Camry XLE V6: Alternative to regular ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently my 1998 Toyota Camry V6 XLE is running on the regular ATF. But I am thinking to change it to Amsoil Transmission fluid for better operation.I want to know whether it is worth or not.

Thank You,

Chand

I noticed a difference in my 2007 Mazda6, but in older transmissions you may not notice if you're not hard on the car.

At least with Amsoil you can go 2x the severe service interval vs others. Even then a UOA will tell the whole story.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Maxlife Dex/Merc is a favorite here; a friend uses it in her 02 Tundra.

It is an economical (and synthetic) choice for about $24/gal.

+1 on the Maxlife. I haven't tried Amsoil, but I've tried both Mobil 1 and Maxlife and the performance is nearly identical on my 98 Sienna. You would need about 4 quarts for a drain and fill, so Maxlife will be half the cost.

If your Camry has a filter/Strainer, I would also drop the pan and change that as well.

Regards, JC.

What does "better operation" mean? Gen 4 Camry autos will go 300 K with regular by the book fluid changes. The real problem is unless you go for a 100 dollar "exchange" using the cooler lines you only get a portion of the fluid out anyway. The torque converter doesn't drain. I've used SuperTech for years, and several hundred K. If the tranny isn't giving you the "operation" you want perhaps there is something fialing in it that the most expensive mouse milk won't fix.

Last edited:
Amsoil isn't worth it. Maxlife is. There's also Mag 1 synthetic ATF very cheap on Amazon and it's great too.

How many miles on it? How often do you usually change it?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Maxlife Dex/Merc is a favorite here; a friend uses it in her 02 Tundra.

It is an economical (and synthetic) choice for about $24/gal.

It's much less than $24/gal at Walmart.

I'm an Amsoil fan myself. I go with the recommended fluid on the Amsoil online application guide and have never been disappointed. I use their synthetic ATF in my Saab's Aisin Warner 5-speed auto transmission, and in my Dodge Ram transfer case and power steering system. In the Saab I do a drain & fill at every other oil change, which is approx 10k miles and one year. So, for about $35/year my transmission fluid stays nice and clean, and the trans runs as smooth as 15 yr-old scotch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back