking, leave'em alone I say!

I do know of some fella's that have replaced the seals that weren't leaking just as a PM. And then they developed a leak(s).
IKD which one started leaking and it wasn't a bad leak but, it now leaked/dripped where as it hadn't prior.

I have done a few belts (not on a Honda albeit) and used Aisin kits as well as Gates. Both were identical in components except the belt, which is fine. I'd be OK with a Gates kit, too.

a) Do make sure you do the tensioner; some kits don't have it and some older factory instructions make it an optional replacement. They do fail periodically - I had an Aisin one that was not changed (by the dealer) fail later.

b) I agree, if the seal is not leaking, don't mess with it. Has always worked for me and the way my dad taught me a long time ago.

c) RockAuto always has a 5% discount code available, google it.

d) They are a good source for quality Denso oil filters at good prices, check that out when (if) ordering from them.

e) If you can't get/borrow a crank tool, you can use a mechanic's trick of taking your old serp belt, wrap it on the crank and double it back on itself. Then secure the other end to a frame component. As you loosen the bolt, the belt will snug and tighten the pulley.

Last edited:
Yep, I didn't replace any seals when I did mine. The whole engine, really, seems like it's new still. Nothing leaks, nothing seeps, nothing's cracked or roached or...anything. The timing belt components all looked brand new. I know that looks can be deceiving, but I was very impressed with the condition of all the under-hood components. This is a 10 year old vehicle and stuff like that has worn extremely well.

I'd do the job again in a minute. As much as timing belts get a bad rap here, they're a cinch to change...or at least Honda's is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back