Maxlife Dex/Merc instead of 3309 for a 05 Saab 9-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did three rounds of drain and fill with Maxlife in my 05 Saab 9-5. People on the Saab site seem to think that this is a bad idea. I tend to think it's not. What's the present consensus?

It should be fine as 3309 is similar, maybe same, as the Toyota T-IV spec that Maxlife also meets.

Some of the saab guys might come back stating that only the oem stuff/3309 should be used but my 05 Equinox has an AW transmission and it runs great on maxlife.

I didn't use Maxlife, but I did find that Castrol IMV worked very well in a 3309 application if that helps at all.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
It should be fine as 3309 is similar, maybe same, as the Toyota T-IV spec that Maxlife also meets.

Toyota T-IV is the same as 3309. Some of our older Hyundais that used Aisin transmissions used the same fluid. It is labeled as both 3309 and T-IV.

I also agree 3309 and T-IV are the same. I've been using Maxlife in place of T-IV for years with no trouble in a '03 Tacoma and an '04 4runner both bought new. Does the Saab shift OK with Maxlife? If it does and it were my car, I'd leave it in there and call it a day.

I saw the thread you began on the SaabCentral forum asking the same question. There are a few die-hards on that site who insist you must use a mineral oil-based 3309 oil such as T-IV or Saab 3309. Personally I believe that is nonsense. I've been using Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 2003 Saab 9-5, which has the same Aisin Warner AF33/AW55 5-speed transmission as your 2005 9-5. I do a drain & fill at every other oil change. My trans has 145k miles and it runs like a sewing machine (knock on wood).

Shifting is actually smoother with the Maxlife. Engine idles better, too. I suspect that Maxlife is slightly thinner than the original fluid.

Hello, We have a 2005 and a 2002 Saab 9-5.
Both have the same AW55-50S transmission calling for a 3309 fluid.
My 2002 Volvo V70 has the same trans and calls for the same fluid.

Been using Valvoline MaxLife Dex-Merc (red jug) for a long time.
Before that I went through 2 cases of Wolf's Head Super Deluxe Synthetic Transmission fluid.
Before that I used 2 cases of Genuine Toyota Type-IV (T-IV) from a dealer.
Before that I used a case ofMobil 3309 a shop in Virginia was mistakenly sent.

One beauty of the red jug is that the 1999 Saab 9-5 and 1999 V70 (both with 4 speed units calling for older Dex-Merc) can use the Valvoline Dex-Merc too.

No problems of any kind. Lots of vehicle-years, plenty of vehicle-miles. Kira

Thanks for all of the testimonials. It makes me feel better.

I'm thinking about trying Maxlife Dex/Merc in my RX300 which calls for T-IV. Sounds like it'll work just fine, and it's a bit cheaper than getting 3309/T-IV.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Originally Posted By: hypervish
I'm thinking about trying Maxlife Dex/Merc in my RX300 which calls for T-IV. Sounds like it'll work just fine, and it's a bit cheaper than getting 3309/T-IV.

You could also try the Castrol IMV ATF.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06814-6PK-...6909&sr=1-1

I've used that in the past for over 60k miles, but it's about the same price as T-IV.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

You could also try the Castrol IMV ATF.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06814-6PK-...6909&sr=1-1

I've used that in the past for over 60k miles, but it's about the same price as T-IV.

Ah, missed your signature. With no Wal-Marts near me, Amazon is where I usually turn for ATF and it's only a couple bucks more plus free shipping.

The GF's Volvo needs the 3309 fluid, but according to forums the Maxlife can be used as well. Cant beat the price IMO.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Shifting is actually smoother with the Maxlife. Engine idles better, too. I suspect that Maxlife is slightly thinner than the original fluid.

That is not necessarily a good thing, it could mean that
there is more "slip" before engagement between gears and that means
INCREASED wear.

In general you want the quickest engagement between gears with the least slip possible without jarring your teeth out or putting more wear on other related components. So a firm shift is better for longer transmission life. You can use MaxLife but the life of your transmission might be reduced.

There is a reason why SAAB specified a dino based product.
The auto unit may have had changes to it specified by SAAB.
Which could have included the electronic TCU, mechanical,
seals, ect. If anything I would go with
Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF..at least that is a dino based product with friction modifiers that meet 3309 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back