Struts for the 'ol minivan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The struts on the minivan are about gone...lots of bottoming and noise. I got about 60K out of the last ones (Sachs)but it's time to replace them. With 132K on the van I'm determined to see if I can run it to 200k miles before letting it go so I need to replace these.

I was happy with the Sachs...nice ride/handling balance and they seemed to last pretty well but am considering giving the Gabriel Ultras a try...read some decent reviews about them. I'm not a big fan of Monroes...prior experience with them was they were very soft and didn't last (granted, a few years ago...maybe they've improved).

Does anyone have any experience with the Gabriels? There aren't a lot of options out there for struts...KYB, Sachs, Monroe and Gabriel seem to be what's available (not including the inexpensive Sensen). I need to pull the trigger on something soon...appreciate any input.

If you like sachs, get sachs. If these start getting mushy send the first set back under warranty.

I can recommend Gabriel Ultras and they are unbeatable for their price. Did all 4 on my car for $155 a few months ago with Ultras and they are very good so far and from what I've heard they are very durablenand last a long time

Actually, my springs are not rusted...nor is any other part of the van. Yearly rustproofing and conscientious washing have avoided that problem (you can keep a vehicle in this area from rusting despite all the road salt...but it takes a little effort).

I called Sachs and they'll "get back to me in the morning". If I have to return them and go through all kinds of hassle I'm not going to bother (I ordered them over the internet when I bought them). I'd be willing to install another set but if there isn't a warranty worth anything I'm going with the Gabriels (I put KYB's on a different minivan a few years ago and they rode terrible...very rough...took them off and installed OEM...depends on the application I guess. I also installed them on a 1992 Olds Regency and they were great...not rough at all).

KYB makes good shocks, OE for most Japanese cars. Get the GR2 in the front and Gas-a-just in the rear.

I believe Monroe has a lifetime warranty for their quickstruts. I have their Reflex shocks and struts (just struts, re-used OEM spring) and they work great.

If you have any issues with them you can exchange them

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I believe Monroe has a lifetime warranty for their quickstruts. I have their Reflex shocks and struts (just struts, re-used OEM spring) and they work great.

If you have any issues with them you can exchange them

Sure, you can give Monroe the old ones and take the new ones, however, Monroe isn't going to help you with the labor involved in replacing struts. That is why getting the longest lasting struts is worthwhile.

I'm not sure what is available for your car, but if you can get Bilsteins, they are worth it. Unfortunately, unless you car was built with Bilsteins, had optional Bilsteins, or is popular with tuners, you probably can't get Bilsteins.

I like Sachs struts. European cars use them from the factory, and they do last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back