Battle of the Lame Tires - OEM rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the name brand high end stuff, or even budget brand high end stuff it's the low end rubbish tires that OEM will throw in to save money and bite you in the butt later. They have low ratings in tire surveys but they should be decent because tire brands make them (with poor adverse conditions ratings.)

Truck Lame Tires:
Dunlop Grantrek AT20 vs. Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II - common OEM rubbish they throw on trucks but if I were to buy a new truck and have to drive in adverse conditions I would put better meats on.

What other rubbish do you see on cars that come as OE?

Good/Year Integrity! Which used to come on several vehicles that I am familiar with! These came OE on my '01 RX-300 in my signature. Couldn't wait to get rid of them!

Continental ContiTouringContact! I don't think they're made anymore but, they too sucked! These came OE on my '04 Altima in my signature.

Both tires were fine for the first year then, their performance plummeted rapidly! They're all fine on a nice sunny in day JUNE. It's when the foul weather arrived is when they showed their true colors.

Goodyear Vectors...

Came on my 1988 Dakota, lasted less than 7,000 miles...

All four bald as an egg with cords showing when removed...
Rode rough, loud, and noisy to boot...

I'll second the Bridegestone Deuller H/T...they were rubbish...and $320/paw when they wore out in 25k miles, nearly leaving me stranded in pea gravel at the side of an in town road.

Bridgestone Turanza EL 470. Those sorry excuses for tires came OEM on our Fit. Loud, horrible in snow, and had zero performance. They sucked the life out of the car. Glad one of them bubbled a sidewall so we could ditch them.

Just so everyone understands, OE tires aren't inexpensive. They just perform differently than a consumer wants them to.

A consumer wants tires that wear well, and have a decent grip level. But an OEM wants fuel economy, so he specifies tires with low rolling resistance - and to get that, the tire manufacturers have to sacrifice treadwear and traction.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A, came stock on tons of GM, Toyota and lots of others. Handle like [censored] in snow and mediocre at best on dry pavement

The lame arse Continental Contact on my '13 Nissan Sentra! Horrible in any adverse conditions and with only 24k miles on them they are over 75% gone!

BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A

They came stock on my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road. These are some of the worst tires I've experienced. I paid several thousand dollars extra for the off-road package, assuming that these were going to be decent. They were horrible on every surface except pavement. Off-road and snow performance was especially deplorable.

At 22,000 miles, they were getting cracks in between the lugs and thankfully were warrantied by the manufacturer.

My 2012 Subaru Impreza came with Yokohama AVID S34D tires from the factory. They were garbage. I replaced them pretty quickly with some Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires which I drove for 60K+ miles and they still have 7-8/32" of tread.

Bridgestone Turanza EL400/EL42's were [censored] awful on my Camry.

Taurus came with wretched Continental TouringContact AS's, which were terrible.

Almost any Goodyear OEM. Eagle LS, Integrity, RS-A, Assurance Fuel Max's.

I think the worst OEM tires I had were a set of Bridgestone Turanza EL42s that came on our 2007 Chrysler Town & Country. In retrospect, however, they probably weren't as bad as I told myself they were. Another OEM tire I didn't like is the Michelin Cross Terrain in P225/65R17 (OEM on the Ford Escape). These were on our Honda CR-V when we bought it, and they seemed to be a pretty poor match to that car.

And just so this isn't a tidal wave of negative, I think the best OEM tire I've had is the Michelin Primacy MXV4 from the current Odyssey. I don't own an Odyssey, but I bought these tires for our MDX (it takes the same P235/65R17 size). Very quiet, comfortable, decent handling, and decent tread life so far.

General Grabbers on a 2003 Tahoe and Michelin Energy MXV4 on a 2006 Hyundai Azera. Both sets were **done** by 22,000 miles and were complete garbage in every regard.

I installed Pirelli's on the Tahoe (lasted about 55,000 miles) and a different Michelin on the Azera that had over half the tread remaining when I sold it earlier this year.

Some of the tire makers are lucky that all customers do not base their opinion of them based upon the garbage they supply as OEM on new vehicles. I expected junk from General, but Michelin is a different story and fortunately, I hung in there and have had outstanding service on my FX4 from Michelin MS/2 tires.

Dunlop SP5000M on my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Catastrophic understeer. I replaced them with a set of Toyo TR1s, which completely transformed the car's performance.

Last edited:
I think all Goodyear Integrity's were made with a shifted belt.

They wore unevenly even when the car was in alignment!

Ive encountered 3 vert lousy OEM tires. Yokohama Geolandar GO33 tires on a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander LS, terrible on snow and were bald at 12,500 miles. Should have known by the 160 treadware rating! The second worst OE tires were the Toyo Proxes on a 2006 Mazda 3 touring. Worn out at 18,000 miles! Continental 4x4 Contact tires on our Nissan Rogue, I will give them credit, they were great in the snow, but the trade off was they rode very stiff, were loud on the highway and lasted only 23,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back