Which oil would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased a new car and my first ever diesel.
It has a Toyota 1KD-FTV engine which is an I4 Turbo Diesel with Common Rail Direct Injection.

While looking at the oil options i have, i found these 3 possible choices.

Shell Rotella T6 Synthethic 5W-40 (API CJ-4)
Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 (API CJ-4) (Not the "synthethic" version)
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 PurePlus (API SN)

All of them cost almost the same. (The Rotella T6 being the more expensive i believe and the Shell Helix Ultra the cheapest BUT i havent checked the Shell Helix Ultra price for almost a year so that could've changed)
Would you go for a diesel engine oil or a gasoline engine oil?

Last edited:
Just looked at the manual.
API CF-4, CF / ACEA B1
All of those are obsolete ratings so i'd guess the best choices would be API CJ-4 Approved oils.
Preferred oil weight is 5W-30 but since i live in a pretty hot climate i wouldn't mind running something thicker since i do lots of stop and go traffic.

Looking at my list the only possible choices would then be the Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 or the Shell Rotella T6 Synthethic 5W-40.
There are some other cheaper options like Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella T1, Shell Rotella Triple T and some others i dont remember.

Last edited:
Just about any of the CJ-4 blends or full synthetics should work ok. I wouldn't have any problem sticking with the 5w30 they recommend. Worried about heat and working that little diesel with a 5w30 in it? The heavy diesel OEM's (13L - 15L engines) are factory filling with 10w30 CJ-4. Several fleets that run anywhere from Canada to the Rio Grande, year round, are on 10w30 HDEO CJ-4 exclusively for their fleet trucks which regularly gross 80K lb and run mountains, deserts, blizzards, etc to the tune of an average 120,000 miles a year and doing 25K oil drains. Granted, they have bigger sumps, but they are putting the 10w30 to serious work and it is doing just fine.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
Just looked at the manual.
API CF-4, CF / ACEA B1
All of those are obsolete ratings so i'd guess the best choices would be API CJ-4 Approved oils.
Preferred oil weight is 5W-30 but since i live in a pretty hot climate i wouldn't mind running something thicker since i do lots of stop and go traffic.

Looking at my list the only possible choices would then be the Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 or the Shell Rotella T6 Synthethic 5W-40.
There are some other cheaper options like Mobil Delvac, Shell Rotella T1, Shell Rotella Triple T and some others i dont remember.

As far as I know ACEA B1 is not obsolete. ACEA standards use the same letter/number combination, they just get updated every two years, so if an owner's manual asks for an A3/B4 2010 oil, it would mean an oil that meets the A3/B4 standard of 2010, 2012 or 2014.

B1 means, more or less, an energy conserving oil for diesel engines.

If the Shell Helix Ultra has a B3 or B4 rating I would go ahead and use it over the others. B3 is a high viscosity diesel oil and B4 is the extended drain version of B3.

Land Cruiser 3.0 DPF?

If you can find:

1 ENEOS Sustina 5W30
2 ENEOS Premium Ultra 0W30
3 ENEOS Premium Hyper 5W30

Otherwise, Shell helix ultra extra or Mobil1 ESP, or similar 5W-30

It`s very new car, new engine, no need for thicker oil even in a hot country. Heat transfer cuuld be slightly better with thiner oil. Coolant temperature (and/or oil pressure) gauge will tell you that it is fine.

if Toyota`s engineers thought they needed different oil grade for hot countries they would write this in manual. They didnt because that engine and recommended oil doing quite well in all weather - for a given use of this particular vehicle

Last edited:
Like others have said, I'd stick with the recommended and preferred oil in the manual if I were you

5w-30 with min specs of API CF-4, API CF, ACEA B1

There are literally hundreds to choose from.

A1/B1 is not obsolete, A2/B2 is. If you want an improvement over this factory recommendations use A5/B5 oil. You will not loose fuel economy, but will gain some benefits over B1 oils. Most stout oil for small diesels would be B4 oil, but it appears that your car doesn't need oils with HT-HS of minimum 3.5 cPa. I would use B4 oil in that engine to have extra safety margin when oil starts to shear.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
DS9, what do you find special about Eneos oils you mentioned in your previous post?

Nothing particularly special, except it is very_good/excellent quality japanese oil (for japanese engine).

And this:

Originally Posted By: GregWRX
Hello all! Been almost a year since I posted my last UOA! Figured I should check how my engine is doing since my last UOA! It's been about 19,000 miles and here is the results! Car has a stock motor with all major bolt ons, fuel pump and 1000cc injectors too. Car is Pro tuned by M.R Performance in westbury ny. Please let me know what you guys think. Black stone says everything looks great! OCI are 4k

Thanks!

-Greg

[img:center]http://[/img]

Do yuou have oposite information since Eneos is present in Croatia?

Last edited:
Hi DS9

Didn't hear much about it to be honest, and never looked into it because it's pricey. One thing I did heard is from my friend (Mazda tech) that they use Eneos C3 oils at Mazda dealers here, and that they supposedly are very good.

Which country do you live in?
Does the vehicle have urea injection?
Does it have a DPF (diesel particulate filter)?

Charlie

@m37charlie

1. Welcome to the club.
happy2.gif

2. Not sure for urea exactly (active regeneration of DPF), but almost certainly
3. Yes

Page 57. 1KD-FTV Repair Manual
http://gershon.ucoz.com/_ld/0/3_1KD-FTV_Prado-2.pdf

Last edited:
Since the manual recommends API CF-4, CF/ACEA B1, i will use diesel oils such as the Rotella T6.
Still not decided which one i'll choose since there are quite a few options.

Shell Rimula R4
Shell Rotella T6, T4, T1 and Triple T
Mobil Delvac (Not sure which ones)
Amsoil OE (Too expensive)
Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40

Theres probably even more options out there but those are the ones i've seen.

Last edited:
Shell Rimula R4 15W-40?

Is it so difficult to answer simple questions asked by the m37charlie?

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Which country do you live in?
Does the vehicle have urea injection?
Does it have a DPF (diesel particulate filter)?

Charlie

And mine?
Originally Posted By: DS9
Land Cruiser 3.0 DPF?

You should seriously consider this

Originally Posted By: chrisri
but it appears that your car doesn't need oils with HT-HS of minimum 3.5 cPa. I would use B4 oil in that engine to have extra safety margin when oil starts to shear.

Last edited:
I always wonder if there is something lost in translation when I see an old obsolete API spec listed alongside a current alternative spec, in this case ACEA B1. Is it maybe because a lot of B1 formulations also happen to meet CF, CF-4 but not CH-4, CI-4 etc? If CF was truly OK why don't they also at least list B3 as this is the oldest and most common HTHS > 3.5 ACEA spec that would easily exceed CF too.

I maybe wrong but I would conclude the manufacturer is really looking for an ACEA B1, and 5w30 would at least back that up. I would use a B1/B5 or if in a really hot climate maybe a B4 but in a 5w30 grade.

The alternative is any diesel oil commonly available is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back