Engine failure and oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factual statement: It is simple... use 0W-20 oil, and your car will never fail. Trolls have stories for otherwise, with selective facts, to fit the agenda of said troll.

Personal statement: Make that Redline 0W-20, which is actually a very very light 30 called a 0W-20, if you must. This is another reason why I mix RP (unknown HTHS oil) and RL, for best blend.

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
Yup dealerships try to get out of honoring warranty work. It's nomral. Nissan dealerships were doing it for the 350z and the easy fix was go to another dealership and hope they do it. If that didn't work, talking directly to Nissan of America Sometimes did it. In the end for the guys who got no where. Offering up the option to take it to the state commissioner that handles businesses normally got the job done.

They know if it goes to court they will lose unless they can prove damaged was caused by failure to use the right oil.

Most people use 1 dealership and choose to believe whatever that dealership says and that's it. Again I was told by 3 different dealerships our car wouldn't be covered under warranty. They only offered to do the work when I told the manager to cut the [censored] or I was going to take it to a higher level.

YES! And this is why I NEVER get warranties. I should print this out...

The warranty changes 100% when you actually go to use it. Sorry to say.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I know of one person who sabotaged their engine by putting a product in the oil designed for that purpose. Dealer put in a brand new engine under warranty and no questions were asked.

What product is designed to sabotage an engine?

They know if it goes to court they will lose unless they can prove damaged was caused by failure to use the right oil.

I am assuming by "they" you mean the car mfg? If so I have to disagree somewhat with your statement. Your statement is not specific enough and doesn't apply to all situations.

Yes, the law( Magnuson-Moss Act ), as I stated earlier, does say a car mfg has to prove a part or fluid directly caused a failure to deny coverage because you used it over OEM. HOWEVER, that is assuming you used the correct fluid/part and that maintenance was done on time.

Your warranty is a contract between you and the car mfg and they have some rights to set conditions by which it is honored. Car mfg X can not just say your warranty is void because you used Pennzoil. As long as the Pennzoil was the correct weight, had/met all required spec's, and you changed it on time by law they can not deny coverage unless the oil itself somehow failed and caused the problems which would make it Pennzoil's issue.

However, if that Pennzoil you used was not the right weight( say you used a 20W50 where 0W20 was called for ), it did not meet/have the spec's required, and/or you did not change it on time then YOU broke the terms of the warranty and the car mfg has the right to deny coverage. You "might" get a Judge to overrule that but not likely( not in my experience ).

People( and aftermarket companies )take the Magnuson-Moss Act to extremes to try and justify doing whatever they want. All that law does is let people use no OEM parts/fluids and have work( non warranty )done where they want or do it themselves vs. being forced to go to the dealer. It also allows for performance modifications to be done with some restrictions but that is not relevant to this topic which is OC's. It does not allow you to do whatever you want to your vehicle. The Magnuson-Moss Act is not carte-blanche to do whatever you want.

You still have to use the correct part/fluid( i.e. right weight oil, correct filter by application, etc... )and you still have to do the required maintenance on time. If you run off and use the wrong parts/fluids and/or exceed the mfg's intervals on maintenance that is all they have to show. When they have to "prove it" is when you did everything right and they are trying to say the aftermarket part/fluid itself caused the problem. Only then.

Last edited:
so dealership says. Sorry we are not covering your cars repair because 2 oil changes ago we believe you used the not correct engine oil. Unless you can provide documentation your warranty is void.

So at any point they can deny pretty much EVERY car that isn't serviced by them or well documented cars. Which we all know most everyone does not document.

They don't need to provide evidence of why they believe the wrong oil was used. Just their word vs yours because you didn't document it.

We can just agree to disagree. Don't need to turn this into the royal purple thread.

I'll sleep easily at night knowing our brand new car that is about to get its first oil change and won't be documented.

You can sleep easily at night knowing you are using the right oils and documenting things.

Cheers.

I posted that last reply from my phone, while feeding my toddler. Just reread what I wrote
smirk.gif
I would fix it but can't edit the post now. Nb4 grammar police show up.

Last edited:
jeffie7;

Whether you wish to believe it or not it does matter that you can document whether or not proper maintenance was done. I am telling you that from personal experience both working dealer service and as a customer who had an engine replacement( Sister's car actually but I handled it for her ). I have dealt with this from both sides.

so dealership says. Sorry we are not covering your cars repair because 2 oil changes ago we believe you used the not correct engine oil. Unless you can provide documentation your warranty is void.

The dealer won't say that though. They have no clue what you used for oil 2 OC's ago and that is the entire point! They will investigate to see what you used and that is where your receipts come into play. They will almost assuredly ask to see proof that you did X# of OC's and that you did them on time and with the correct oil/filter if you have some type of major engine failure that is not a well known issues as another person talked of earlier( even then they may still ask ). They have that right. It is now up to you to provide those receipts. If you can't they have grounds now to work on denying your coverage.

They don't need to provide evidence of why they believe the wrong oil was used. Just their word vs yours because you didn't document it.

Not as far fetched as you think. You have obligations as the car owner, who is provided with the warranty by the car mfg, to do certain things. Maintenance on the car mfg's schedule is one of them. Now, if you have an engine problem and the car mfg asks you for proof you did proper maintenance and you can't provide it they are almost assuredly going to deny the repair under warranty.

You can then take them to court and try to win using the "they must prove what I did caused it" angle or you could try and say "I did it right but don't have the receipts so they have to prove I didn't". My response to that, and it is based on going to court for this exact thing when I worked at the dealer, is the judge is probably going to say that you not being able to provide receipts documenting you actually did proper maintenance justifies the car mfg's denial of warranty.

You actually have some obligation of proof as well. It is not all on the car mfg. You still have to do things properly and when you don't it shifts the burden of proof at the least into the middle if not over to your side. Even if you eventually win it will take a lot of time and money to do so. Is the potential for such a hassle really worth it vs. just changing your oil on time using the right oil and filter and keeping the receipts? Heck, an accurate, well kept, maintenance log helps with resale value of the vehicle be it private or trade in. Keeping that info is just a win win for you as the vehicle owner.

So at any point they can deny pretty much EVERY car that isn't serviced by them or well documented cars. Which we all know most everyone does not document.

Pretty much as long as what they are denying matches up with a lack of documentation on maintenance things. They can't deny a blown transmission because you don't have proof you did OC's. It has to match up. If you can't prove you did the required trans service(s) on time you better believe they will be on it like white on rice!

Car mfg's actually have a right to require proof that you lived up to your end of the warranty requirements. Would you just take someone's word if you were warrantying something that broke on your dime, that required maintenance, without 1st verifying it was done and done properly according to the requirements/schedule you gave the customer at purchase? If the warranty had a time limit wouldn't you require a receipt to verify the item is not too old? I am serious now and not being a jerk. Wouldn't you ask for proof before shelling out for a new item or repairing the old one? Is that really so unreasonable? I find no fault with the car mfg's asking that of us.

I'll sleep easily at night knowing our brand new car that is about to get its first oil change and won't be documented.

Congratulations on your new car( serious ). I seriously hope you never have any major drivetrain issues if you will not keep documentation you did proper maintenance( if you have it done at the dealer of course they have the records although you should still keep your copy ). Engine/drivetrain repairs are very costly these days and having to pay out of pocket would most definitely give you nightmares when you realize if you just kept receipts showing you did things right it would have been covered.
grin.gif

We can just agree to disagree. Don't need to turn this into the royal purple thread.

No let's not turn this useful thread into a fiasco like RP threads turn into full of [censored]. Let's be civil 1st and foremost and let's talk about facts and actual experience not myths or preconceived biases.

10.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMorg
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I know of one person who sabotaged their engine by putting a product in the oil designed for that purpose. Dealer put in a brand new engine under warranty and no questions were asked.

What product is designed to sabotage an engine?

Same product that was used on the cash for clunkers, sodium silicate solution

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: jrmason
That's interesting. The 4.6 in the wife's Mountaineer has an intermittent knock. At first I thought it was the engine pinging, but I dosed the tank with a mid grade gas and the noise still persists from time to time.

2 different animals. The only thing similar between these 2 engines is they are made by ford.

Not totally different. They are both of the Modular family so they share bore spacing, deck height and bell housing bolt pattern. Also connecting rod length is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back