Motor Trend Car of the Year(2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been waiting for an AWD TDI wagon for a long time. I was too, but have decided I'd probably be better off with FWD. Less mpg penalty, and it's only a few times per year that I've needed AWD.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
...VW needs to bring in the Polo model to the US.

I just bought a new "Cross Polo" on the weekend. As far as I know it's a version found only in some markets, being raised about 15mm, having more rugged seat materials and better optioned than the standard model. 1.2 L turbo 4-cyl, 109 HP with 7-speed DSG. It also has 17s and 40-profile tires - a bit noisy.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

I just bought a new "Cross Polo" on the weekend. As far as I know it's a version found only in some markets, being raised about 15mm, having more rugged seat materials and better optioned than the standard model. 1.2 L turbo 4-cyl, 109 HP with 7-speed DSG. It also has 17s and 40-profile tires - a bit noisy.

So it's jacked up but has big rims and skinny tires?? Hmm... do you mind posting a pic?

How messy are the filter changes on the 1.8, not a factor affecting purchase but curious. What oil is in it from factory and would like to know recommendations.

Originally Posted By: twouvakind
How messy are the filter changes on the 1.8, not a factor affecting purchase but curious.

Shouldn't be messy at all as it appears to be a top mounted cartridge filter.

This DIY covers the installation of an aftermarket oil filter cap, but it should give you a basic idea of where the filter is and how it is replaced...

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01b...on_Tutorial.pdf

Quote:
What oil is in it from factory and would like to know recommendations.

Hard to tell for sure what the factory fill is. But if you're asking what to use, the owner's manual likely requires an oil meeting VW 502.00 or 504.00 spec. They are readily available at Walmart and other places... M1 0w40, Castrol Edge 0w-40, etc.

Some more info about the engine:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/muupublic/share/18TFSI.pdf

FYI, not all features may apply to this engine on the US market. For example, I've read that the US versions don't get the secondary fuel injection which could have helped with valve deposits.
frown.gif

Thanks for that, I've seen kits and video accessing the filter through the wheel well.

Here's the same model and colour at a dealer. Mine only has a few hundred kms on it so far, haven't taken any photos yet. The center dash digital display can be set to show oil temperature as an alternative to speed or economy and (so far) it runs tightly between 98 and 103 C.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volkswagen/auction-821042433.htm
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

So it's jacked up but has big rims and skinny tires?? Hmm... do you mind posting a pic?

I like my 2.5L Golf 2-dr. Doesn't seem to have issues associated w/ the turbo models.Haven't seen the new model up close and personal but if it's like my MK6 version, lot of car for the $. VW needs to bring in the Polo model to the US.

Exactly the Polo is the size and price match that would get more entry level buyers into their vehicles. The Polo GTI is what the
MKII Golf GTI was. The new Golf is a pretty big car.

I'm going to be in the market for a new car mid year next year and I am interested in the Golf, but I would prefer a Polo sized car.
VWoA needs to snap out of their stupidity with refusing to bring a full vehicle line up to the USA.

They currently build the Polo in Brazil, so I see no reason why they can't bring it here at a competitive price with the
waaaay overrated Honda Fit. VW claims that want to be a major player in the US market, well until they start offering a full line up of models they will always be a runner up.

Also about the newest Golf...unlike the Jetta they have NOT skimped on the interior, even in the base model versions all the trim and pieces are top quality and look at least one class nicer than the competition in the same class.

As for plant history the Golf has been built at the Puebla MX plant over the years for the US market, 90-92, 94-99.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
They currently build the Polo in Brazil, so I see no reason why they can't bring it here at a competitive price

A base Polo starts at around $18K in Brazil, so it probably won't be any cheaper after it gets imported here. Not too many people in the US will be willing to pay this much when they can get a Golf for the same amount.

This is also the reason why VW hasn't introduced its small trucks here in the US. They just couldn't sell them at the price they'd have to charge for them.

Quote:
As for plant history the Golf has been built at the Puebla MX plant over the years for the US market, 90-92, 94-99.

Was it reliable?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

... the Polo is the size and price match that would get more entry level buyers into their vehicles. The Polo GTI is what the MKII Golf GTI was. The new Golf is a pretty big car.

They currently built the Polo in Brazil...

Also about the newest Golf...unlike the Jetta they have NOT skimped on the interior, even in the base model versions all the trim and pieces are top quality and look at least one class nicer than the competition in the same class.

Yes, the Golf is getting big. I test drove a base model 6-speed manual 1.4 TSI a few days ago and did not like the mushy suspension. The shifter linkage quality was nothing special either.
I bought the Polo with DSG in the end and my example is made in South Africa according to the VIN.
Our Golfs have had 1.4 turbo engines since the MK6 model (we never had the 2.5) and they have always been marketed as premium cars in that size class with significantly better-quality interiors than the competition. VW have recently brought back the manual gearbox in the Golf this year to get the entry price down a bit.

Also drove the latest Mini with the 1.6 three cylinder (134 hp) and 6-speed conventional auto. A little rocketship with DSG-like fast shifting. Too pricy for my wallet though.

My Fire Red GTI(99)was hecho en México, 11 million cars manufactured there-I think they got this(new assembly line)

I really likes the Titan black cloth in the Golf I test drove, the S with sunroof comes with leatherette(not a big fan of anything leather or leatherette in a car interior)

I think the 1.8T engine is great. If the 2.0T in the MK7 GTI wasn't so underrated from the factory and didn't make so much more power with a $600 ECU tune, I would get the 1.8T. Very little turbo lag from what I've read, max torque really down low. Too bad no DSG though. Should be reliable but who knows. If you want a vehicle with great driving dynamics, great quality interiors, and don't mind the occasional quirk that usually won't leave you stranded get a VW. If some little problems bother you, don't get one. Get a Japanese car. The maintenance that everyone always says is SO much money is so overblown. The filter and the oil are a little bit more than a comparable car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back