what do you gain running stoopidly thick oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FFeng7
What kind of OCI do the U-Haul truck receive?
supposed to be 5000 miles when I fixed them in 1998. The places that rent them out were supposed to change it if it was due,do various maintenance stuff etc. Nobody ever did,they were rented out as soon as they pulled into the gate. A hdeo was a great choice for these conditions IMO. In 1998 they were still using some early 70's trucks with 330 fe's in them!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: FFeng7
What kind of OCI do the U-Haul truck receive?
supposed to be 5000 miles when I fixed them in 1998. The places that rent them out were supposed to change it if it was due,do various maintenance stuff etc. Nobody ever did,they were rented out as soon as they pulled into the gate. A hdeo was a great choice for these conditions IMO. In 1998 they were still using some early 70's trucks with 330 fe's in them!

i was told it was 5000 also. now the trucks are programmed from mother ship saying its (time for oil change )

as far as concerning myself with his oil i wanted to know if i was missing something. i have a motorcycle that takes 60 wt and i know how thick that stuff is when its 24*f here in az...

and for the asked question. yes, hes a great southern cook!

i bought a suburban with a 454 marine engine in it. the the receipts from 2003 showed 30wt oil till it sat. it didnt burn any nor smoked. just wasnt sure if there was a benefit to running oil like this in a iron chevy motor... mainly cause i have 5 of them lol

My mid 80s air cooled BMW bike lists 20W- 50 from minus 10 F to 100 F, which isn't THAT warm to the Arizona guys. I usually run T6 5W 40 up here in the frozen north, however.

Last edited:
Bearing clearances and oil passage size are a factor in this . Also churning through thick oil equals heat.

50 wt would work fine....In Iraq! In my opinion he should go 15w50 synthetic if he wants a 50wt. With winter coming soon I wouldn't run ANYTHING over 10w40 full synthetic unless its a BMW M class which is spec'd 10w60.

S. America is the same as Oceania, everybody uses recommended oils for new cars. 15w40 is on the list and is the most used (semisyn). Startup averages goes from 30F to 110F, year round. No issues, all engines going far. Everybory warm the engines while moving.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
50 wt would work fine....In Iraq! In my opinion he should go 15w50 synthetic if he wants a 50wt. With winter coming soon I wouldn't run ANYTHING over 10w40 full synthetic unless its a BMW M class which is spec'd 10w60.

i just didnt know what the reason was since theres fleet oil like 15w40. funny thing was hes got several toys and such, for them he uses oem spec......................... he has a old nissian truck with a new motor in it, and he uses 5w30 like the cap says

A fool is right on!

that engine no where needs that thick of lube any 5w30 or 0w30 is what should be used.

I have a '99 GMC 3500 454 and it sees nothing but AFE 0w30 all year around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back