M1 0w-40 is synthetic in Germany again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
And perhaps the German label laws had a larger effect on Mobil's Euro oil sales than they anticipated. Though I'm just spitballing with that one
grin.gif

Since both Castrol and Mobil have gone to a richer amber color, perhaps for an oil to be taken seriously it needs to look more like German beer than American Budweiser.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Since both Castrol and Mobil have gone to a richer amber color, perhaps for an oil to be taken seriously it needs to look more like German beer than American Budweiser.

Lol,
No actually I have been using SN version for a 2 years and did oil change in October. This what I poured in on Sunday looks like it changed color. I have no doubts that it meets all what they claim, just saying, or I might had too much of Glenlivet night before
cool.gif

OVERKILL,

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My issue with Castrol is twofold:

-The varnish I've seen with the BMW-branded Castrol product
-Their horrendously vague PDS's

I'm sure this 0w-40 is an exceptional product I just can't bring myself to try it, LOL.

In fact, there is the same opinion in Eastern Europe about Castrol: that it makes your engine covered with varnish. These are opinions based on German made Castrol since GC is normally sold in Europe.

I saw many different pictures of engines with varnish blaming Castrol, however I thought that this was probably a result of fake oil use. It is quite common in some countries in Eastern Europe that you buy a bottle of Castrol with some mineral oil inside. Since the oil is so popular, everyone is trying to fake it over there.

Now I see people in North America are saying the same. I wonder, if Castrol is just known for varnish globally?
smile.gif

OVERKILL,

That's from the new MSDS for M1 0w-40 in Germany, dated November 21st, 2014. It shows 50-60% PAO now.
smile.gif

I took a look at my favorite German shop where I buy oil, and indeed I see that Mobil 1 NEW LIFE 0W-40 is marked as Vollsynthetik.

The full list of specs is:

Eigenschaften: Vollsynthetik

Freigabe: ACEA A3, ACEA B3, ACEA B4, API SJ, API SL, API SM, API SN, BMW LL 01, MB 229.3, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, VW 502.00, VW 503.01, VW 505.00.

They say that this oil is also recomended for: API CF, OPEL GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-02, FIAT 9.55535-Z2/FIAT 9.55535-M2/FIAT 9.55535-N2, SAAB.

More details (in German) can be seen at https://www.autoteile-meile.ch/Oele/Mobil-1/NEW-LIFE-0W-40/p-OIL-29

If you wish to see more Vollsynthetik oils from Mobil you can use the following filter: Mobil 1 PAO oils

If you wish to see full Vollsynthetik list you can use the following filter: PAO oils

Last edited:
And perhaps the German label laws had a larger effect on Mobil's Euro oil sales than they anticipated. Though I'm just spitballing with that one
grin.gif

I agree with you.
European buyers must be a bit more into what's on the label than we are.
I just bought 10 jugs of m1 0w-40 at Canadian tire the other day. I wonder if it's the stuff that can be labelled synthetic,or if it's the other stuff.
Not that it matters a whole lot to me to be honest. I've got tons of 20 grades and now lots of 40 grades so I'm going to mix fir the truck to get a 30 grade,and my charger is getting the 0w-40 straight up.
I'm going to supercharge the charger thus spring so I figured a 40 grade will be better in that application now.
I still want MDS so I'm going with a snail rather than a twin screw. Then it still has the same road manners til I hit the loud pedal then at 5500rpm I've got 500tq and 435hp.
And should still net an easy 25mpg.
I love modern tech.

Sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't matter how seller is marketing oil, it only matter what's, written on the can, and there still stands :
Mobil SHC Synthese Technology

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't matter how seller is marketing oil, it only matter what's, written on the can, and there still stands :
Mobil SHC Synthese Technology

Who's wrong?

Maybe try quoting the person you are disagreeing with so people here will have a clue as to what you are referring to.

volodymyr, many sellers are marketing oils as vollsynt. but in fact oil they are selling are hydro cracked. What's written on the bottle is important, but be careful because for other German speaking countries that rule doesnt apply.
Cheers

Last edited:
All of which means what? I mean, it meets specs or it doesn't, and M1 0W-40 meets just about any you need. Is there a tangible benefit to worrying about the exact composition?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
All of which means what? I mean, it meets specs or it doesn't, and M1 0W-40 meets just about any you need. Is there a tangible benefit to worrying about the exact composition?

At $95 AUD for 5 Litres you may need to rethink this one in Australia. An OEM approved oil at a less expensive price would be more appropriate despite the Whooooo-Haaaaaaaa regarding M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back