Found beater car....can't decide whether to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a beater just to run errands and cruise back roads with. Found a 1995 saturn sc for 400 with 100k. Newer tires with new battery plugs wires alternator and brake lines. Seems decent n goes down road n stops. I researched them and their common probs and feel that I could work on it. Am I better off waiting and getting a 1500-2000 dollar car?

Watch for the area around where the trailing arms attach to the body,just in behind the rockers.When that area rusts away (and its just sheet metal) the car is toast.

It's just tough to justify around Christmas I guess. New baby and down to 1 income. I get sick of putting gas in my 2500hd though. I want something I can run around with n pull the truck off the road in the winter. I know it's a good deal but 400 can go a long way towards home improvement too

Is it an SC1 (SOHC, 7th or 8th (don't remember) vin number is an 8) or SC2 (vin number is an 7)?

Manual or automatic?

Manual SC1's get great mileage,
manual SC2's (and SW2, SL2) you can change 5th gear from a .730 to a .605 easy.
I get just under 40 MPG on long highway only trips...

Last edited:
Use straight copper plugs, it's a waste spark design (fires backwards on two plugs.
NGK Canada list plugs, I use the V-Powers...

(98 SL2 Example, use the part finder on the right to find the correct ones)
http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/results-cars...mp;aaia=1040941

Change the Electronic Coolant Temp Sensor (ECTS) and use a full synthetic 5W-30 oil with a Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195 filter...

Sounds like a decently maintained car. I'd jump on it. $400 is what, 4-5 tanks of gas for your 2500 pickup? I bet you can get it on the road for under $800 after taxes/insurance/plates/registration/inspection. If it's a manual, it should get 30+ mpg pretty easily, and mid-20's around town.

Synthetic oil is cheap if you keep an eye on the rebate/sale forum on this site. Most of the synthetic oil I purchased for much less than $3 per quart.

Most likely high 20s around town for the SOHC but smart hypermilers get over 30 and some that are ecomoders get 40s or even 50s (highway)
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Drainback grooves on the pistons clog, resulting in ring wear and oil burning.

Hence full synthetic.
And check the oil at least every fill up!

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Funny how these beaters last for hundreds of thousands of miles quite easily.

217K here... I have been burning 1qt./500 miles since I bought it at 123K. Just had to replace the Cat at 215K.

--

OP - $400 sounds like a screaming deal if you were in my part of NY, so much so I would wonder what hidden problem there might be if it was here. There's an SL2 I pass every morning on my way to work with 120K and they are asking $3,000.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back