Auto insurance claim question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was involved in a minor fender bender 2 nights ago; no biggy. Someone didn't stay in their lane through a double right turn lane and hit my passenger door at the bottom. It's slightly dented, the paint is scraped in one spot. I filed a claim with the other party's insurance and am scheduled for an estimate Monday. My question: is it possible to just have them write me a check for the estimate? I can probably pop the dent out myself, buff the areas that need it, and use touch up paint on the scrape. It's hardy noticeable as it is. I'd just as soon keep the insurance money. Will they even do that, or will they only pay out to a shop? Thanks!

Last edited:
If there is not a lien on the car, it won't make any difference, and they'll make the check out to you if you ask them. It would be no different than your preferring a "different" body shop than theirs.

If there is a lien (loan) on the car, they will include the lender for their financial interest. The bank may insist on the repairs at a body shop, though which shop can be flexible.

Glad it was minor and no one was hurt!

my buddy back in college (1994) was backed into by someone in a parking lot. They exchanged info and he took it to a backwoods body shop. The ole redneck asked if he wanted it fixed or wanted some partay monay. God I miss rural NC.

Originally Posted By: eagle23

If there is a lien (loan) on the car, they will include the lender for their financial interest. The bank may insist on the repairs at a body shop, though which shop can be flexible.

Glad it was minor and no one was hurt!

It's a 94 Corolla, no lien! The loan value is probably 500 bucks, which is likely what the damage amount is. That's why I want to just pocket the money and either leave the damage as is or try and redneck fix it myself. The paint damage is just a long scratch that I can fill in the touch up paint; I can buff the rest out. I'll try and pop the dent with the inner door panel removed.

Some insurance companies will issue the check to the car owner and that is you, if you agree to sign a paper that you accept the payment as the final settlement, and will not sue them for additional damage for the same accident.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

It's a 94 Corolla, no lien! The loan value is probably 500 bucks, which is likely what the damage amount is. That's why I want to just pocket the money and either leave the damage as is or try and redneck fix it myself. The paint damage is just a long scratch that I can fill in the touch up paint; I can buff the rest out. I'll try and pop the dent with the inner door panel removed.

Or just go to the junkyard and pick up a new door to throw on it. $25 in my neck of the woods for a complete door with all interior trim, glass, etc. You just have to pull it off and carry it off the lot

I'm going through a similar issue where someone hit my door in a parking lot this week. The cheapo insurance company wants to pay $22 to have it buffed out. There's a dent and they won't pay for an estimator to come out, so I'm having the body shop fight them. They want to pay to have the car fixed and won't cut me a check. You're supposed to be issued a check but does the person who hit you have a real insurance company? If so they'll likely cut you a check.

Only thing to beware of is the body shop having the ability to direct bill the insurance co, and will see through your charade. If you don't want to tell them flat out no, say you're looking for another shop closer to your work or something.

They will write you the check if the title only contains your name. You may have to provide that.

Note the check will not exceed the value of your vehicle according to their list books.

I think they're gonna total my car! Over a small dent and some scraped paint. It astonishes me how much the tiniest body damage costs to repair. They say it's $1500 to fix and the car is worth $1000, so I'm gonna try and negotiate a buy back. Either that or try and get an estimate somewhere else and see if they can get it under a thousand and see if the insurance company will write me a check for that. If they total it, the salvage value will probably be what, $500? So I'd get a check for $500 roughly.

Arghhhh...

What about your injured neck and back ?

wink.gif
wink wink

Just kidding.

It is almost always better (if you have it) to use the comp/collision on your insurance and have your insurance pay you, or provide a quality fix for your car as they are on your side and then they will recover the money from the at fault insurance company. If you use the other guys insurance, they don't care about you as you are not their customer and they will cheap out on you at every corner.

Quote:
It is almost always better (if you have it) to use the comp/collision on your insurance and have your insurance pay you, or provide a quality fix for your car as they are on your side and then they will recover the money from the at fault insurance company. If you use the other guys insurance, they don't care about you as you are not their customer and they will cheap out on you at every corner.

That may be true, idk. But as mentioned in previous similar thread if one subrogates as this is called, then it becomes a hit on your insurance and depending on the amount of the claim will raise your rates up to 40% for three years. At least that's how it works here.

It seems to me in this case that working out a reasonable buy back of the totaled vehicle if possible, may be the best course.

IME, insurance companies look out for the bottom line first and foremost, not the insured.

Drew, just from what your describing, the body work alone would exceed $500 in my area and that would be from small, somewhat sketchy outfit.

Collision work is like medical/dental work these days. $$$$$

I always tell folks to only use their policy as a last resort if the accident was not their fault. Always use the at fault parties insurance and use one of their preferred shops if you're worried about warranty work.

When you file a claim on your policy (regardless of fault) it shows up when your renewal comes up and if you're trying to shop around for coverage through another carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back