MS support for Windows 7 ending Jan '15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If Windows keeps losing market share they'll have to make it up somewhere other than laying off the little people.

Losing market share? I'm definitely no Microsoft fanboy, but don't they have a virtual monopoly in the O.S. game?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is normal. The SP1 version of Windows 7 will end "regular" support in January (think consumer support). The product already saw EOS status quite some time back to force consumers to buy Windows 8. However it is still being sold on Business/Enterprise hardware.

It is covered quite well in this link:
http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Which even gives a nice graphical break-down on the difference between mainstream and extended support.

Quote:
Microsoft will offer a minimum of 10 years of support for Business, Developer, and Desktop Operating System (consumer or business) Software Products. Mainstream Support for Business, Developer, and Desktop Operating Systems will be provided for 5 years or for 2 years after the successor product (N+1) is released, whichever is longer. Microsoft will also provide Extended Support for the 5 years following Mainstream support or for 2 years after the second successor product (N+2) is released, whichever is longer. Finally, most Business, Developer, and Desktop Operating System Software products will receive at least 10 years of online self-help support.

For a home user running Win 7, when will the patches and updates via Windows update for the software officially end? Thanks

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For a home user running Win 7, when will the patches and updates via Windows update for the software officially end? Thanks

This would be the end of Extended Support -- January 14, 2020. But who knows, they may extend it.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure how much the Mainstream Support ending would affect most end users (those of you who buy your Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, etc.) as the OEM is responsible for your OS support.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat

This would be the end of Extended Support -- January 14, 2020. But who knows, they may extend it.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure how much the Mainstream Support ending would affect most end users (those of you who buy your Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, etc.) as the OEM is responsible for your OS support.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Originally Posted By: redhat

+1

This.

EDIT: Repeated a previous post. Too late to delete this (wow, that's a small window of opportunity!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If Windows keeps losing market share they'll have to make it up somewhere other than laying off the little people.

Losing market share? I'm definitely no Microsoft fanboy, but don't they have a virtual monopoly in the O.S. game?

Perhaps for desktop, but elsewhere, no. Oracles new M6 machine supports 32Tb of system RAM and has 384 processor cores, supporting 3072 simultaneous program threads. No, it does not run Windows.

Our site primarily uses windows for desktops, print and file sharing and where an application only supports Windows as an OS. All our databases, web servers and web applications use linux.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Oracles new M6 machine supports 32Tb of system RAM and has 384 processor cores, supporting 3072 simultaneous program threads.

Ummm... HOLY %^$#@!

I think I need something like that to properly surf the web!!!

Don't want to derail the thread, but I wonder what it's power requirements are?

Let's see, I've installed an M5 (it's previous iteration) and an M6-32 SuperCluster in the past year. Will do a half dozen more come January.

There are 6 3 phase power feeds supporting 12 7kw power supplies. Of course, it's built for redundancy, so it should only need 6 of those 12 power supplies or about 42kw of power.

I believe the max rated current draw for the M6-32 is 48A at 200-240VAC per power cord. Which seems consistent with what 6 7kw power supplies would provide doing the math in my head.

You can see the details here:

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/server...-ds-2015584.pdf

If you decide to put one of these in the basement of your home, make it easy on your installer and provide the power from the ceiling as the power connections are on the top of the machine.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Oracles new M6 machine supports 32Tb of system RAM and has 384 processor cores, supporting 3072 simultaneous program threads.

Ummm... HOLY %^$#@!

I think I need something like that to properly surf the web!!!

Times 6. There are 12 power supplies, providing redundant power. Need 6 of them to run a fully outfitted chassis.

Quote:

7KW according to their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back