Broke another MT-82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wtd
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
As an update, the new trans feels amazing. No slop in the shifter at all, gear engagement has a very positive feel. Happy with the car again.

COOL!
thumbsup2.gif

Maybe they really did make running improvements to it along with MUCH better/stricter QC. (Let's keep our fingers crossed!)

Well this time I actually got a new assembly. Long story, but the factory units have the VIN laser etched in them. The one that came out of my car this time had the VIN from another customer's car on it.

So are you saying your own dealership took a used tranny out of a customer's car and stuck it in yours the last time? If so, that is all kinds of messed up.

Wayne
They probably either bought a rebuilt one or one from a wreck.

So are you saying your own dealership took a used tranny out of a customer's car and stuck it in yours the last time? If so, that is all kinds of messed up.

Wayne

That's what I was wondering as well.

He made the statement that the VIN on that tranny was from another customer's car so I'm assuming it was from a car and customer he is familiar with since he works at a Ford dealer and probably has access to this type of info.

I don't consider a Ford dealer buying a used tranny from a wrecked vehicle an appropriate solution for a warranty issue. It should be a Ford reman or a brand new one.

Wayne

It was a convoluted mess, and the customer that owns the other VIN is probably completely unaware he has a "new" unit in his car. All is well with my car right now, so I am happy, but I learned who to trust and not trust at my work even more now.

It was a convoluted mess, and the customer that owns the other VIN is probably completely unaware he has a "new" unit in his car. All is well with my car right now, so I am happy, but I learned who to trust and not trust at my work even more now.

Unbelievable indictment of the personnel at your dealer!

IMO this is just unacceptable. Used parts? Ranks right up there with any of my old stealership stories....

He made the statement that the VIN on that tranny was from another customer's car so I'm assuming it was from a car and customer he is familiar with since he works at a Ford dealer and probably has access to this type of info.

I don't consider a Ford dealer buying a used tranny from a wrecked vehicle an appropriate solution for a warranty issue. It should be a Ford reman or a brand new one.

Wayne

While I do absolutely agree with you the truth of the matter is that ford can choose to put whatever they want in there. They have to warranty it,so if it blows again it's their dime,and the unhappy owners time.
A friend of mine has a body shop. The shop is situated in between 2 other body shops.
One of these "accredited" body shops were using "re-conditioned" body parts. Looked nice on the painted side,but the backside showed a cobbled mess.
Many An unwary customer got hosed with junk parts,though nicely finished,and the insurance company got hosed because they were billed for new parts.
The auto industry as a whole can be criminally fraudulent so it's certainly buyer beware b

Wow, that has to be quite a story...

Was this some sort of mix up or some intentional switcheroo?

Glad to hear the new one feels right!

If I'm not mistaken, most warranty rules state that the manufacturer has the option of using new, manufactured, or used parts. Either way, I'm glad your car is right again. After two transmissions, it certainly should be.

From Page 9 of the 2014 Warranty booklet:

"When making warranty repairs on your vehicle, the dealer will use Ford or Motorcraft parts or remanufactured or other parts that are authorized by Ford, at the discretion of Ford or the Ford dealership."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14frdwa3e.pdf

In my opinion, this gives no left or right boundaries and pretty much allows the dealer to install anything, as long the parts are "authorized by Ford".

Originally Posted By: Olas
Is part of the problem having to make a payment every month?
Perhaps if you bought a car outright, paying cash in full, then you would either:
A: have bought something older, like a 10 GT with a 5sp tremec
B: have bought something cheaper, freeing up the money to do repairs
Or
C: carry on making payments on a newer vehicle, but at least have the good sense to specify a long standing and durable gearbox that is a known quantity.

Simple really.

Why should he need to worry about "freeing up money to do repairs" on a car that is less than a year old and still under warranty?
crazy2.gif

Simple really
smirk.gif

Glad to hear you got this mess sorted out. And I hope your new transmission is much better than your previous two.

Question: The transmission that was put in your car previously, was it a used pull, pulled BECAUSE it was being replaced from another car (by the tranny you thought you were getting) or a rebuilt unit that came from another car you were familiar with?

If you can't share the details no worries but I am sure I am not the only one curious about that
smile.gif

Under warranty, we always use new parts from Ford.

The only exception is in rare circumstances when there is a backorder with no date off, and no dealers close have one in stock. At that point we are given permission by Ford to install an aftermarket part.

As far as the debacle with my car, it was mostly negligence and incompetence by an employees that do not care. What is funny is when I called them out on it they act like it is no big deal and wonder why when they come to me for parts now phone calls, front counter customers (who I usually run from) come first, or i magically have to run to the bathroom instead of helping them.

So did you get the tranny pulled from somebody else's car for replacement put in yours and they got your new tranny?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
So did you get the tranny pulled from somebody else's car for replacement put in yours and they got your new tranny?

Pretty much ya. They put a trans in the other guys car because there was noise from the bellhousing area. They couldn't determine if it was engine or trans, so they went with trans first since they are cheaper than a Coyote longblock. Obviously the noise was from the engine. The technician was supposed to take the trans back out, since Ford frowns upon replacing both an engine and trans on the same repair order. However this technician just left the new one in and returned that customers factory one in the case as a new unit. He had it wrapped up in the packaging a new one would come in with the box nailed shut.

When that unit went into my car in August, a different tech did the work, he didn't think anything of it and threw it in the car. That was the assembly without an input shaft seal installed, which Lord only knows what happened with that.

The tech that did the original work is a really good tech, but they take advantage of him a lot and load 12+ cars at a time on him and don't give him enough time to finish jobs.

In the end I was taken care of, but I am going to enjoy seeing the repair get rejected by Ford when they call the transmission back and wonder why there is a VIN from another car on the side of the case. And yes, there is photo evidence both on my phone, online, and on multiple hard drives.

Wow, stories like this really make you wonder what really goes on behind the scenes at a dealership. I guess there is a reason a lot of people don't trust dealerships.

Wayne

Wow, stories like this really make you wonder what really goes on behind the scenes at a dealership. I guess there is a reason a lot of people don't trust dealerships.

Wayne

Yes, honest dealerships and mechanics are hard to find. I'm very lucky that my local Chrysler dealer is excellent as is our local Ford dealer. Our local GM dealer does not have the same reputation and neither does our Honda dealer who was fined significantly for dumping used oil in the woods behind their shop
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When can you lemon law the car?

I need to research it some. The SYNC never worked, total junk setup. The engine makes a very obvious tapping noise that is "normal", something is going on in the rear suspension too.

It has come to the point that I just don't want the car anymore. I have owned nothing but Ford products my whole life, Volvo was part of Ford when I bought mine, but there is nothing they make currently I am interested in.

And, stories like yours keep me from purchasing a new Mustang. My current car was purchased as a "short term" toy. I'd like to purchase a new, reliable, daily driver, performance car with a manual transmission.

The new Corvette is a bit out of reach, even so, it's having engine problems. The new Mustang is right in the correct price range, but the transmission issues clearly continue. The Camaro is too heavy and really not all that fast unless one spends lots of money for the supercharged version.

I guess I'll keep my current "beater" a few more years.

My 11 years old S2000 had been to dealer 3 times for 3 free oil changes
grin.gif
. So far only parts that this car need were brake pads and rotors, battery, tires and other wear and tear parts. But I think it may need new clutch, it seems to slip at high RPM around 6-7k a little lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back