new adblocker for Firefox beats Adblock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Be warned adguard does NOT prevent the downloading of ads, only hides them on the screen. It is not a good extension, IMO.

I am not sure that any ad blockers prevent the data from being first downloaded by your browser. I was/ am under the impression that in order to have the ads not downloaded in the first place, you'd have to mirror all of those IP and domains from the varying ad block lists out there in your OS's "hosts" file.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Be warned adguard does NOT prevent the downloading of ads, only hides them on the screen. It is not a good extension, IMO.

I am not sure that any ad blockers prevent the data from being first downloaded by your browser. I was/ am under the impression that in order to have the ads not downloaded in the first place, you'd have to mirror all of those IP and domains from the varying ad block lists out there in your OS's "hosts" file.

adblock does prevent the data from being downloaded. there are many extensions that do that.

Source?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Source?

The adguard website. Unless they have updated the code recently, it only hides and not block.

EDIT: looks like it is the chrome version that cannot prevent downloading ads.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks! I remember reading somewhere about Adguard that the standalone paid product does block the code before it even gets to the browser, where as the code does get into the browser via the browser addons. You say adblock does block the code from seeing the browser though?

I use Adblock Edge on all machines, works great, but I just installed Chrome and noticed it isn't available so I tried Adguard after reading about it in this thread. Seems to work well, no complaints so far.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I use Adblock Edge on all machines, works great, but I just installed Chrome and noticed it isn't available so I tried Adguard after reading about it in this thread. Seems to work well, no complaints so far.

The best one I have found so far for chrome as far as performance is ublock (microblock).

Thanks. So, what is a comparable add-on for IE?

Mother is very used to IE, so I wanted to install some protection for her in that browser.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks. So, what is a comparable add-on for IE?

Mother is very used to IE, so I wanted to install some protection for her in that browser.

Just use the built-in one for IE. Subscribe it to the easylists.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

The best one I have found so far for chrome as far as performance is ublock (microblock).

Thanks, I'll try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back