Techron right before oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been reading up on Techron. As I read I see where people add it right before a oil change. the bottle says nothing about doing this. What is the reasoning for this? I always just dump it in a nearly empty tank refill and drive.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
People are worried that the contents make their way into the oil. If you do it right before the oil change you don't let it circulate as long.

Makes sense I guess. Just never did it. I bought a bottle so will wait till closer to OC.

chances are 99.798% will be burned up in the combustion chamber and not do anything at all to the oil. That said I still don't add Techron until I'm close to an oil change
smile.gif

Makes no sense to me at all. Redline is also a PEA based product and they say its fine to use it every tank in a smaller amount.
I just dump a bottle in when it needs it without worrying about the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Makes no sense to me at all. Redline is also a PEA based product and they say its fine to use it every tank in a smaller amount.

I agree. So, what about those of us that fill up regularly with Chevron with Techron?

I agree that it doesn't matter when it is used, but I still do it once every other year 1 tank before smog test.

The timing is I added 1 bottle then do oil change after that tank was refill then do smog test. It may not do anything different to the oil and-or smog test, but I had been doing that way many years without problem with smog test and it is my habit now.

Thanks all, I was thinking Chevron would say something about using it before a change.
I have no Chevron stations here in KC.
frown.gif

There are those that can make up a rule for anything. Maybe you should have your car pointed directly at true north before attempting to pour Techron into the gas tank.

Seriously, if there's no mention on the bottle of having to change your oil because you use this product I'd use it just before filling the tank so it mixes well. If enough of this product got past the piston rings into your oil to make a difference maybe you have problems that need to be addressed like overhauling your engine.

By the way, this is a very good product and Costco usually has it at a very good price.

I choose to use it right before an oil change. I do know that I had lead and tin in my last UOA when using Techron. I used it a COUPLE tanks of gas before my OCI last time, vs the usual tank before my OCI. So with my short tripping and fuel dilution that I did have for the first time, its possible that the Techron in the fuel made it down into the oil and cause some higher bearing wear. I am not going to use any this next OCI and see where the wear is at for comparison. I know that is hardly scientific, all I know is that this past OCI there was slight fuel dilution with Techron in the tank and wear that has never showed up before, showed up. Crucify me if you want.

I believe the only OCI-related restrictions Chevron places on Techron Concentrate usage is to not use it more than three times in the course of an OCI. I remember reading that on official Chevron literature but do not have a link to it at this time.

Edit: Looks like the recommendation from Chevron is to use it no more than five times in a single OCI. I found the following on a BMW forum as an email response from Chevron:
Originally Posted By: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492475
Thank you for the inquiry. There is no need to change your vehicles oil after using the Techron Concentrate Plus (TCP). However, Chevron does recommend that you use no more than 5 treatments of the TCP per oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Thanks all, I was thinking Chevron would say something about using it before a change.
I have no Chevron stations here in KC.
frown.gif

What about Texaco? Chevron bought out Texaco many years ago. Now, both stations serve up the same gas.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Exactly. If the stuff could in any way cause a wear issue when exposed to crankcase oil there would be a disclaimer.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I choose to use it right before an oil change. I do know that I had lead and tin in my last UOA when using Techron. I used it a COUPLE tanks of gas before my OCI last time, vs the usual tank before my OCI. So with my short tripping and fuel dilution that I did have for the first time, its possible that the Techron in the fuel made it down into the oil and cause some higher bearing wear. I am not going to use any this next OCI and see where the wear is at for comparison. I know that is hardly scientific, all I know is that this past OCI there was slight fuel dilution with Techron in the tank and wear that has never showed up before, showed up. Crucify me if you want.

I'm lost.

How does using a fuel injector cleaner equate to bearing wear.
By our right about that theory having no basis in science,or engineering,or even sense whatsoever.
I'm not even going to bother going into why,you've got some "interesting" ideas about some things and you've shown that you aren't interested in modifying those views therefore I'll save my fingertips the trouble in trying to teach you something.
Where's the Jean luc Picard face palm pic?

So I have been reading up on Techron. As I read I see where people add it right before a oil change. the bottle says nothing about doing this. What is the reasoning for this? I always just dump it in a nearly empty tank refill and drive.

Step 1: Follow the directions.

Step 2: Drive and don't worry about it.

OR:

Step 1: Use Top Tier fuel every time.

Step 2: Drive and don't worry about it.

Chevron did a study on the usage of techron. In the paper (been posted on this site many times) they found that the oil thickened after using Techron in the gas. Due to this, they advised to run it just before an oil change.

They made no statements of risk or damage done if you don't follow those recommendations.

Last edited:
Using a good cleaner before an oil change may at the very least increase insols if some of what is cleaned isn't expelled out of the exhaust and leaves some insols in the oil; which could in theory lead to a particle streak or two at worst? At the very least a higher tic on the insols in a UOA?
21.gif

That's my opinion after reading and a few oil samples that I ran cleaners in them.

In fact, if I use a fuel cleaner early on the oil seems to get darker much more quickly. So, IMO, my OCD tells me to use it just before an oil change then after that tank change my oil.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree that it doesn't matter when it is used, but I still do it once every other year 1 tank before smog test.

The timing is I added 1 bottle then do oil change after that tank was refill then do smog test. It may not do anything different to the oil and-or smog test, but I had been doing that way many years without problem with smog test and it is my habit now.

This looks like a good routine. Clean injectors and fresh oil right before a smog test. Both actions could help a marginal engine pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back