00 Saturn SL1 Wheel bearing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm 99% sure a wheel bearing on my SL1 is bad, and 98% sure it's the left front. It's making that annoying whining sound, gas mileage dropped off sharply and suddenly, and handling is a hair off.

I'm gonna have my mechanic check it first thing Monday morning, but I am pretty sure it needs a new wheel bearing. If so, what is the best brand to get? Maybe this?: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/g...+wheel+bearing

I lean toward having my mechanic replace the thing. I could 'probably' do it without hosing the suspension---but I need this car to get to work and back, so my risk tolerance is low. How long a job is it? I trust the guy I would take it to, but it's good to have background info.

TIA....

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: benjamming
bad link.

Sorry about that. Not sure what happened. The link showed GMB Wheel Bearing
Part No. K8000439704GMB from AAP. I could get that for $36 plus shipping, but it can't be bought in AAP stores, it seems.

That looks like a good part to me. When I found it on their site, the price I saw was $54. If you have to have one shipped, Rock Auto lists 5 different parts and prices for your ride. The first two look way too cheap; I suspect the Timken and "National" SKUs are the same part and are probably OK. I've a bias toward OEM parts and would probably get the AC Delco unit at $45. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2962197&cc=1364510
I find it confusing that the GMB part shows the hub assembly too, which are normally part of the rear wheel bearing set, but maybe that's just a content anomaly of AAP's web page.

Kevin

I'd use timkin. the bearing is in the knuckle and you need a press to get it out and press the hub back in. Its not terrible but not easy either. If you don't support the bearing inner race while properly while pressing in the hub , it will fail in a few thousand miles. My 12 ton press was barely enough to get the old bearing out. I freeze the new bearings in the deep freezer over night before pressing them in to the knuckle.

Last edited:
Belated thanks for all advice. I punted and had my mechanic do the bearing job. He charged $202 cash, which is as good as it was gonna get around here.

I don't own air tools, so that was pretty much a deal-breaker on my doing the job. Before I get shamed off BITOG, I am studying up on tutorials for installing a new water pump next year....

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Belated thanks for all advice. I punted and had my mechanic do the bearing job. He charged $202 cash, which is as good as it was gonna get around here.

I don't own air tools, so that was pretty much a deal-breaker on my doing the job. Before I get shamed off BITOG, I am studying up on tutorials for installing a new water pump next year....

No shame. Some tasks we can do ourselves, some we can't. I've done the water pump, its easier if you have small hands.

Last edited:
Those style wheel bearings make you happy that newer all in one hub/bearings are so easy to replace.

Sometimes people are lucky enough to live near an automotive machine shop. They charge about $20-$30 to press a wheel bearing, but finding them isn't easy.

I'm glad you were able to pay someone $202 for the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back