5.7 Hemi Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Since my 05 6.1 Hemi shipped with NGK plat/iridium hybrids that specify a 105k mile service interval it's an easy choice. The 5.7 has an identical ignition system.

Switch to the exotic metal plugs and be done with it for a LONG time...

Just checked the service interval on my new Ram and it is scheduled for 110,000 miles. That means exotic metal plugs only need apply.

Cheap plugs are just that, cheap.

Clevy is spot on about MDS and VVT versus oil. They are nearly unaffected by oil weight...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
What is the typical change interval for these? Are the factory plugs copper or something else?

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with 40k miles on it. At around 15k miles the dealership told him he needed to replace the plugs.

Why would the dealership recommend changing them 15,000 miles earlier than the owner's manual requires?

$$$
It's a "profit center".

Yup, but hoping the OP would reply.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Since my 2010 is a company truck, I let the dealer replace them every 30k as per the owners manual. The service adviser (I didn't say I believe him) says putting the plats or iridiums in the trucks that weren't designed for it causes rough running and codes. The plugs that come out of it at 30k look brand new though.....

Rough running on high dollar plugs is well documented on the Jeep 4.0, so it is certainly possible.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
What is the typical change interval for these? Are the factory plugs copper or something else?

My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 with 40k miles on it. At around 15k miles the dealership told him he needed to replace the plugs.

Why would the dealership recommend changing them 15,000 miles earlier than the owner's manual requires?

I assume for the profit. They have done a few other things that made me take over the maintenance for him. I do all the oil changes and other maintenance now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back