Pennzoil Euro 0/5w40 and factory clean claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know how Pennzoil said that no other oil kept engines factory clean and then in small print this was based on testing of 5w30.

Well, the 5w40, in Shell Helix Ultra form in Australia, now claims the same thing with this small print:

Quote:
Based on Sequence VG sludge test results using 0W-40

http://www.shell.com.au/products-service...ultra-5w40.html

They are also making claims about their 0w20.

I like pennzoil and its my go too oil however I feel any oil changed at a proper interval should keep an engine clean.
If it doesn't I won't use the product. I have a Milwaukee inspection device with a camera,light and digital screen so I can look at the entire head thru the oil fill hole.

I'll bet I could sell a lot of those "digestive system flushes" on this site. Fair amount of OCD about "cleaning" here.

Well, I did oil change on a wife's car a month ago with Shell Ultra 5w-40 and it already turned dark, so it appears it's cleaning very good. This engine was out of the car so I did pull the oil pan and there was no sludge or varnish. Mobil Synthetic I used in previous engine never turned dark this fast.

Mobil Super 3000 x1 5w-40, it's synthetic oil and differs from North American Super 3000. It is positioned below M1 in European Mobil line of oils.

But like Shell/Pennzoil say, they do not sell ODI's

Manufacturers use extended ODI's as a marketing point to sell the car so sticking to the full ODI can push the oil way out of it's comfort zone

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Mobil Super 3000 x1 5w-40, it's synthetic oil and differs from North American Super 3000. It is positioned below M1 in European Mobil line of oils.

Just reread your original post. Did you say you changed the engine? If so, I don't think we can conclude that the PU oil is cleaning any better.

Yes, I did change the motor, but I've also pulled oil pan on both engines and additionally pulled head on a broken one with hole in the piston.
Old motor had some minor sludge on oil pan bottom, and was on a 10-15 k km oci with M Super 3000x1 for last 5-6 years except for one time when I experimented with HDEO.
New (second) motor is spotless inside, yet Shell Ultra turned dark in less than 1k km.
It's important to say that this Shell is on pair with M1 while 3000 x1 is one step below. Price is similar though.

Yes definitely, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is comparable to M1 0w40.

I've used both in the same vehicle, M1 0W40 twice, followed by the Pennzoil (Shell), and not enough of a difference to draw any conclusion. If anything M1 0w40 came out blacker, but it went in first.

Well I've never used M1 so can't comment on that, but M1 definitely have better add pack then 3000x1, so results would be different for me no doubt.

Last edited:
I've used both M1 0W-40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in the bimmers.
My butt dyno didn't notice any difference at all, couldn't see a difference either through the engine oil cap and the oil that came out after the OCI.
But my pockets definitely felt the difference.
grin.gif

Oh, one thing though, both of these oils do smell quite different. Dont ask how i know.
The Shell Helix Ultra has the usual petroleum smell but the M1 had a weird "sweet" oil smell. LOL

Originally Posted By: Noobie
I've used both M1 0W-40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in the bimmers.
My butt dyno didn't notice any difference at all, couldn't see a difference either through the engine oil cap and the oil that came out after the OCI.
But my pockets definitely felt the difference.
grin.gif

Oh, one thing though, both of these oils do smell quite different. Dont ask how i know.
The Shell Helix Ultra has the usual petroleum smell but the M1 had a weird "sweet" oil smell. LOL

What about taste?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
What about taste?

Now that's a good question sir!
Personally, i prefer Shell Helix Ultra.
Yeah, you won't believe what i'll say, this is the best thing ever. I've always used it to cook my meals and its better than vegetable/olive oil by far. It gives the dishes a very special taste.
Everyone says that my dishes taste awesome and they ask me what's my secret. I tell them that it's all about love, cooking with passion.
Now don't go out there and tell anyone about my secret.
eek.gif

PS. Been doing this for over 10 years with no side effects or health issues, you should try it out.

Last edited:
Sorry for a stupid question guys. Isn't Shell Helix Ultra and Pennzoil Ultra are the same oils?

Since Shell owns Pennzoil I presume they sell the same oils just under two different brand names, correct?

In Europe (both Western and Eastern) we do not see much of Pennzoil brand, however Shell is quite popular ...

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Sorry for a stupid question guys. Isn't Shell Helix Ultra and Pennzoil Ultra are the same oils?

Since Shell owns Pennzoil I presume they sell the same oils just under two different brand names, correct?

In Europe (both Western and Eastern) we do not see much of Pennzoil brand, however Shell is quite popular ...

Most people will say they are the same thing.
I not really sure if they are or not since i've seen discrepancies/differences in their MSDS Sheets and Porduct Information Docs. So my take on it is, they are similar but not the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back