JUST BOUGHT A 2015 FORD ESCAPE S AND LOVE IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lugnut 4506 here. I am new to these forums. I just bought a Ford Escape S with 2.5 with FWD. I love it to pieces. I mostly drive all highway. But I do put a lot of miles as required driving to and from work. I was told by dealership that the first oil change comes at 7,000 miles. So I got to scratching my head. I always thought that the oil in new vehicles was a special type of break in oil. Is this the case? And therefore wait 7,000? 2. Dealership states you must use a Synthetic blend. Can conventional motor oil be used instead? I am a Pennzoil fan. While using Motorcraft filter. Would using Fram be a mistake? Hamper performance of engine? What type of 5w20 motor oil would you recommend? I thank you for your time and consideration.
Lugnut 4506

Congrats on the new purchase
For the $$, Motorcraft Semi Syn and a MC filter for $25, you really can't go wrong.

If you can't stand the orange turn lenses on the front on S trim levels (as I do), it's a cheap and easy swap for the clear lenses and yellow bulbs. Makes the base model not look so base.

If yours didn't come with alloys, keep an eye on CL and car-part.com for a clean set.

Do enjoy the new ride, best of luck with it.

Come summer, if you have an A/C performance problem, its well known, and a 5 minute fix.

congrats man. That's the new vehicle for the wife I want next. Trade the versa in maybe next year. my plan is to dump factory fill at 2000km then replace it with syn. Most likely pp. And I'm a big fram fan so I would use the fram that corresponds with the mileage I'm doing per oci. Would be sure to not go over the manuals oil change interval.

Pennzoil and MC filter is a good combo; just use Penzoil synthetic.

As far as going 7500 on the FF, probably be just fine and no worries. I am a fan of early oil chabge the first time though, and would change it around 1000 miles.

You know you got a problem when you buy a new car a the first thing you think about is what oil and filter your going to use for the oil change

Congratulations! Looked at those cars and I see this year the 2.5L engine is in an "SE" model as well. I'd take this engine over any the 1.6/2L turbo engine options. I wish Ford would offer a 4-wheel drive option w/the 2.5L. If the car was mine, I'd dump the factory fill no later than 3K mi. Then fill w/Motorcraft blend 5w-20 and a MC 910S filter. (I believe that's the correct filter?) After the 3rd oil/filter (no longer than 5K mi per oil change interval) then if you're a fan of Pennzoil, full synthetic w/perhaps a Fram Ultra filter and a 7.5K OCI. Just my opinion. Many safe and enjoyable miles! Bill.

Originally Posted By: Lugnut4506
Hi Lugnut 4506 here. I am new to these forums. I just bought a Ford Escape S with 2.5 with FWD. I love it to pieces.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG, and congrats on the new car!

I always thought that the oil in new vehicles was a special type of break in oil. Is this the case?

Not necessarily.

2. Dealership states you must use a Synthetic blend. Can conventional motor oil be used instead?

No! Always go up the food chain, not down. If it has to be a synthetic blend, then look for a synthetic blend or a full synthetic.

Would using Fram be a mistake?

Probably not, IF it's the right spec.

Hamper performance of engine?

Not unless it's faulty or the wrong spec (and maybe not even then, honestly...).

What type of 5w20 motor oil would you recommend?

Your owner's manual will indicate specs that the oil has to meet -- one of them is probably API SN. Whatever those specs are, anything that meets them should be fine. I'm sure you'll find something in Pennzoil's lineup.

we just bought a 2014 SE 2.0 turbo awd 2 months ago and love it. Dumped the first oil at 1500 miles and in went Pennzoil platnum and a fram ultra filter. The 2.0 is a rocket. We never even considered the 1.6 or the 2.5 as we drove all 3 and there was really no comparison. Here is ours

2. Dealership states you must use a Synthetic blend. Can conventional motor oil be used instead?

Probably. See more below.

Your dealer most likely does not have all the details of engine oil requirements for ALL of Ford's offerings committed to memory. In other words, I wouldn't accept their statement that a "synthetic blend" has to be used without first verifying that in the owner's manual. Your owner's manual will list all of the engine oil requirements, which are most likely very basic. It probably recommends a 5W-20 meeting API SN. Nearly any oil you can buy on the shelf meets that.

Your dealer is probably pushing Motorcraft oil, and in 5W-20, Motorcraft is marketed as a synthetic blend. Hence, their suggestion that you "have to" use an oil marketed as a synthetic blend. Follow the requirements outlined in the owner's manual, and your engine should live a very long and happy life.

For basic 5W-20, I feel that regular ol' Pennzoil 5W-20 is a very good product, and you're not likely to reap a ton of benefit from anything else. Pennzoil 5W-20 is my regular "go to" oil...problem is, I keep finding others on clearance and I can't resist a deal. But for 18 bucks or whatever it is for a jug at Walmart, PYB as we call it here (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) is a great product.

My parents bought a 2013 Escape after a very bad experience with a 2008 Jeep. They love it! It's a great little vehicle and it returns great gas mileage, too. Only real issue, it seems, is the rear discs get chewed up from rust.

There are numerous conventional motor oils that meet ford's specification in 5w-20. Two good, cheap, conventional oils that meet Ford's spec are Pennzoil (yellow bottle) and Mobil Super 5000.

Since you are a Pennzoil fan, and the Pennzoil conventional meets Ford's spec ... I think you have a match!

We're shopping and the Escape was on our list. But, as we take the "sport" in sport utility seriously, it fell off the list. Why? Well, we want a sunroof and occasionally carry bikes or a canoe on the roof.

The Escape's roof rack load limit with a sunroof? 45 pounds. And this is based on roof strength, not center of gravity concerns. So, no canoe, no kayak, maybe one bike and really no luggage. Most competing models allow 200-250 pounds.

Back to your original questions. I doubt that any mass market manufacturer really uses a special break-in oil. But molybdenum-rich assembly lubes are used which enriches the factory oil fill, so it may be worth keeping in for a few thousand miles.

The 7,000 miles the dealer suggested is an arbitrary figure. The manual suggests going by the oil life monitor, which is sound advice. If this worries you, just change the oil at 30 or 40% oil life remaining and you'll be very safe.

The manual will say you can use any 5w-20 oil that meets Ford spec WSS-M2C-945A. This spec is met by virtually any SN-rated oil, including conventionals. The 2.5 engine should be very easy on oil (unlike its DI, EcoBoost cousins), so I wouldn't stress over oil selection too much.

Motorcraft filters are widely available, inexpensive and well-regarded. Ford touts a few differences between their filters and others and, if you bring a car in with start-up engine noises, a non-Motorcraft filter will the dealer's default diagnosis.

Congratulations. We bought a 2014 S and love it. Just like we loved our 2002 SE Focus Wagon. Changed the oil to PP just under 4K miles and used the motorcraft filter. Over 9k miles now and still a joy.

In Australia, the Escape is known as the Kuga, and we only get 2 engine choices, a 1.6 turbo petrol and a 2.0 turbo diesel. I haven't driven either, but the motoring writers reckon to forget the 1.6 and go for the diesel. It'd be nice if we got the 2.5 petrol, to bring Kuga in line with CX5, Rav4, etc. They are a great looking car!

I took a look at the manual and this what I learned:

Hi Lugnut 4506 here. I am new to these forums. I just bought a Ford Escape S with 2.5 with FWD. I love it to pieces. I mostly drive all highway. But I do put a lot of miles as required driving to and from work. I was told by dealership that the first oil change comes at 7,000 miles. So I got to scratching my head. I always thought that the oil in new vehicles was a special type of break in oil. Is this the case?
And therefore wait 7,000?

Not always, I have heard Honda does, but haven't heard that Ford does. I don't believe you have problem waiting till 7,000 miles. My opinion.

Yes. You just need to get Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec. oil and most 5w20 oils have that spec. Motorcraft's cheapest oil is a synthetic blend, and of course that is what your owners manual first suggests. That is what your dealership is probably going off of, and they are wrong.
I am a Pennzoil fan. While using Motorcraft filter. Would using Fram be a mistake? Hamper performance of engine?

Pennzoil fan, you are in luck, even the PYB meets the Ford specs. Oil Filter, make sure it meets SAE/USCAR-36 performance spec., any brand would be fine otherwise.

You mentioning you like Pennzoil. I know thats a good oil. Since you have a non-turbo engine, I don't see no problem using the Pennzoil Conventional .

Last edited:
Thank you for all your thoughts. Well received. Will be Pennzoil 5w20 Conventional with MotorCraft filter. Take care everyone. Merry Christmas

Hi Lugnut4506! Initial fill oils today are not just break-in oils, they are fully formulated, high quality finished motor oils. In fact, Pennzoil Full Synthetic motor oils are currently the chosen initial fill oil for cars such as BMW, Ferrari, Maserati, the Chrysler Brands (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram) and more.

As far as your vehicle’s specific oil recommendation, for 2012 to 2014 Ford Escapes (2.5 engine size), we see that a 5W-20 motor oil meeting the Ford WSS-M2C945 spec is wanted. That being said, Pennzoil offers a full synthetic, a semi-synthetic, and a conventional 5W-20 motor oil – all of which meet the WSS-M2C945 Ford specification. Since your dealer has recommended a semi-synthetic 5W-20 motor oil be used in your vehicle, we recommend Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-20 motor oil.

Hope some of this info helps LugNut4506! - The Pennzoil Team

It is very hard to find Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend 5w20 around here. I will not use Motorcraft. Why personal preference. Dealership in service department stated Ford highly recommends synthetic blend. So since I can't find my Pennzoil Gold here in Akron Ohio area. I am considering Castrol Synthetic blend. Any thoughts on this one??? With Motorcraft 910s filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back