Honda A02 with ~5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil and filter every 5k miles on our '08 CR-V. This was a 5k mile run of QSUD 5W-30 with an A02. Nothing to see here, really. Pretty standard stuff for an A02. This is the first one I've personally cut open (that I can remember, anyway), and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. The fiber end caps feel extremely strong.

IMG_20141214_184803232.jpg

It's currently got Peak 0W-20 with another A02.

Looks great as always! These are well made filters. Ill keep running my Fram Ultras though, just not a huge fan of the low efficiency. I did run these for 3 or 4 oil changes with no issues.

Looks fine. This one is Fram made and not Champ made as the new Carquest filter promotional video posted here appears to imply is happening. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how that actually plays out to see what is truly accurate.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks fine. This one is Fram made and not Champ made as the new Carquest filter promotional video posted here appears to imply is happening. ...

That one appears to be Honeywell made vs current which just say "made in USA" and I don't believe the latest ones have the big H on top.

I think you fellas are misinterpreting the Carquest video. Assembly line and service parts supply chain can differ. I believe Champ is saying they supply the factory line.

It has been posted here that factory installed Ford filters are Champ vs Motorcraft and GM factory filters were not the same as service parts filters way back into the 80's when I worked on them.

In short, I would not expect the see the service parts change based on the video.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks fine. This one is Fram made and not Champ made as the new Carquest filter promotional video posted here appears to imply is happening. ...

....I think you fellas are misinterpreting the Carquest video. Assembly line and service parts supply chain can differ. I believe Champ is saying they supply the factory line.....

Perhaps, but I've never seen a Champ made Honda oil filter, either from the assembly line or as an over the counter dealer part. Only ever seen the Fram made A02 (other than non related A01), from whoever was/is Fram's parent company. Otoh I have seen the FoMoCo assembly line filter as opposed to MC line.

If the assembly line Honda filter as speculated is Champ made, I'd be interested in seeing it's construction.

That's not a Honeywell. Although I agree OEM "off the line" filters often differ from aftermarket OEM filter replacements and I think that is what Jay may have been referring to in the video.

It does the JOB.. its better then FRAM EXTRA GUARD... SILICONE ADBV...

Its similar to a TOUGH GAURD IMO...

However I use the A01s

Nice looking filter. I have no problem with fiber end caps... makes for a good seal with the leaf spring.

Thanks for posting. I just recently got one of the A02s as well. This might be the first time I've used the A02 since the dealer I buy them from I always stocked the A01s.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
A good quality filter that uses fiber end caps. How can that be with so many self-appointed experts saying they are junk. :))

They are not the FRAM Extra Gaurd..

They have a Silcone ADBV and also Im pretty sure they filter element is the same as TOUGH GAURD.

It does the JOB...

I have used the A02 and cut them open and they seem solid IMO.

However I like my A01s

I'm a fan of the A01 Filtech filter, but this one doesn't look too bad. I've used the A02s a few times in the past and they worked just fine.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
A good quality filter that uses fiber end caps. How can that be with so many self-appointed experts saying they are junk. :))

Well not everyone says all FRAMs are JUNK

I think most people just really dont like the FRAM EXTRA GAURD.

Now the FRAM TOUGH GAURD uses Cardboard End Caps and people here like em.

The HONDA A02 looks more like a FRAM TOUGH GAURD side by side to EXTRA GAURD.

The A02 Has more Pleats then a EXTRA GAURD and SILCONE ADBV just like a TOUGH GAURD.

So when ppl say the HONDA A02s look good they dont refer to the Fram Extra Gaurd.

However personally I have used FRAM Extra Gaurd and never had problems, however I changed teh oil at 3000 Miles...

Thing some people dont like about the Fram Extra Gaurd is there are oil filters for a lesser price that is better oil filter.... Like NAPA SILVER or A/C DELCO if you can find a non E CORE.... Or Motorcraft... They are all about the same price or cheaper then a FRAM Extra Gaurd and are better filters IMO.

IMO

The TOUGH GAURD

THE FRAM ULTRA are both very good oil filters.

Im not a big fan of the HIGH MILAGE or THE Extra Gaurd.

However I have used them both in the past...

Originally Posted By: AccordK24
I'm a fan of the A01 Filtech filter, but this one doesn't look too bad. I've used the A02s a few times in the past and they worked just fine.

Yea I have the A01 on my Honda right now... Great Filter..
I did a cut open on a A01 and posted pic and it had I think 4K miles and it looked great.

I could of left it on another 4K miles probably.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
Thanks for posting. I have the A02 on my van now and plan to run 10k on it.

If you use FULL SYN and have always kept your oil up then I guess 10k miles on a OEM A02 is risky

IMO your pushing it b/c the HONDA A02 is not a long OCI oil filter.

I see it having no problem doing 6k or even 7k but 9k or 10k i think is to much.

think about it.. if you car has 100k miles and you only went through 10 oil filters...

I think the FRAM Ultra can do 10k easy....

however I think the A02 should not be used that long... perhaps when the car is new but not once you start to pile up miles and that engine starts to get dirty, if you oil filter cant keep up then.. i dunno I just would not run the A02 for 10k miles

up to you.

also oil filters are not expensive..... 8$ for a fram ultra

10k miles it can do fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back