Russia's Economic Disaster - why it matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our unconstrained economic warfare against Russia has produced a dramatic fall in the value of their currency over the past few months, causing it to reach about half of its value in just a matter of weeks.

Why does this matter to you, the non-Russian?

The bear is cornered. A cornered bear does no good to anyone.

Buy food, water, and iodine. Put together a shelter-in-place plan. Get a gas generator and keep it shielded where its electronics won't fuse together during an electromagnetic event. If things get out of hand, those who have put a tiny amount of thought into contingency planning will have a huge advantage over those who wait for FEMA to rescue them.

And if nothing happens, at least you've got food, drink and something to power essential appliances the next time a wind storm knocks out the power for a day or week.

Originally Posted By: Danno
"Unconstrained economic warfare" Really??
Many think we have not gone far enough to get the message through to Putin, me included.

Just buy food and water, the game's in play now! It won't cost too much, a couple cases of bottled water per household member, some canned food, that stuff is usually on sale somewhere and will hold for a decent while.

If you stocked up when I suggested for the Ebola crisis, later for civil unrest following unpopular court decisions, you're most of the way there anyway, just add some iodine to your stock. A dosimeter and SGE 400/3 gas mask with NBC filtration are optional.

The Russians are doing what they are because they see weakness in the West. They have to decide if the Ukraine is that important to them. The Russians like to control Christian buffer states between them and the Muslum world. Can't say as I blame them.
Didn't "somebody" hit the "reset button" a while back?

36.gif
IBTL

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I know that a secretary of state had her staff steal an 'overcharge' button from a jacuzzi at a Russian hotel they were staying at, and then presented it to a foreign minister in an infamous photo op..

Quite apropos considering the stark deterioration in relations since then.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The Russians are doing what they are because they see weakness in the West. They have to decide if the Ukraine is that important to them. The Russians like to control Christian buffer states between them and the Muslum world. Can't say as I blame them.

Yep, foreign policy available from Office Depot for $9.95.
"That was easy."

Originally Posted By: Trav
Maybe this will make for some real bargains on Russian watches for hard currency.

A very old joke from behind the Iron Curtain, that landed the teller in the gulag went something like "Soviet watches are the fastest in the world!"

Their economy is collapsing. What is Russia going to do with this pressure? Take over Ukraine?

Please help me understand this situation before I follow your advice. How would a war or some kind of a military attack help the Russians?

(And why do I need iodine?)

Last edited:
They may go ahead and secure the balance of Novorossiya, and Moldova could be next.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Please help me understand this situation before I follow your advice. How would a war or some kind of a military attack help the Russians?

Having nothing left to lose, they could seek out the balance of their foreign policy goal to recreate the USSR

And iodine is a first-response treatment for radiation.

I am always prepared to live without civilization for 3 months or so.......But the disaster I am prepared for is natural, not political. Collapse of this great nation is not eminent, and any political fallout from world situations would be a slow and predictable thing. Russia and its citizens are used to economic collapse........They have them with great regularity. It is part of the tragedy of being Russian.

The sooner they figure out that Putin is a bull in a china shop, but only a small, ineffectual bull, the better off they will be.

Trillions of dollars playing war in the middle east and Afghanistan? What is there to show for it? China and the Soviet Union [Russia to the tv watchers] is laughing at our military and most likely the whole nation.

Every year in the US people are put in survival situations due to flooding, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes.

But forget about that stuff. Beware the decline in Soviet currency. And no matter what don't help those affected by actual disasters. Why donate to a guy whose house just washed down a river when you can buy more stuff to add to your doomsday prepper hoarde?

By all means have supplies to last a few days. But not because of what might happen due to Russia. But what will happen and does happen every year due to mother nature not quite being conquered by man.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
They may go ahead and secure the balance of Novorossiya, and Moldova could be next.

Having nothing left to lose, they could seek out the balance of their foreign policy goal to recreate the USSR

And iodine is a first-response treatment for radiation.

So, they would "take us out first" as a pre-emptive strike so that smaller nations would be left to themselves to fight - is that what you're saying?

As for the iodine, how much and how is it used?

As for a generator, don't forget a hefty supply of fuel. It's the reason that if this did happen, I would not want to be dependent on electric power. My situation is such that I could live without electric power - though I'd miss my time on Bitog.

I see the GOP gaining the Oval Office in 2016, and maybe they will take a more hard line approach to Russian nonsense. That is the only thing Russia respects, POWER.

(And why do I need iodine?)

Iodine is in case they drop a nuke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back