Allison Spin On Transmission Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to change the Allison transmission filter on my Silverado and cut it open to see what was inside. Originally I was going to cut open a new one but ended up deciding that I didn't have the heart to destroy a new one of these. It's a good looking filter. I am guessing it was made by Champion Labs.

waj9u0.jpg

Here is the overview.

2n9f14i.jpg

Here is the side view.

2ypdzyd.jpg

Here is a picture of the top.

50i39w.jpg

Looking inside.

262br44.jpg

With the spring on top.

In the photos you will see some groves cut in the filtering media and a burn mark or two on the metal end caps. This was where my grinder went a little too deep. The can on this filter is very thick metal. I would guess about three times as thick as the can thickness of a high quality regular oil filter. Overall, this filter looks to be pretty high quality. (Not worth the $51 the Chevy dealer wants for it, but that's another story.)

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Filter looks fantastic. Clean too. Wish more transmissions had spin on cans like this :p

+1 for sure! This should be the standard.

Looks great. Thanx for sharing!

Using a high-quality spin-on such as this on GM's Allisons speaks well for the company. Many of us who don't have the GM diesels have followed this same overall idea by adding the in-line Magnefines to our automatics...but I'll be the first to admit, good as it may be, it's not as good an option as the GM spin-on that apparently comes on the Allison as standard equipment.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks like a quality filter, but $50 is too much for it.
Thyat's why you go directly to Allison or the internet and not a Stealership.

Could have used it for much longer.

Interesting side note ...
The spin-on filter is actually used in sort of a "bypass" mode, for a lack of a better term. It only filters the oil going to the valve body (a good idea IMO). The main filter element inside the tranny pan filters the main pump intake, and is only required to be changed if a teardown of the tranny occurs.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks like a quality filter, but $50 is too much for it.

Good afternoon, I've been reading here from time to time for the last few years but haven't had anything to contribute until now. I too have a Duramax/Allison combo and order the Allison filters from Madjack Diesel (the more you buy the cheaper they are). I've bought a lot of filters and other parts from Dane and he is a pleasure to deal with. He's even talked me out of buying parts from him because he thought it'd be a waste of money for me. I'm not affiliated with them in any way shape or fashion, I've just been extremely happy with their customer service, products, and speedy shipping.

[sales link removed - mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back