CARQUEST Red and Blue filters by Champion Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes it was meant to be internal, I didn't know this when I posted it. Jay is working on getting the approvals for it to go public again.

How did it show up on YouTube is it wasn't meant to be shown to the public?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes it was meant to be internal, I didn't know this when I posted it. Jay is working on getting the approvals for it to go public again.

How did it show up on YouTube is it wasn't meant to be shown to the public?

Must have been the north Koreans.

^^^ Could be ...
eek.gif

No expert on yt but my understanding when it's posted as public anyone can see it and therefore also post it or link to it. That being the case whoever posted the link here is immaterial.

Thinking someone is left red faced but I'm not thinking anything as sinister as N Korea. No matter, this horse already left barn. Enough description in this thread to fairly well visualize the construction. Think M1 210 for the blue construction. Picked that one because it is the FL820S equivalent and uses dome bypass unlike many M1 with thread end bypass. The red is similar with lower efficiency (stated as~94%) and nitrile adbv.

I do plan to pursue the Honda Accord/Civic assembly line OF Champ conjecture based on the yt.

But I agree with Artie.
56.gif

Interesting to note imo, with the re-release of the promotional yt is the ending regarding supplier of OE filters. It is Champ Labs that is specifically recognized as the OE supplier with no mention of the brand under which it now falls. So apparently the recent correction/notation of Champ as the Ford OEM supplier was entirely accurate and appropriate.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I read it right here that metal endcaps " are going away in the filter industry". Or does that only apply when one is dissing competitors.
56.gif

I do note they are not using Champ ecore felt endcap construction used in current AC Delco's. Nor are they using Champ's combo valves in combination with ecores and felt endcaps found in many STP, Firestone, Wally TLE and their Defense filter line. That's a plus.

As for the leaf spring v coil spring discussion, all in the point of view. Leaf springs work but so do coil springs as the previous maker of the Carquest and current maker of the O'R oil filter line and several other respected manufacturers have proven over years of sales. Just a manufacturer preference in combination with overall construction of a filter. Anything else is marketing blather imo.

I also note that the filter dissection presentation doesn't include mention of difference in bypass location and/or shows one of the applications with engine block bypass. Previous maker uses thread end bypass in the majority of applications, as opposed to dome end for the new Carquest line.

As an aside, I see the much discussed GM 1988 filter study of used as reference. There is at least one long time respected member here that disputes the validity of that study to real world use. If interested, easy to find with a google search.

All that said, construction and efficiency specs of the new Carquest line look solid. Price point will be a telling factor. It does seem extraordinary though for a perennial advocate of fiber endcaps acknowledging metal endcaps work just fine.

My .02

The Wix filter for my GM 4.8 has a dome end bypass, not a thread side bypass. I think there may be more dome ended Wix's than people think.

The metal end caps were used because the average filter buyer does not like "cardboard" endcaps. Anybody ever see the half-dozen or so oil filters that are cut open in certain auto parts stores? It can be very persuasive to the average person buying an oil filter.
About a month ago, I installed a remanufactured engine in my kid's Ford car. For the initial startup, I used a Wix-manufactured Carquest filter and Peak 5W-20 oil. (There is a CarQuest about a half hour away from me. I just happened to be driving by, so....) The company that remanufactured the engine demands that the first oil change should be at 500 miles to validate the warranty, so today I changed the 5W-20 oil and put on a Motorcraft filter. Why Motorcraft? Because I'm not loyal to a single brand of filter, the Motorcraft has a decent price and this filter MIGHT only go to 3K miles.
IMO, if the Carquest filters are priced at ~$9 like a poster reported, the average Joe won't buy them, especially when the average guy doesn't understand the micron filter ratings at a certain percent.
IMO, the CarQuest filters appear to be a very good filter, but I'd be more tempted to buy the green Castrol filters that were posted on this site before the new CarQuest filters.

Quote:
The Wix filter for my GM 4.8 has a dome end bypass....

The 57060 has dome end as does the 51372, the MC FL820S equivalent. There are a few others but the vast majority of Wix filters continue to be traditional metal thread end bypass.

As an example in Wix's relatively new 57356 application for Hondas, they initially started with dome end bypass and nitrile adbv. They quickly added silicone adbv to match the other Wix/NG line. And the latest and I would assume final iteration uses Wix's traditional thread end bypass. Even the Silver line uses majority thread end bypass though unlike Wix/NG, some applications use a combo valve. But some use Wix traditional metal coil spring thread end bypass. Which leads back to the point, that the promo yt makes no mention of the bypass difference and/or shows an application with block bypass.

As for the choice of using metal endcaps in the CQ, once 'Fram filtration' decided that the Champ division would make the new CQ line they really didn't have much choice. It was either that, or use the lowest tier line used in the old SuperTech line, currently the STP/Defense/WM TLE/Firestone Lube jobber type filters and many of those are ecores.

So for the two lines, they went with filters similar in appearance to the old Champ made classic ACDelco line for the red and similar to the M1 line but with dome bypass for the blue. I speculate they chose Champ to make it among other reasons, to match the metal endcap construction of the pevious Wix CQ, as Fram only uses metal in the synthetic FU filter line. And it's only used in that line because synthetic media construction requires it.

And as noted, the price point will be a big factor in sales.

I just came across this thread. I have been using Car Quest blue filters for years. Is there any significant difference between these new champion filters and the old Wix filters that should cause me to switch to another source for Wix filters?

If you are looking for a Wix filter for your application, you might try NAPA or O'Reilly auto parts.

If these are not near your location, Amazon is always there with good pricing and free delivery if you buy $35 worth of stuff.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
If you are looking for a Wix filter for your application, you might try NAPA or O'Reilly auto parts.

If these are not near your location, Amazon is always there with good pricing and free delivery if you buy $35 worth of stuff.

I am fine with the Champions as long as they are comparable in filtration and quality to the Wix made Car Quest blue filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back