What is considered "operating temp" of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know different engines from different manufacturers will have their own "normal" operating temperature. But as a general rule of thumb, what would be considered "normal" oil temp? I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country (rental car) and it had an oil temp gauge. The oil temp was usually around 184 deg F after 30-45 minutes of driving in 70 deg ambient weather.
I was under the impression oil temp should be closer to 212 deg for any moisture to evaporate.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
I was under the impression oil temp should be closer to 212 deg for any moisture to evaporate.

212F is the boiling point of water, but water will gladly evaporate even at much lower temp. It'll just take slightly longer to do so.

180F oil temp can be considered normal, depending on particular engine design.

I would think the oil temp varies a little depending on where it is in the engine. Oil sprayed up under a piston or circulating around an exhaust valve or port would temporarily reach a relatively high temp. Oil dripping down the inside of the cam chain cover would be much cooler.

Last edited:
My Z06 oil temperature runs between 195 and 215 deg F most of the time. I'd say 200 deg F is what most vehicles on the road run at.

Oil temps are platform and operation specific and are affected by many things.
So I'd say there's a target range that is optimal.
My charger runs at 213f at 70mph with cruise set. It'll go higher depending on revs and pedal.
I think anything under 180f is less than optimal.

In open air environment water evaporates at all temperature above freezing.

Operating temperature is engine dependent, I think between 180F and 230F are good, much higher or lower are not so good.

"Normal" is engine, application, and outdoor temperature specific.

My '04 F150 with the 5.4 V8 and a 7qt sump runs at 180 in the winter and 200 ish under normal summer driving.

My '07 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 and a 6 qt sump runs 195 in the winter and 205-210 in the summer.

The biggest difference between the two is the F150 has a mechanically activated fan clutch and the Explorer is electrically activated. Much less fan usage that keeps things warmer under the hood.

For many drivers the problem is not maximum oil temperature but too much driving at temperatures well below normal operating temperatures. For many drivers the oil change intervals should be determined by how much driving is done with less than normal oil temperature. If these needed shorter intervals are being indicated by the new OLM's then owners that keep their cars beyond the factory warranty can feel confident that they are taking good care of their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: zray
The previous several postings are referring to the water, or coolant, temperatures. Wasn't the OP asking about oil temps ?

OP was asking about oil temps, but he was also asking about the evaporation of moisture (water) from the oil.
The answers given addressed this, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
"Normal" is engine, application, and outdoor temperature specific.

My '04 F150 with the 5.4 V8 and a 7qt sump runs at 180 in the winter and 200 ish under normal summer driving.

My '07 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 and a 6 qt sump runs 195 in the winter and 205-210 in the summer.

The biggest difference between the two is the F150 has a mechanically activated fan clutch and the Explorer is electrically activated. Much less fan usage that keeps things warmer under the hood.

My 04 5.4 3V 150 is similar. Recent long run of 300+ highway miles, ambient temps 30-38 most of the way with M1 5-20 saw my oil temp mainly at 186F +/- a few depending on the hills and speed. Coolant temp was mainly 192F (our thermostat is 190F). Summer time, same type of driving, my oil is more around upper 190's and hills or WOT get it to 202F.

If I IR gun the oil pan on the Jeep after a good drive in the winter, it'll be around 185 - 200, depending on city vs highway driving, etc. In the summer, it's usually 190 - 210. If you make it do some real work it'll get hotter. IMO, anything above 180* is warm enough, somewhere around 190 - 220 is ideal. On the hot end, I wouldn't worry until 250 for most engines (assuming synth oil). Short term, bursts of 270 or so won't kill anything, but I wouldn't want to see sustained temps that high.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
I know different engines from different manufacturers will have their own "normal" operating temperature. But as a general rule of thumb, what would be considered "normal" oil temp? I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country (rental car) and it had an oil temp gauge. The oil temp was usually around 184 deg F after 30-45 minutes of driving in 70 deg ambient weather.
Oil temp on a minivan! Who other than a BITOG type would look at it? Most minivan drivers put black tape over the oil light. Was it part of a "oowing package"?

Last edited:
The previous several postings are referring to the water, or coolant, temperatures. Wasn't the OP asking about oil temps ?

In my case, no, I was referring to oil temperature. Both my '04 F150 and '07 Explorer have oil pan temperature sensors that are used in the control of the VCT. It is readable by using a scanner or something like the Scanguage II.

Both vehicles have 192 (195) degree thermostats. Oil temp stays below the cooling temp in the truck in colder weather.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For many drivers the problem is not maximum oil temperature but too much driving at temperatures well below normal operating temperatures. For many drivers the oil change intervals should be determined by how much driving is done with less than normal oil temperature..........."

Absolutely. People are killing their oil and their engines by driving off before the engine has warmed sufficiently on these short trips. . While it's true that idling too long, by literal definition, is not the best way to warmup your engine, there is nothing wrong, and everything right, with modulating the throttle frequently until the engine is warmed before driving off. Especially if the trip is short,and the engine will not be warmed up enough otherwise by just the driving.

Z

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Oil temp stays below the cooling temp in the truck in colder weather.

This is true of most vehicles.

Conversely, in hot summers or when the engine is working very hard, oil temperatures tend to run a little hotter than coolant temps.

On my Gen Coupe 2L and on the track in hot weather the oil temps have buried the gauge at +300F on Mobil 1 5w30. Oil report came back good keep on using it.

Installed an oil cooler with 160F t-stat and it ran too cold in the winter at 160F.

Now I have an oil/coolant heat exchanger that the filter mounts on and this really helps to bring the oil temp up quicker. It will still run below coolant temp or 180F though now with the temps in the 30Fs.

Never had it back out on the track but prolonged interstate driving with the AC on and ambient temps in the 90Fs will just get it to 200-210F or so.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For many drivers the problem is not maximum oil temperature but too much driving at temperatures well below normal operating temperatures. For many drivers the oil change intervals should be determined by how much driving is done with less than normal oil temperature..........."

Absolutely. People are killing their oil and their engines by driving off before the engine has warmed sufficiently on these short trips. . While it's true that idling too long, by literal definition, is not the best way to warmup your engine, there is nothing wrong, and everything right, with modulating the throttle frequently until the engine is warmed before driving off. Especially if the trip is short,and the engine will not be warmed up enough otherwise by just the driving.

Z

So what constitutes "short trips" in winter? My Regal doesn't have an oil temp gauge or instrument readout. In the long long summers here, I'm sure my 9-12 mile commute, with about 5-6 miles at highway speeds, is enough to warm the oil. But what about the times, rare as they are, when the temps dip below freezing?

Last winter, when we had a spell of what (for here) was brutal below-32 cold, I would start the car at 6 am, let it idle for perhaps a minute, then take off. It's some two miles to the bridge at speeds under 45, then the bridge itself and the expressway it becomes at anywhere from 50-65. About 5 miles of that, then surface streets the rest of the way -- total 20-25 minutes if there are no traffic troubles. Is that a "short trip" in cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back