Windy door - Expanding Rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Camry, driver side door has a fairly loud 'wind' sound. Top of the door, it is not the window. I tried the radio up/ignore. I was thinking about some of that door/window rubber/foam...maybe a small strip of it?

Any ideas?

Is the door bent up top,thus not creating a positive seal.
Someone tried to break into my truck a few years ago and bent the window frame slightly. I didn't notice the attempted break in but I immediately noticed the wind. I re-curved the doorframe and no more wind screech.

Probably door frame is bent slightly from years of use. Not uncommon on older Asian cars. Put your knee on a door lining from inside and try pulling window frame towards you self while door are opend. First put window fully down, and do it gently.

Good idea...yeah kids probably hanging on it or something. With those years, could be it.

Originally Posted By: coopns
02 Camry, driver side door has a fairly loud 'wind' sound. Top of the door, it is not the window. I tried the radio up/ignore. I was thinking about some of that door/window rubber/foam...maybe a small strip of it?

Any ideas?

You can replace the rubber as it ages over time. If you have a solid base to stick to you can use self adhesive stripping(I did in my 07 MDX with prior body damage and it is quieter on that door then the "good doors"). The tiniest leak can make a lot of noise.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Probably door frame is bent slightly from years of use. Not uncommon on older Asian cars. Put your knee on a door lining from inside and try pulling window frame towards you self while door are opend. First put window fully down, and do it gently.

Yeah this.

On my cutlass ciera I put some of that sticky foam tape on the door frame too where it would otherwise have been metal-gap-metal. Another layer of security. Be careful you don't set up for ice freezeups if you monkey with this sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Someone tried to break into my truck a few years ago and bent the window frame slightly. I didn't notice the attempted break in but I immediately noticed the wind. I re-curved the doorframe and no more wind screech.

+1

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Also agree!

I'd also check and wipe down all the mating parts. If you got it, I'd wipe down the rubber seals with a tiny bit of silicone grease/paste.

With the window down, look up into the window seal itself. Technically called the "glass run." Some Toyota's have a tendency to break/develop a hole in the upper rear corner. Common on Corollas and happens to Camrys/ES300/330 of this generation. It can sound like it's coming from the top back corner of the door seal, but it's actually the seal on the glass side.

It may not be your issue, but check that.,too.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-an...gasket-diy.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back