Mercedes 300SL Gullwing found abandoned in Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Gullwing wouldn't have been a very cheap car even in the late Fifties. Not stratospheric prices like today, no, but probably not cheap.

And a Hispano-Suiza? Wow. Both cars remind you that Cuba under Batista was the playground of the rich and famous from the U.S. and Europe.

Personally I'd take that two-tone '55 Chevy convertible.

I wouldn't say it's "abandoned" in that someone owns it, cherishes it, and likely stares at it daily.
wink.gif

They're gonna fix it up when things get better, or keep it as a memento to better times.

I worked in Iraq in the late 70's and there were 50's era Chevys everywhere especially Suburbans. They hacked off the back part of the body of these Suburbans and made them into transit buses.

Their are is at least one more in Cuba the owners know what they are and won't get rid of them cheaply.

Most of the cars you see on the roads are either very nicely restored or just shells with Honda dash boards and various types of motors under the hoods.

The days are long over where you can smuggle out a gem and make a good buck.

Their are a number of very modern high end cars which are all government owned/related. Audi A6's are popular as is the ubiquitous black Chevy Suburban.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back