considering new Subaru ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I would not buy a Subaru until the oil consumption problem is resolved once and for all. And I don't see that happening, my opinion is it is a base design flaw in the FB engine series (2011+). And I own and like a Subaru, albeit an '09 with the EJ engine which so far has been bullet proof and for only 5hp less than the FB.

From what most '15 owners have reported, it looks like Subaru has the oil consumption issue under control. To suggest not to buy a Subaru because of oil consumption, is like saying to not buy a Honda, because the Odyssey had a bad tranny. Oil consumption has only been an issue for the FB 2.5 engine. And even then, very few have issues.

My parents have 6000 miles on a 2015 Oubtack base version they love. It does not burn a drop of oil in the normal oil change intervals.

My dad purchased it for a bit over $23k playing our 3 local dealers against each other and even had to order it for color/base version.

With regards to "problems" I think a percentage of them are effected (
My wife/I got a doozy($3K) on our 2005 LGT though that is common of a burned valve at 175k but is specific to the turbo only Legacy and Outback.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
don't buy a Honda, because the Odyssey had a bad tranny. Oil consumption has only been an issue for the FB 2.5 engine. And even then, very few have issues.

... There are a lot of people on here do that ...

Originally Posted By: rjundi
.. I will state a Outback is simply a nicer vehicle and always has been vs Forester.

Agreed, but it should be a nicer vehicle. They're more money.

Having had a 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT and now the 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, if I do it again some day, it will probably be an Outback.

A lesser optioned XV is not bad price-wise and aside from the 5spd manual, they are nice to drive, versatile and fairly fuel efficient. The ride is stiff and jarring though, because of the taller struts and different suspension geometry compared to the impreza. An Impreza hatchback is a super deal if you can stand the lack of ground clearance. There's owners that get in the high 30mpg range with 2012+ Impreza CVTs.

One thing you'll notice with subarus compared to other similar vehicles is, visibility from the driver's seat always tends to be top notch with subarus. Basically no blind-spots.

Originally Posted By: JTK
.. I will state a Outback is simply a nicer vehicle and always has been vs Forester.

Agreed, but it should be a nicer vehicle. They're more money.

Having had a 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT and now the 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, if I do it again some day, it will probably be an Outback.

More money yes but I am assuming the transition of changing out a 2 year old vehicle cost more then the price difference between the two in depreciation. Its pretty pricey to change vehicles out often when I have tried. I am always stuck with vehicles 7-10 years!

More money yes but I am assuming the transition of changing out a 2 year old vehicle cost more then the price difference between the two in depreciation...

My transition?

Not really sure how that applies here, but my 2012 Legacy was leased (foolish on my part). I turned it in 8mo early with high mileage and used snow tires on it. No penalty, just didn't have to pay the remaining payments. Purchased the XV outright. I could have special ordered a base model Outback for about what I paid for the XV. It's real tough to wheel/deal on a Subaru in my area due to their popularity.

Last edited:

More money yes but I am assuming the transition of changing out a 2 year old vehicle cost more then the price difference between the two in depreciation...

My transition?

Not really sure how that applies here, but my 2012 Legacy was leased (fooolish on my part). I turned it in 8mo early with high mileage and used snow tires on it. No penalty, just didn't have to pay the remaining payments. Purchased the XV outright. I could have special ordered a base model Outback for about what I paid for the XV. It's real tough to wheel/deal on a Subaru in my area due to their popularity.

Lease was a mistake due to what, the # of miles you were.limited to or some other factor?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Lease was a mistake due to what, the # of miles you were.limited to or some other factor?

I don't want to side-track this thread with a typical flame war on leasing, but it turned into a poor fit for me. Originally I wanted out of a vehicle I was in and was enticed by the reasonable lease terms of the Subaru back in 2011. It was a 36mo/45Kmi lease and I was at 42K miles with 8 months to go.

I would have potentially been slightly ahead had I just bought/financed the 2012 Legacy, traded it in, and had some trade-in equity for the new one.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I don't want to side-track this thread with a typical flame war on leasing, but it turned into a poor fit for me. Originally I wanted out of a vehicle I was in and was enticed by the reasonable lease terms of the Subaru back in 2011. It was a 36mo/45Kmi lease and I was at 42K miles with 8 months to go.

I would have potentially been slightly ahead had I just bought/financed the 2012 Legacy, traded it in, and had some trade-in equity for the new one.

Thanks...just wondering since having a lower payment in school sounded like a smart move in the short term.

I will decide after Christmas.

I believe the Magnuson-Moss act would apply to these lifetime warranties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Originally Posted By: Donald
"I" will decide after Christmas.

Being that you are still on your honeymoon, we will cut you some slack regarding your use of "I" on this important decision. Didn't you already have to give up garage space for the Bobcat post marriage?? LOL

Best wishes on your decision and purchase.

If the Crosstrek were available with a slightly more powerful engine than that anemic 2 liter power plant, I'd seriously consider it. If I were living in the boonies, the lack of oomph wouldn't deter me, but with considerable city and freeway driving I want more "go" than available in the XV. Ground clearance and approach and departure angles are all good. Besides the weak engine, the interior, which is plasticky and unattractive, is a somewhat weak point.

hotwheels

My family has four Subarus and they all have the FB-series engines(2012 Impreza, 2012 Legacy, 2014 Outback, and 2015 Outback). Even with two of them on 12K OCIs, none of them consume any oil.

The 2.0L from Subaru is disappointing. It offers little MPG over the 2.5L. I guess for packaging reasons needed in the BRZ.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am considering a net new Subaru to my small fleet. I am down to Outback, Forester or Crosstrek. Maybe hybrid CrossTrek. I can get very low new car financing on 2014 or 2015 vehicles and lifetime power train warranty. Need a 4WD drive car for my wife when she needs one and for a family car. All three are check rated at Consumer Reports.

I owned a Subaru back in the 1980s when the spare was in the engine compartment and it was front wheel drive.

I have watched "Talking Cars With Consumer Reports" and Subaru's score high on their list. Keep in mind though, that there are some Sub's that feel toned down in their redesign. Keep searching, to insure that you get the "Right" Subaru!

Coincidentally, the only Sub I ever owned was a used '83 GL-10 w/1.8 2bbl & 5spd. It was an OK car(4dr.sdn.) and we put took it up to ~ 300k miles. I don't really mention this car much when referencing old cars that I owned. But, it was certainly reliable and boringly slow especially when climbing hills with only, mmmmmmm, fair MPG. I hated the plaid Scotch colored seats fabric.

Not as slow as our friends Loyale. Wow, this thing was frikken slooooooow!

Last edited:
The 2.0L from Subaru is disappointing. It offers little MPG over the 2.5L. I guess for packaging reasons needed in the BRZ.

The BRZ has a different engine, with much more power. It's the non-turbo version of the engine in the WRX and Forester XT.

Our 2.5i Forester CVT spends most of its time at 1500rpm or below in the city and 2000rpm or below on the highway, which probably explains why it's not much less economical than the 2.0. It's the aerodynamics that really hurt, not the engine size.

Originally Posted By: emg

The BRZ has a different engine, with much more power. It's the non-turbo version of the engine in the WRX and Forester XT.

The BRZ may have "more power..." but fast it is not... ok if you keep the revs way up...but not fast.

And after I drove a 2012 Impreza 5 door with the 2.0 l engine, I would describe it as noticeably under-powered... I drove a 2011 with the 2.5 l ... and it had way more power, and a very BIG! end of model year discount... and didn't look like a Dodge Caliber... so I bought it...!

I like the Crosstrek ... but with the 2.0 l engine, I don 't see how it can be anything but slow...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geeman789
The BRZ may have "more power..." but fast it is not... ok if you keep the revs way up...but not fast.

My point was that the BRZ engine and Impreza engine are very different, so the BRZ had no impact on the design of the Impreza. The engine was specifically designed for the BRZ, then reused in turbo form in the WRX and Forester XT.

However, a quick web search shows the BRZ apparently goes 0-60 in six seconds, which would have been 'supercar' territory when I was a kid. From what I understand, it's aimed more at the European sports car market, for cars that are fast around corners, rather than straight lines. The last sports car I owned only had 85 horsepower, but I rarely found anyone who could keep up with me on a twisty road, because going fast around corners was all it was ever designed to do.

As for the Impreza, the 2.0 seemed OK to me for a compact car, except that it took a while to get the revs up when you floored the gas from a standing start. I didn't try using the paddle shifters for an acceleration run, but that might have helped.

Originally Posted By: emg

As for the Impreza, the 2.0 seemed OK to me for a compact car, except that it took a while to get the revs up when you floored the gas from a standing start. I didn't try using the paddle shifters for an acceleration run, but that might have helped.

You should try an FB20 w/ 5spd manual. You're so frustrated by 3rd gear, you want to jump out. LOL.. it's not that bad. Comparing different vehicles, but my 2012 Legacy EJ25 w/ CVT was no power house either. I never expected it to be.

... and the above comment about Imprezas having plasticy interiors? Ummm. It is an AWD vehicle for $18K. Huge shock there.

My Crosstrek gets most of it's use on my 80mi work commute. Plenty powerful at ~70mph, plus the gearing is low enough, you rarely have to throw it back in 4th. The rest of the time, I'm shuttling my kids. The 5spd BLOWS for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back