whats more comfy on the hwy - Sportster or Triumph

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you from experience that the Triumph twin in the cruisers is 270 degree counterbalanced and smooth as silk. I feel NO vibration in my bars with my Speedmaster. It also has an 8k RPM redline and revs more happily than the Evo in the Sporty. There is no comparison to the old 360 degree Triumph twins of yesteryear that would put your hands to sleep with vibes.

I came from having a V twin to the triumph and was considering an Iron 883 and a used Vrod when I went with the triumph.

The Triumph is a fine motorcycle. There is a Triumph dealer and a Harley dealer within 1 mile of each other about 20 minutes from me. I looked at both bikes and decided the Sportster suited me better and was what I wanted in a bike. I'm sure you decided on the Triumph for similar reasons.

Thats why they make all the different brands and bikes so we have a choice.

I say to the OP go ride both bikes and see which one checks all your boxes, buy it and never look back. We are all different on the internet and can't possibly tell you which one may be right for you. Only you can do that.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Where are all those "superbikes" from 30 years ago?

30 years ago (1984) there were no "Superbikes" designed for racing that all changed in 1988
with World Super Bike homologation rules... these Homologated racers are 4 strokes of
genius... In the span of 14 years 24 bikes emerged... we should bow in their presence
because just look to the current state of the art of the motorcycle... they might have never
reached such a high level of competency composer or harmony if where not for the fierce
battles fought by the best racers during the golden age of World Super Bike Wars...

Cycle World timed a 2013 Sportster Iron 883 at 14.53 @90.8 mph.

Here are some time slips for Sportsters> 883s are in the 2nd page.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Harley-Davidson--Sportster-Drag-Racing.html?resultpage=1

For people who under estimate Harley and their future.

R.L. Polk. a Marketing Research Company, performed an in-depth study:

Harley-Davidson is currently executing a multi-generational and multi-cultural marketing strategy in the U.S. The success of this strategy is measured by internally monitoring market shares within targeted customer segments of Core (Caucasian men 35+), young adults (men and women 18-34), women (Caucasian women 35+) and diverse men and women (African-American and Hispanic 35+).

Motorcycle registration results show Harley-Davidson is the segment leader in U.S. on-road motorcycle registrations, both in terms of heavyweight (651cc+) registrations and all displacement (all cc) registrations, across our targeted demographic customer definitions including:

New Motorcycle U.S. Market Share & Demographics
Harley-Davidson is the market leader among Young Adults (men and women 18-34) in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

U.S. Young Adult Customer facts:

•- Harley-Davidson sells more motorcycles to young adults 18-34 Harley- Davidson captured the all displacement (all cc) market leader position with the young adult 18-34 segment in 2008, and expanded this leadership position in both 2009 and 2010. All displacement motorcycles include on-road performance, touring, custom and standard motorcycles of all engine sizes. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

•Harley-Davidson is relevant to new generations
In 2010, Harley-Davidson sold more new motorcycles to today’s Millennial generation young adults in the U.S. than it did when the Baby Boomers generation (today’s “Core Customers”) was 18-34 (1988). Based on internal Company demographics and/or studies.

*Dark Custom™ Motorcycles resonate with young adults
Purchasers of new Harley-Davidson Dark Custom™ motorcycles contain a higher percentage of young adult men and women age 18-34 than any Harley-Davidson family of motorcycles. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

Harley-Davidson is the market leader among women (Caucasian women 35+) in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

African-Americans
Harley-Davidson is the market leader among African-American men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010.

Hispanics
Harley-Davidson is the market leader among Hispanic men and women 35+ in the U.S. on-road 651cc+ motorcycle market. Based on national R.L. Polk & Co. motorcycle registrations 2006 through 2010

I'll let my sig cast my vote.

I had a chance to test ride an America late last fall. For comfy cruising, not much short of an ElectraGlide would be better. The 270 degree crank gave it a really sweet sound too. It was good enough out of the box that I don't think you'd have to change much of anything for long touring. I can't say the same about the Sporty, though they can be modified to the hilt.

Overall, and especially when considering value for money, I'd go Triumph.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I think it is probably pretty safe to assume that someone considering these two bikes is not especially concerned about being the fastest thing on the road. Why are we even talking about 1/4 mile times or "embarrassing" some friend on an unknown Harley with unspecified modifications in a 2ton barge, or what the police in Germany do. Who cares.

The real problem with answering the question is that "883 Sportster" isn't very descriptive. It could be a Super Low, Iron, Custom, or Roadster just off the top of my head. It might have buckhorns, or drag bars, a solo seat or a two up seat... big tires, skinny tires or kind of sporty tires. It might have a 4.5 gallon tank a 3.3 gallon tank or a 2.2 gallon tank... depending on how old it is it might even be a rigid mount EVO vs a rubber mount EVO. And that is just if it is stock. Will make significant differences in the answer. The Sportster line is pretty diverse, currently the MoCo makes very touring oriented Sportsters (1200T) and very not touring oriented Sportsters (48, 72) and some stuff in between. People build sportsters in to almost anything from Cafe Racers to Scramblers...

As long as it is a rubber mount, I would be surprised it a parallel twin Triumph vibrated less, it might vibrate different, but I would be surprised if it was less. I mean I probably wouldn't choose either one for a 6 hour dose of super-slab, but for a couple times a year I'd live and either is probably a fine commuter.

Triumph (did at one time at least) have a pretty good selection of accessories and clothing. Not to the extent of HD, but they had windshields, bags, exhaust, jackets, suits and t-shirts...

Exactly

I've owned two late model Triumph Speedmasters. It's like an America with a few extras.
Have also owned several Sportsters.

The biggest consideration is how the bike fits the rider, and how comfortable is the seat and seating position.

Get what you want.

I had a Sportster 1200S. I added highway pegs, and it was comfortable on the highway, and fun on the back roads. I'm not a power junky. I prefer to ride slow bikes fast instead of fast bikes slow. It had enough power to get me into trouble.

Originally Posted By: whip
I had a Sportster 1200S. I added highway pegs, and it was comfortable on the highway, and fun on the back roads. I'm not a power junky. I prefer to ride slow bikes fast instead of fast bikes slow. It had enough power to get me into trouble.

What year 1200s did you have ? They have quite the following , did yours have the duel plug heads ? I had a chance to buy one this summer ,but let it go . The 2000 to 2003 are the ones that are being bought up.
Its a shame that every one wants to waste a nite at a bike nite . Give me a country rd along a river any day !

Jake

Not every bike night is a waste. I personally have to ride anywhere from 30 to 100 miles round trip for the ones I go to. Get in a nice ride and meet some nice people.

Originally Posted By: buckeyejake

What year 1200s did you have ? They have quite the following , did yours have the duel plug heads ? I had a chance to buy one this summer ,but let it go . The 2000 to 2003 are the ones that are being bought up.
Its a shame that every one wants to waste a nite at a bike nite . Give me a country rd along a river any day !

Jake

I had a 99, the last year of the single plug head I believe. It was a great bike.

Originally Posted By: buckeyejake

Jake

I had a 99, the last year of the single plug head I believe. It was a great bike.

My friend has a 99 with about 50000 on it. We rode around lake Michigan last summer , him on it , me on my 02. It was a fun ride , about 400 a day . Brad has rode many brands ,but he is sportster guy now . It was fun showing him how to do a pm on his 1200 custom . We now planing a spring run to New Orleans , taking the Natchez trace down and a Iron butt on the way back . The only problem with the frame mounted evos is that 3.2 gal tank . A hundred fifty miles is about it . On the Natchez trace gas is limited and we will have to plan the stops.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back