M1 0w30 vs Castrol 0w30 Euro formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using 0w30 M1 for awhile in my supercharged GM 3800 motor and all seems well. I buy my oil at Walmart only because it's the only place I can get 0w30, but I work in auto parts and I'd like to buy my oil from work. We just got in Castrol Edge 0w30 European formula. What's the difference in the euro formula? Which oil would be a better fit for me?

I've heard people talk about heavy 0w30s and light ones, some people say M1 is noisier in engines while Castrol is quieter.

Just looking for some info to make my choice better, stay with M1 or switch to the Castrol edge euro formula, both 0w30?

There's no practical way to tell which oil would do better in your vehicle. First there's no definition of "better" and who knows enough about your driving habits and environment to even make a guess. Either oil should be more than good enough. Pick one and use with confidence. You engine is a known sturdy engine that should probably out live the rest of the car. Forget all the antipodal information about either oil. They are both excellent products.

That was more or les my thinking, but my main curiosity was what is different between the European formula and a U.S. version of the same oil. What makes the euro blend non-dexos approved, but the U.S. formulation is?

"Euro" formulations are usually thicker particularly in 30 grade since many of the vehicles they target require higher HTHS values. The Castrol Euro is likely close to the top of 30 grade, I'd guess it has a HTHS of 3.5 if it meets BMW and Mercedes specs.

Try the Castrol if you want it won't hurt anything.

Castrol Euro is still SL approved because it has higher ZDDP than SM and SN allow.

I would prefer the Castrol for a different reason. Many cars that accept Castrol Euro 0w30 have forced induction, so I would think it has some advantage with your supercharged engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back