Draining out your old crankcase oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run 'em up to temperature before the oil change and drain 'em until they start dripping.

Unfortunately my wife's Sorento is a bit of a drizzler and takes a while to get to the dripping stage. I'm changing the oil so frequently in that one, that I'm not worried about a little old oil in there.

On mine, if I'm feeling ambitious, I might drag the floor jack out and raise the passenger side and get a little extra drizzle out of 'er.

24HRS not a good idea. Might lose prime of oil pump.
"When the used engine oil is drained from the engine, the oil may also drain from the oil pump pickup tube and possibly from the oil pump itself. When new engine oil is added,
the pump's pickup tube inlet again becomes submerged, trapping air in the tube on the suction side of the oil pump. The trapped air will cause cavitation of the pump and prevent it from producing oil flow and subsequent oil pressure. The low oil pressure light will remain on or the oil pressure gauge will register little or no pressure when the engine is started."
http://www.hastingsfilter.com/Literature/TSB/93-1R1.pdf

There are many cars on the road where the manufacturer recommends the oil filter be changed only every second oil change. This leaves some old oil in the engine,,but it doesn't seem to matter. I don't think there is any real advantage to getting that last ounce of oil out of the engine. Just perform regular oil changes and you'll get tired of the car before the engine is warn out.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
however long it takes the stream to turn to drips...

+1

There is old oil sitting in hollows and depressions throughout the engine .. you'll never get it ALL out.

+2

+3. There are a lot of depressions in the cylinder head valvetrain box and engine block valley (on pushrod V8's) that will never drain.

Unless you turn the car upside-down...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
however long it takes the stream to turn to drips...

+1

There is old oil sitting in hollows and depressions throughout the engine .. you'll never get it ALL out.

+2

+3. There are a lot of depressions in the cylinder head valvetrain box and engine block valley (on pushrod V8's) that will never drain.

09.gif

Oh, you've done it now. Why did you have to go and make a suggestion like that? I can see it now. A year from now, there will be another discussion like this, and there will be half a dozen guys that change their oil with their car on a rotisserie. Now, instead of a 24 hour process, it will be a 48 hour process, with the additional 24 hours with the car upside down.

Warm up engine/oil.
1st take a break and think about it. get stuff ready. Pull plug to drain then filter. Go take a break, tell wife make me something to eat, eat, take a break, then button things back up while having wife shake oil bottles/jug really good.
Add oil, take a break, start and check for leaks, close hood, break time.
Variable, but when I go back to button up, just a drip here and there when I'm going to plug in (install) drain plug.
Break time

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Oh, you've done it now. Why did you have to go and make a suggestion like that? I can see it now. A year from now, there will be another discussion like this, and there will be half a dozen guys that change their oil with their car on a rotisserie. Now, instead of a 24 hour process, it will be a 48 hour process, with the additional 24 hours with the car upside down.

What, you dont do that already?
shocked2.gif
57.gif

Last edited:
Most members have an ample supply of oil and some of that stash may not be suitable for a normal OCI and may never be used. Why not drain and refill with that oil, drive around for a day or two and then do an oil change with your normal proper oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back