2014 Ford Focus Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad took me to NYC last summer and we ended up with a Focus like this. The DCT was so jerky, that my rally car shifts gears more smoothly!

We didn't like the Ford Connect system. It seemed to get in the way of everything. I practically had to act as a co-driver because of that badly designed computer.

Dad said that the engine didn't have much torque. I told him that when you make a naturally aspirated engine get 80 HP/l, you will get low torque. I suggested that if he wanted some car that size, he would need to get a turbo engine, and I told him about the current VW Golf and Jetta.

I don't know what improvements Ford has made to the DCT on these cars (and the Fiesta) but I also rented one awhile back (early model). The car was OK...but the trans sucked. Slow and clunky low speed shifting and "slipping" got very annoying in city traffic...it really felt like there was something wrong with it. I know that these DCT transmissions are not as smooth as a traditional automatic (no torque convertor to smooth things out) but other manufacturers (VW/Audi come to mind) have versions in their "mainstream" cars that behave much better. These units have been very problematic for Ford and I wouldn't consider one. My other issue was so-so rear legroom which isn't a deal breaker but for anyone thinking of actually putting passengers back there on a regular basis you should check it out.

I have a CVT in my car and that isn't perfect either (although it's been reliable so far)...but I've gotten used to it (would prefer a traditional automatic next time...). Ford either needs to nail the performance and reliability of these transmissions or stop using them altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back