Options for 5.75" Vintage Car Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What improved lighting options exist for me that I may have missed:

1) Sealed Beam Halogens (GE and Wagner) #5001 and #5006 - About $8 each. I tried these on my 68 GTO and they were fine, most of my driving at night is in the city core with maybe 5% rural at night.
2) Cibie e-Code H4 / H1 - $115 each (roughly), these are very nice and I usually use these but they are pricy and I get popped with rocks pretty much every year or so. Special order through Stern or Aardvark only as far as I know. I have bought from Aardvark and was very happy with the product and service.
3) Hella - $50 each, I have not tried these, I am not clear on availability nor style (I want a domed face not flat).

Any other options I may have missed? I love the Scott Drake product but he doesn't make a GM T3 logo'd version. LED, I have only seen 7" and the cost is pretty high.

Thanks,

Marc

I put autopal H4s in my firebird and they were awesome. Real glass lens, reasonable pricing. Find 'em on ebay.

Dan Stern Lighting.com. "Candlepower" is another good site. Or just Google H4 Lamp assembly. Hella makes very good products, BTW. I have seen clear plastic stick on rock shields for these units. Be sure you get lamps set up for LEFY hand drive. The Brits use lamps with a different pattern. Peugeot 504s sold here often came with a 5.75 high beam SPOT on the driver's side and a flood on the passenger side. THAT worked very well. The rest of the car.....well, not os much.

Last edited:
I have the Cibie and Hella 7" E Codes on my two Rovers and, while I prefer the Cibie main beam pattern, it is not that much better to warrant the cost differential. I have also found the Hella's, at least the 7" lamps, to be much tougher than the Cibies. The Hella 7" lamps are almost flat faced, not sure about the 5.75".

Lucas used to make round faced 5.75 housings, but I do not know if whoever owns the trademark still makes them. I have new Lucas 7" on a car and they are nice...this would be a nice period correct option if you can find them.

There are other brands, mostly Far Eastern, but with the other quality alternatives, I don't see any compelling reason to go there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I put autopal H4s in my firebird and they were awesome. Real glass lens, reasonable pricing. Find 'em on ebay.

Found them, thanks, good tip I didn't know about.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels

Lucas used to make round faced 5.75 housings, but I do not know if whoever owns the trademark still makes them. I have new Lucas 7" on a car and they are nice...this would be a nice period correct option if you can find them.

I will keep my eyes open for Lucas. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Dan Stern Lighting.com. "Candlepower" is another good site. Or just Google H4 Lamp assembly. Hella makes very good products, BTW. I have seen clear plastic stick on rock shields for these units. Be sure you get lamps set up for LEFY hand drive. The Brits use lamps with a different pattern. Peugeot 504s sold here often came with a 5.75 high beam SPOT on the driver's side and a flood on the passenger side. THAT worked very well. The rest of the car.....well, not os much.

Thanks. Do the stick-ons degrade the light at all?

Bosch and hella make acceptable alternatives to cibie which is really the gold standard. Mine are fairly flat on the front, but I know my bosch units were rounded on the front...

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Found them, thanks, good tip I didn't know about.

I ordered these tonight. Total of $93 USD for the set of 4. I will at least give them a shot, they sound good (glass lens, convex etc.) and they are 1/4 of the price of my usual Cibies. If they don't work out (poor quality), it isn't too big of a loss. Reviews have been unanimously favorable so I am optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back