I dont ride anymore... sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SV650 is my 2nd bike and i've only rode for last 3-4 years.

My first bike GS500F, i rode everytime i got for any reason i can find, first year i logged maybe 3000miles ( only had like 3 riding months), 2nd year i logged maybe 8000-9000 miles. Sold it and got into my SV650n, i mainly rode streets. 3rd year i maybe 2000-3000 miles. And this last year, i barely had time so 1000-1500.

Life changes, work and play time is all over the place. Picked up different hobbies, means less time to ride and enjoy. Plus Chicago isn't ideal weather to ride, with all the random weather.

Bike cost me $250 insurance, $100 registration and w/e wear and tear is done.

I've consider selling it in the spring, as i dont see me having any time next year to ride either. I think i would be LUCKY to have 800 miles next year. I dont need the money, the space could be nice but i dont need that either. I just feel motorcycles are meant to be ridden, not stored in the garage and under covers. If i do sell, maybe i'll get another one down the road if i ever have the time, maybe a supersport.

I'm sure many of you guys have thought about it every now and then, what makes you guys lean one or the other way. My insurnace and paperwork is still paid til april 2015, so once spring comes around i'll ride as much as i can while listing it to see if i can get a buyer.

IDK, it's a tough decision!

I have contemplated, selling off the Firebird FORMULA in my signature. I've owned it since brand new(ordered it) and it only has just over 40K original miles on her. I drive it, maybe, 400-500 miles per summer these days.

She still looks GREAT! I've lost interest in her over the last 20 something years but, she isn't a money pit. I still think about selling her and focusing on other things during the summers...or, getting something else! IDK!

It happens with men and their toys. You gotta have a new toy or you will have to go to therapy, so hey, have you owned an airplane?
lol.

Sell one, but keep the one you like best. You never know when you'll get an itch to go for a ride and if yo can afford to have the luxury of a fun vehicle sitting there to use when the mood takes you, you should definitely take advantage of it
smile.gif

Is it depreciating? Could you buy something you'd like as much, and would be as confident of, for what you'd get for it?

Yes : sell

No : don't

Alright.....you talked me into it. I'll take it off your hands for $500. Wash that bad boy up. I'll be up there this weekend.

Hello,
Since you're not riding much at all......
I like to look at situations like this "immersed-in-human-contact".
By that I mean....Put it on the FOR SALE section of your choosing.
Meet lots of people, feel 'em out, don't rush. Get your price and enjoy selling it is my respectful suggestion.
See where and how bikes are traded in your part of the world. Maybe ride it to a Springtime Rally.

Things get messed up in storage. Move it out while it still looks good.
You may rekindle your love while you're polishing it up for sale.

You've changed. Keep investigating your other hobbies etc.

Make your price fair to both parties. That'll guarantee time enough to change your mind.

Whatever you do, make it fun or at least engaging (interesting). Kira

Sell it. As said above you can always pick up another gently used bike.

I had a Yamaha Virago XV750 a few years, rode Mar-Dec, and sold it, about breaking even. I'd do it again later someday and it was fun.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Sell one, but keep the one you like best. You never know when you'll get an itch to go for a ride and if yo can afford to have the luxury of a fun vehicle sitting there to use when the mood takes you, you should definitely take advantage of it
smile.gif

I only have one, i sold my first bike to buy the 2nd one. Like i said, it only cost me less then $700 a year to keep.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Is it depreciating? Could you buy something you'd like as much, and would be as confident of, for what you'd get for it?

Its a 2003 bike with low miles, while its MINT and how i want it, i dont think I will see the same bike this clean. But i can always get something newer that peaks my interest.

Bikes like the new 3cylinder Yamaha, FZ9 or street/speed triples have caught my eye. Just not very high on my list.

I guess i shall list it up for sale soon and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Originally Posted By: Olas
smile.gif

I only have one, i sold my first bike to buy the 2nd one. Like i said, it only cost me less then $700 a year to keep.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Its a 2003 bike with low miles, while its MINT and how i want it, i dont think I will see the same bike this clean. But i can always get something newer that peaks my interest.

Bikes like the new 3cylinder Yamaha, FZ9 or street/speed triples have caught my eye. Just not very high on my list.

I guess i shall list it up for sale soon and see what happens.

Once you figure out how much you want, and are ready too sell list it here as well. some of us here may be interested. I certainly could be.

I'd keep it, even riding it a few times a year makes it worth it. I'm riding my first bike, a GS500, still, after about 7 years. It's not worth enough to try sell, and I wouldn't anyway. I really love my GS500. Never a concern that someone will steal it, and it's been through enough that if I find it on its side one day, I just pick it up and she starts up.

I doubt your SV is depreciating too much more at this point. I would try lower insurance to minimize the cost to keep. Liability only on my GS500 through Progressive is $98 per year.

You'll find another bike. Who thinks their bike is special and super clean? Everybody. Who doesn't ride as much as they thought they would? Nearly everybody. (Not Goldwing owners.
laugh.gif
) Who takes care of their bikes, storing them inside on trickle chargers with sta-bil in the gas, on carpet so the tires don't get cold, etc? Everybody. Etc etc.

At least list it in the spring, you can decide when you get an offer if you want to take it.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

I doubt your SV is depreciating too much more at this point. I would try lower insurance to minimize the cost to keep. Liability only on my GS500 through Progressive is $98 per year.

It isn't, I wouldn't get the money that I put in for the full exhaust but thats about it.
I have full coverage at $250, being from the same city, you know how stupid drivers can be. My biggest fear is not thief but parking on the street and have someone back into it simply because they didn't see it.

If i do decide to sell, i'll list it here for sure.

I haven't ridden my Triumph much in the last 14 months due to work/kids in college/ailing parent time restraints. But I will never not have a motorcycle in my garage. I will ride it more in the coming season since some of my issues have been resolved.

Once it's paid for the upkeep is cheaper than the depreciation cost of a new one. Plus, I know how it's been maintained.

I've ridden road bikes for the last 24 years. Sometimes I go a couple of weeks between rides, and by that stage, I'm climbing the walls. I love bikes, and I love riding, even if it's just the commute to work. Rain, hail or shine, doesn't matter, gotta have my fix. If you love something, you MAKE time to do it. It doesn't sound like you're passionate about bikes at all, so I say sell, and move onto the next "thing", maybe it'll be just what you're looking for. And hey, if you do find you just can't live without a bike - you can always buy another!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back