08' Elantra Timing Belt change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I bought a 2008 Hyundai Elantra with under 30K a couple of years ago.
It was used as a short commute vehicle by a teacher.
It had a Mobil 1 oil filter on it when I bought it so somebody seemed to take decent care of it.

It now has 50K and my daughter uses it to go to college 5 hours from home. She drives the 600 mile roundtrip several times a year and the only maintenance I haven't done is the timing belt. The OM says to change it at 90K or 72 months and then again at 150K or 120 months. (I wonder why they only recommend 60K and 4 years on the replacement?)

Does anybody have any experience with the timing belt on the Hyundai Beta engine?
The car is past the 72 months but is far below the 90K...should I change it while she's home for the holidays or can it go further?

PS: We really like this car....it rides much better than our Corolla without much penalty in MPGs. It doesn't burn a drop of oil which is important when dealing with college aged kids.

I don't have any experience with this engine but I would personally lean toward changing it based on the owners manual for months since age and hot and cold may have some effect on the life of the belt.

I would change it early along with the tensioner and idler pulleys.

I do my Accent every 50k.

How easy is it to remove the top portion of the timing belt cover to check the condition of the belt? I did that on my Wife's Honda civic prior to changing the belt. It gave me the confidence to leave the belt in for another year.

I changed the belt on her 97 Civic car at 127,xxx (approx 78K miles) km in 2010.

Are you changing the belt yourself or getting someone else to do it? If it were me, I would get it done in the summer when she comes back home.

Regards, JC.

I think knowing if it is a interference motor, or not would sway you to change it sooner then later. My wifes belt broke this summer and the mech that it got towed to was trying to prepare me for buying a new motor. Luckily, it wasn't. So just replacing the belt and reassembly,made it a short and sweet repair. But if the valves kiss the pistons, all bets are off.,,

I'll take a closer look and see if there is an easy way to check the belt and if it looks good I'll leave it until summer.

I'll probably pay a guy I know who works on cars at a reasonable
price.

I'm still wondering why Hyundai thinks it's necessary to change the replacement belt early?....maybe they assume that the tensioner wasn't being changed?

Should be easy to take the top of the cover off. When I changed my first one the tensioner pulley was throwing grease.

A timing belt kit is around $150 for OEM parts, cheaper with aftermarket. Time for new belts too.

3 bolts which are semi accessible with a socket set. however, the beta 2 is incredibly stout. i'm tearing into one soon which is at 141k and i'm fairly certain its never been serviced.

Last edited:
Weird. My '09's OM says 60K miles/48 mos. for the timing belt changes. Its got the same Hyundai 2.0L Beta.

I've done both my Hyundais. I did my Accent at 72K miles and the Elantra was at 62K miles. They're fairly easy to replace all the belts and tensioners. I even left the OE water pump (for now), since there was no play, no leaks, and the coolant CI has always been as per the specified intervals.

I recommend the Gates timing kit for OEM belts and tensioners for a lot less. I have a GMB (made in Korea) water pump which looks high quality as well.

I would change it when she comes home for the holidays for peace of mind. What if it breaks on one of her long trips later, leaving her stranded? Be aware that visual inspection is not a good way to evaluate remaining belt life.

About the shorter change interval on replacement belts, I suppose it is all about the factory's uncertainty of the skill and competence of the guy behind the wrench. Like overtightening or leaving too much slack on the replacement part, for example.

When the belts fail they usually strip out the nubs at the crank pulley. Really can't see any wear to speak of with a visual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back